Epidural or General for a Vaginal total Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Epidural or General for a Vaginal total Hysterectomy Epidural or General for a Vaginal total Hysterectomy

Unread 09-21-2010, 06:57 AM
Epidural or General for a Vaginal total Hysterectomy

I am due to have a total Vaginal hysterectomy on 18th October as I have a completely prolapsed uterus. I had an operation in January of this year for a rectal and bladder prolapse and the urologist said he was going to put in a sling. I discovered at my 3 month check up he had not and now I have a dreadful protusion in my vagina which I understand is my uterus. I am now going to a Gyne who has offered me the operation under an epidural (area anaesthesia)or a General and I am very unsure what to do. I understand the risks of both and that the epidural would make my recovery quicker but I am not sure if I can endure the indignity of my legs in stirrups and everyone dealing with my bits with me conscious. Has anyone had the op this way and what was it like? Would they allow you to take in your ipod or something as the last thing I would like to do is watch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Re: Epidural or General for a Vaginal total Hysterectomy

I would have loved the epidural because I hate being put to sleep - I was fully knocked out for mine. From what I've read they give you something to make you a bit groggy even with the epidural....so you may not remember everything. I have read from several on here that after the epidural.... severe headaches are pretty common. Hopefully someone who had the epidural can offer you some straight advice.

Either way - I wish you lots of luck
Unread 09-21-2010, 08:59 AM

For me, personally, there would be NO question - general anesthesia. I couldn't handle being awake for that, even if I'm drugged and dazed. But that's ME. I also can't stand the thought of a needle piercing my spinal column for an epidural. It completely freaks me out. Again, that's ME.

Many women don't mind an epidural at all. Many women are so relaxed by the drugs during an epidural surgery that they just breeze through it. But it's got to be up to you.

My non-professional advice:

Imagine yourself going through it with both options. Think about which one seems more comfortable overall to you. Think on it, and the one that you keep going back to as the "better" of the two options is probably right for you.

Discuss your fears with your doctor, both physical and psychological, about both anesthesia options, and ask questions. See if you can talk to an actual anesthesiologist BEFORE the surgery, and ask questions. The more you educate yourself, and the more you ask questions, the more ready you shall be.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2010, 05:17 PM

I had knee surgery years ago and opted for the epidural. They gave something to relax you and this made me sleep through the surgery.

I would never have an epidural again because the back pain I had after was worse than my knee pain. But each person is different. I have no problem with a general.
Unread 09-21-2010, 05:44 PM

I would agree with the other women, definitely it is up to you, and make sure you talk with your doctor about all of your concern. My surgery was laparoscopic, but I had the general of course. With that, though, I also had a spinal. It's just the shot in the back instead a steady flow of medicine into your back. I was very glad that I went with this choice. I didn't have the headaches that the full on epidural can give, but I wasn't awake for the operation either. The spinal helped a lot with pain management in those first couple hours. I didn't like not being able to move my legs, but it's just part of it. I personally hated the idea of a needle in my back, but the sedative that they gave me, made it to where I didn't care. I actually thanked them for the shot, lol! Good luck, and I'm sure whatever decision you make, everything will go great!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register