Upcoming hysterectomy 3/3: Fallopian Tubes - important for ovary function? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 3/3: Fallopian Tubes - important for ovary function? Upcoming hysterectomy 3/3: Fallopian Tubes - important for ovary function?

Unread 02-16-2020, 08:44 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 3/3: Fallopian Tubes - important for ovary function?

Hi!
I’m having a daVinci/robotic total hysterectomy on 3/3. Uterus and cervix are leaving for sure (fibroids and history of cervical dysplasia/HPV 16). My surgeon says he always takes the Fallopian tubes these days as ovarian cancer often starts there and it’s preventative. Makes sense. However, after further thought I have no family history of ovarian or any other gynecological cancers and I’m wondering if removing the tubes affects how the ovaries function post hysterectomy????? For me it’s more important that my ovaries don’t shoot craps and cause early menopause (I’m 42) as ovarian cancer is quite rare and doesn’t run in my family.

Thoughts???? Should I request he leave the tubes or do they make no or little difference. So many head scratches here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2020, 12:33 PM
Re: Fallopian Tubes-important for ovary function?

Most surgeons remove Fallopian tubes when keeping ovaries.

It was my case too and 7 years later, still no issues with my ovaries
Unread 02-16-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPMS View Post
Most surgeons remove Fallopian tubes when keeping ovaries.

It was my case too and 7 years later, still no issues with my ovaries
That’s awesome GPMS! I’m really crossing fingers for those ovaries to keep on keepin on post surgery! Sounds like you are overall happy with your hysterectomy?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2020, 07:30 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 3/3: Fallopian Tubes - important for ovary function?

Hi Warrior Princess -

Yes, it is common now to remove the Fallopian tubes as it is now believed that ovarian cancer starts in the tubes. Here is an article:
Fallopian Tubes and Ovarian Cancer

The Fallopian tubes basic job are to deliver eggs to the uterus. I have not heard that their removal affects ovarian function. Here are articles on ovarian function, which more has to do with blood supply:
Ovarian Blood Supply
Sleeping Ovaries after Hysterectomy?
Hot Flashes with Ovaries? 5 Reasons Why!

Unread 02-17-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marestail View Post
Hi Warrior Princess -

Yes, it is common now to remove the Fallopian tubes as it is now believed that ovarian cancer starts in the tubes. Here is an article:
Fallopian Tubes and Ovarian Cancer

The Fallopian tubes basic job are to deliver eggs to the uterus. I have not heard that their removal affects ovarian function. Here are articles on ovarian function, which more has to do with blood supply:
Ovarian Blood Supply
Sleeping Ovaries after Hysterectomy?
Hot Flashes with Ovaries? 5 Reasons Why!

Thank you so much !!!
Unread 02-18-2020, 06:34 AM

My surgery was last January and I kept an ovary but both fallopian tubes were removed. Although cancer in any form does not run in my family I still feel an incredible amount of comfort knowing that they are gone since that is where ovarian cancer begins. I have not found it to be detrimental in any way to not have them.

Best of luck!
Unread 02-18-2020, 06:54 AM

I had my Fallopian tubes removed December 2019 and am scheduled for a laparoscopic hysterectomy on 3/27 (irregular uterine bleeding-nothing to do with my Fallopian tubes being removed). My mom had ovarian cancer and I had my tubes removed for preventative measures. There is no family history of ovarian cancer in my family, prior to my mom, and all her chromosome tests came back negative for any cancer/genetic markers. They have no idea what caused her ovarian cancer but she was incredibly fortunate to have had her cancer caught at Stage 1 and she is still alive and well today. You can go quite a while having no symptoms of ovarian cancer which is why, in my experience, even if you have no family history, I would suggest having the tubes removed while they are already in there. I had no issues after having them removed and I had greater peace of mind knowing that my possible chances for ovarian cancer were lowered by having those tubes out.

Lots of well wishes for your upcoming surgery!

~Jen
Unread 02-18-2020, 11:09 AM

Awesome! Thank you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register