HELP Extreme constipation 1 week post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP Extreme constipation 1 week post hysterectomy HELP Extreme constipation 1 week post hysterectomy

Unread 01-26-2021, 08:28 AM
HELP Extreme constipation 1 week post hysterectomy

I am one week post total hysterectomy with tubes and ovaries removed via da vinci laparoscopic surgery. Have had remarkably easy recuperation except I am so painfully constipated that I am in tears. I increased colace to 3x a day, added mirilax two days ago per nurse when I called doctor, I eat prunes, drink lots, walk around etc. With the added otc meds I am now crampy but still nothing happening and I actually feel sick from being blocked up. I have another call into the doctor but who knows when they will call back. Should I try a suppository? I am so miserable, this constipation issue is painful. What has worked for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2021, 01:42 PM
Re: HELP Extreme constipation 1 week post surgery

I am in Week 5 of recovery. It does get better. I now have a bowel movement every day.

1) Weeks 1-2: A light diet. I ate a hospital bland diet of broths, turkey sandwiches w/ white bread, etc. Simple carbs, small meals. This gave my digestive system time to get back to normal.

2) Water. I drank 64-96oz a day

3) Magnesium supplement before bed. I take Smarty Pants Mineral supplement. You can find magnesium only gummies at CVS.

4) Chia seeds cooked with my oatmeal.

Best wishes with healing.
Unread 01-26-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fys View Post
I am one week post total hysterectomy with tubes and ovaries removed via da vinci laparoscopic surgery. Have had remarkably easy recuperation except I am so painfully constipated that I am in tears. I increased colace to 3x a day, added mirilax two days ago per nurse when I called doctor, I eat prunes, drink lots, walk around etc. With the added otc meds I am now crampy but still nothing happening and I actually feel sick from being blocked up. I have another call into the doctor but who knows when they will call back. Should I try a suppository? I am so miserable, this constipation issue is painful. What has worked for you?
I took miralax everyday. And a probiotic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2021, 05:01 AM

I would actually recommend against using suppositories, because your bowel can become dependent on them, which would make matters worse in the long run. In addition to plenty of water, top drink picks to get things moving include peppermint tea, and a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon. If you are looking for relief at the drugstore, my top pick would be a psyllium based product like Metamucil, which can help to bump up your fiber intake to the recommended level of 25 grams per day; other fiber champions include whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran, legumes, most fruits and vegetables, and ground flaxseeds. My top pick for a magnesium supplement is Natural Calm; other magnesium superstars include dark chocolate, leafy greens, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, and almonds. The sugar alcohols that give prunes their laxative powers can also be found in apple or pear juice, dried apricots, frozen cherries, and sugarless gum; try stewing prunes in apple juice, or add cherries, spinach, and ground flaxseeds to a smoothie, to give your bowels an extra kick. What can also help to give your bowels an extra kick is squatting on the throne after every meal, with your feet elevated on a small footstool; this stimulates the gastro-colic reflex, in which the stomach tells the brain that it's full, then the brain tells the colon to empty its contents, to make room for the new stuff coming in, and the squat position properly aligns the rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Happy pooping, and best wishes for continued health and healing!
Unread 01-27-2021, 06:13 AM
Re: HELP Extreme constipation 1 week post surgery

It can take 7-10 days to make that first BM. If you did any bowel prep or restricted diet prior to surgery, you were pretty empty coming out of it, and that alone can delay the first BM. The trauma of surgery and the narcotics and loss of appetite can also contribute to sluggish bowels. I also recall I had to manage my bowels for 7-8 weeks post op. If I slipped up for a day, I could expect a back log.

Fiber was a big part of my post-op routine. Go-to items were 1/2 cup of Fiber One original cereal (14 grams fiber), 1 cup raisin bran (7g), dried prunes (ick, 3g per serving), prune juice (icky-ick, requires a chaser of something that tastes better, 3g per serving). That was 27g fiber a day, plus the additional fiber you get from fruits & veggies. Also, enough water-water-water to swamp a canoe, definitely over 64 oz a day, more to the upper end of Finally78's suggestion.

I also wouldn't do a suppository without a doctor's okay. I used to suggest Smooth Move Tea (a senna tea) to give a little kick, and I'll suggest it to you. Be aware that senna products, whether this tea or a laxative like Senokot, work by stimulating bowel contractions - it could cause gas and cramps. I'm okay with that, but some members who've used it didn't like those side effects. If you don't make a BM soon, get ahold of your doctor.

Unread 01-27-2021, 06:30 AM

Thanks to all for suggestions! I called my surgeon's office yesterday. They said to take a full dose of mirilax every four hours along with the colace I was taking 3x a day. She said I could try a suppository if that didn't work but that if nothing worked by this morning I need to go to the ER to see if my bowels are impacted (which evidently can be a very serious condition). I took 3 full doses of mirilax over 12 hours, tried a suppository which did nothing, and went to sleep expecting to have to go to the hospital today. But yay! As soon as I woke I had to go and with no straining!! I've never been so happy to poop. Now I just need to tweak the mirilax to keep all moving. Other than that issue which is now hopefully resolved, I have had a very easy recovery. Only took ibuprofen, no bleeding, easy mobility getting up and down. One week ago from right now I was in surgery. Hoping recovery continues with no further problems!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register