Where can I find good freezer recipes?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Where can I find good freezer recipes?? Where can I find good freezer recipes??

Unread 02-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Where can I find good freezer recipes??

I have about 5 weeks to think about this surgery, and instead of sitting around just stewing about it (no pun intended), I would like to have some good recipes or ideas for stuff I can make ahead and put in the freezer.

Things that I could easily take out and pop in the oven, so it is ready when my family gets home from their long days at work and school.

My DH is an excellent cook, but I'd like to beable to take some of the burden off of him!!

Any ideas would be great!!

Thanks ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2005, 12:06 PM

Hi Rochelle!

I hope our Hyster Sisters Cookbook can assist you! It has a special section for make-ahead meals located here:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...123&daysprune=

Good Luck!
Unread 02-02-2005, 12:15 PM

Casseroles are gr8t! I made lasagne, tuna, breakfast, and macaroni casseroles and freezed them.

You are doing a good thing with planning. I also created phone lists for myself of persons I wanted to talked to as I was recoverying and a checklist for cards and addresses to reply to.

Planning really helps to reduce the anxiety and stress.

If you haven't done so already, get yourself some loose fitting comfortable night gowns or night shirts. Being comfortable is very important. I enjoyed shopping for very cute and comfortable items, you know I had slippers to match each one.

Wishing you smooth sailing and a comfortable recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2005, 12:28 PM

Stews and such are great, do a big crock pot full, have dinner and and one (or more) to put in freezer containers and just thaw and reheat. I'm making gumbo this weekend.
Unread 02-02-2005, 12:42 PM

Check your local library for books on freezer cooking.

www.organizedhome.com also has a section about the joys of freezer cooking.
Unread 02-02-2005, 01:16 PM

Also, don't forget the sweets! (Just a few won't hurt) Brownies and cookies freeze really well. I get hungry just thinking about oatmeal raisin cookies -- and they are actually pretty good for you!!

Happy planning and cooking!
Unread 02-02-2005, 02:26 PM

There are all kinds of easy, yummy tasting soup mixes that you can get too! Make a big batch in the crock pot and freeze in dinner size portions. I'm also stocking up on a couple of Stoufers lasagne's and such too just in case. Pancakes and waffles also freeze well. Pop them in the microwave and scramble up a couple of eggs and you've got an easy dinner or breakfast!

Comfort- can I get the recipe for your breakfast casserole? Breakfast for dinner is always a hit around here so would love to try it out! I like the idea of getting all the phone numbers and such handy. Gives me another reason to update my address book.

If you come across any great recipes, please be sure to share!
Bon Appetit!
Jen
Unread 02-02-2005, 02:30 PM

I am not sure about availability, but a few years ago there were books out on once a month cooking. They have some recipes and how to make meals for freezing.

Jane B
Unread 02-02-2005, 05:05 PM

Also, I have a book called "Month of Meals: One Day to a Freezerful of Entrees" by Kelly Machel. It gives freezing tips, and walks you through cooking once a month(or twice a month). It tells you haow to make a list and prepare things. It gives the freezer life for lots of things. It has recipes for soups, stews, a la carte items, casseroles, quiches, sauces, and loaves. It comes in a 3-ring binder format (5x8) size so you can add your own things or take things out as needed. The book is great. I can't remember how much I paid when I bought it a couple of years ago, but I did buy it at one of the on-line bookselling sites. If you want to cook ahead, I would highly recommend this book. I don't cook this way often, but when I freeze a week or so of meals before busy weeks, I sure am happy that I did. Saves a lot of money on fast food and take-out on busy school nights.

Hope that helps.
Unread 02-03-2005, 07:20 AM

Ladies here are the Breakfast Casserole Recipes

Bacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole

Ingredients
4 bacon strips
18 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup (4 ounces) grated Longhorn cheese
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1/4 cup sliced green onions
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towel to drain. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, cheese, sour cream, onions, salt, and pepper. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish. Crumble bacon and sprinkle on top. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Serves: 8 to 10

Sausage and Egg Casserole
Ingredients
6 slices bread, cubed, crusts removed
1 pound pork sausage (I mix well 1 pound each of mild, hot, and sage sausages to make tasty sausage that most people like)
9 beaten eggs
3 cups milk (I frequently mix whole milk with some half & half)
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (sharp is better)
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
Place bread cubes evenly in the bottom of a greased (I use a vegetable spray) 2-1/2 quart baking dish. Set it aside. Brown sausage and drain it well. Sprinkle it evenly over the bread cubes. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs well. Add milk, cheese, and salt. Mix well and pour over the bread cubes and sausage. Cover with a lid or plastic film and refrigerate overnight. Uncover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Makes: about 12 three-inch squares.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register