Why wait so long to have a hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why wait so long to have a hysterectomy Why wait so long to have a hysterectomy

Unread 07-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Why wait so long to have a hysterectomy

Hi Denna,
The reason I waited so long to have a hysterectomy is because I thought I'd take after my mother who refused when the doctors pressured her to take her uterus out. Then, when she entered menopause, the fibroids shrank. However, mine did not. For me, removing an organ of the body comes with a lot of unanswered questions. There is a group called HERS (Hysterectomy Education Resource ???) which lobbies against having hysterectomy because of unforeseen changes to a woman's body, perhaps not right away but down the road apiece. Also, several of my relatives who had hysterectomies later developed cancer. Of course, there probably isn't a connection but it's stuff I think about. So, I fretted for years about doing this. I'm still not entirely satisfied with my decision. -- Ruth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2004, 09:42 PM

Ruth,

I had the same situation with my fibroids.

My mom had talked for years about having fibroids. Like they were her friends. How they did not bother her and that they did not grow. "No big deal" is what I got for years from her.

So...I thought if I was ever going to get fibroids, I would be like my mom.

Not!!! I had two large fibroids and my Dr. said I was too far out still from menopause for it to help. Plus, he said even if menopause was right around the corner it would not shrink my fibroids enough.

I guess the "uterus" is a very personal issue to all of us ladies. I was shocked when my Dr. advised a hyst. It was like,"You want to take my uterus...........!!"

After talking with my Dr., he said a uterus is good for two things: making a baby and an Aunt Flow. I think as women we attach the mental and emotional significance to the uterus.

I was curious about the H*** web site you listed. In my opinion, wow...night and day between it and Hyster Sisters. I guess I get a warm and fuzzy feel with H.S. The other site. Hmmmmmm.....

In pre-op, I read on another site that a hyst is the 2nd most diagnosed surgery per year for women. A C-section being the first. So..I guess 600+ women in a survey to me is not a big cross section of the hyst pool. Just my thoughts.

Anyway. Good luck.
Unread 07-30-2004, 10:16 PM

The reason I waited so long is because I was too busy keeping my house and family in order. Didn't think I could afford to take 6 weeks off. I finally got tired of being tired and worring about everyone else, I decided to take care of #1. I have pre-op Monday, surgery Tuesday. DH asked if he had to be there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2004, 11:10 PM

I didn't want to wait. If I could have had a hysterectomy when I wanted one, I would have had one about 5 years ago.

My problems started in my early 30's......progressively worse.....by my mid 30's I was begging for one.......the past year was horriffic!

Been told "No" so many times, I had lost all trust in doctors. Not enough problems that "insurance" would PAY for it! Boy did I get sick of hearing that! blah blah blah......

If this Doc had not went to bat for me.....I probably never would have ever seen a doctor again. (Only if I was unconscious and carried to the ER by ambulance!) I hate to sound like that, but I was sick of hearing: "it's normal in most women." grrrrrrrrrrr - Women walk around bleeding to death and it's normal! Puuuhhhleeeze......

I truly could feel a difference in my body the day after surgery. I actually felt better! Just one day after!

I am now 6 weeks post-op and feeling good!!!!! My Doc released me the other day.....don't need to see him for another year! And... the big "O" is w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best wishes to all the Ladies in Waiting!
Unread 07-31-2004, 05:17 AM
Why I waited so long

Thank you for your reponse. Very encouraging! -- Ruth
Unread 07-31-2004, 05:27 AM
my 2 cents

Hi, I too am the group of having waited years. I finally did it in Jan of 2004, and have no regrets. The site you are speaking of, I have read. I feel personally it is alot of hogwash. This is just my opinion. I have no more pain, bleeding, and I kept one ovary, and so far no hrt. my life is mine again. I can be a good wife and mother, and be at peace, no pain. i know there are 2 sides to every story, but after reading this site I think you all will agree, most of the ladies are very happy with their decisions to have the hyst. Best of luck what ever you decide. baily

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register