I am so scared! / what to bring | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am so scared! / what to bring I am so scared! / what to bring

Unread 01-19-2005, 11:13 AM
I am so scared! / what to bring

Hello all, My surgery is this friday and I am so scared, no matter how many people I have around me I am feeling so alone. I have made myself so sick that I will not have to do the bowel prep!
If anyone out there has any kind words for the worlds biggest baby before she enters the palace, please let me know! Also some advice on my packing and what not.
Thank you sisters,
Lady in waiting,
Jill3399
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2005, 11:17 AM

Good Luck!

As for what to pack go to the check points, there's some good info there.
Unread 01-19-2005, 11:25 AM

I am wishing you a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery. It is tough playing the waiting game. Try to relax and remember that you are not alone. ((Hugs))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2005, 11:34 AM

The waiting truly is the worst part! It won't be long now. Try to keep yourself busy and also take some time out to relax and de-stress. No words really can calm you down. I have been there and all the comments like "you'll be fine" and "it's okay" didn't do much for my nerves.

As for what to pack, don't over due it.

I brought...

pj's
deodorant
hairbrush/comb
toothpaste/toothbrush
magazines
mp3 player
lotion
shampoo and shower gel
a little makeup
slippers
housecoat
floss
I forgot chapstick...wished I had it.
I forgot my own pillow...wished I had that.

Best of luck on your surgery and try not to worry!

Sarah
Unread 01-19-2005, 12:31 PM

I'm scheduled for 2/2 and have been reading through alot of the hints. One suggestion that I have is to buy oil and not cream. It seems that your skin can get quite dry from the meds. My friend who is an esthetician turned me onto Sweet Almond Oil. She explained that cream just sits on the skin while oil actually is absorbed. I buy the almond oil at a health food store and have noticed a difference right away. You can also use Vitamin E or Jojoba Oil which you may be able to find at your local drugstore.

I've been using oil for close to a year now and my normally very dry skin is very soft. Also, lots of water can help.
Unread 01-19-2005, 02:11 PM

Here's what I actually used in the castle:

Comb
travel-sized lotion and body spray in my favorite scent
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Deoderant
Hair binder (to put it in a pony tail)
Small notebook and pen (to take notes when set in and to record the event so I could more easily write my princess story for this website)
The current People magazine to read

That's it. Honest. They wanted me to use their slippers because they had grippers on the bottom, I wore their gowns and robes (why dirty my own?) and I wore the same clothes home that I came in. Used their body wash and shampoo.

The one thing I didn't use that I still would recommend bringing is chapstick because so many sisters report that it is very important. Also, many report using a portable CD player. But I didn't want to mess with it.

By the time you're feeling well enough to mess with things like makeup and such, you'll want to go home -- at least that's how I was. And packing light is just easier. But then, I've never been much for makeup, so others might feel that's more important.

Hope this helps!
Unread 01-19-2005, 02:21 PM

Hey Jill,

I think it is natural to feel alone. After all, your friends and family won't be with you when you are wheeled out of your room. But, you will not be alone. The best surprise of my whole castle experience was how great the OR staff was in the holding room right before I went into surgery. They were friendly and very professional and also funny. I felt like I was in good hands with nice people. They acted like everything was going to be fine and that helped me so much. You know when you are on a plane and you feel a bump or hear a weird noise? What do you do? You look at the stewardesses and if they look calm, well then you calm down. That's just what it's like with the OR staff. They are totally calm and in control and you will feel okay. Really!

Christina
Unread 01-19-2005, 02:46 PM

Jill, I have to agree with the other sisters who say that the waiting is the WORST! I cried on and off for days, threw little tantrums around my undeserving husband and family (about the stupidest things), couldn't sleep and generally was miserable. The best advice I can give you is to arm yourself with as much information as possible, so you don't feel you're jumping into the unknown. Bring anything to the castle that makes you feel at home: jammies, pillow, lip balm, magazines, whatever it takes.

Then (this was really important for me), UNHOOK from it and just decide what will be, will be. Say your prayers if you're so inclined, make sure your family knows of your specific concerns so they can act on your behalf while you're out of it, then fill your time with things that make YOU happy. I took a long drive with DH and we BOTH vented all of our concerns, away from home and family. Learning of HIS worries helped me to help him before the surgery, if that makes sense. It turns out he was just as scared as I was, but couldn't quite verbalize it.

Whether it's planning a vacation to look forward to after you recover, reading a really good book, or strolling through a museum, DO WHATEVER MAKES YOU FEEL HAPPY and peaceful. I'm a firm believer in positive mental energy, so tried to "bank" a lot of it before the big day. By the time it rolled around, I had long since packed my bag and reached some sort of transcendant place. Sounds a little crazy, I know, but it worked for this sister!

I'll be thinking of you, and sending you all good wishes for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery. Hang in there, and call on your sisters whever you need to. This site is a tremendous help for us princesses!!!

s to you, and blessings, too!

Amoreena
Unread 01-19-2005, 04:33 PM

Jill, I agree the couple days before were especially un nerving. For me, things like my DH would now the results of my frozen sec. before me, also bothered me. I agree with Amoreena, take a deep breath, It's hard but try and relax. Your DH will have to do the waiting while you sleep.
Pack light you will have extra stuff your are bringing home... Flowers, Teddy's etc that everyone may bring you. Most hospitals give you toiletries anyway.
I did take make up (Did not want friends seeing me crummy)
Lip gloss or Balm lips do get dry.
Brush and scrunchie for my hair.
book, magazines
AND huggie PILLOW for your Belly. Helps to hold it against your insc. when you walk and in the car on the way home.!!
hystersisters does have a swelly belly pillow.
Unread 01-19-2005, 04:38 PM

ear plugs have been a suggestion I have seen around for night time. I am definately bringing them!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register