Do all hysterectomys need a cath?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do all hysterectomys need a cath?? Do all hysterectomys need a cath??

Unread 02-14-2004, 12:18 PM
Do all hysterectomys need a cath??

Just wondering if i am having a abdominal hysterectomy are they going to put a catherder in me?I don't do very well with them they hurt me so bad?Can I ask not to have one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2004, 12:25 PM

You can always ask - but you will probably have to have one - at least for a little while. Your bladder will not function well from the anesthesia, plus the trauma of being pushed around while they remove your uterus. But it needs to stay pretty empty to not push on your new stitches.

Chances are, it will be inserted after you are asleep. Usually they keep it in at least until you can get out of bed. I had my hyst at 2 in the afternoon, and got out of bed very early the next morning and asked that "all" the plumbing" be removed.

With a little luck, you'll be sleeping fror most of the time it is in, and with a little more luck you will be able to pee easily when they take it out.

Try to rest and not worry too much before tomorrow

Dorrie
Unread 02-14-2004, 04:15 PM

Yes...I definitely think you'll need one, and you'll be glad you had it. They will put it in after you're asleep and will probably remove it the next morning, (unless you're having bladder repairs too, which you don't indicate). Your bladder will be traumatized during the surgery, and may cramp/spasm, making voiding difficult. Also, you won't really want to get up or even have to worry about a bedpan for the first few hours post-op.

Believe me, it won't be bad. I was worried about it, but didn't feel a thing even after I woke up. After they removed it, I realized it was easier when I had it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2004, 04:44 PM
catheter

I had my catheter put in pre-op that morning,while I was fully awake. It really wasnt that unpleasant. I knew it was something that had to be done, so I just had to grin and bear it. Two very kind and gentle student nurses put it in. I got it removed the next morning by yet another student nurse. So I figure I had it for about 24 hours. It really isnt that bad. Dont sweat the small stuff, the surgery itself is what is the main attraction on the big day. Again, dont worry about anything except getting well.
Unread 02-14-2004, 08:56 PM
caths

I too had one, but only until the next morning. I was suprised that it didn't hurt at all, even when they took it out and I was also afraid it would hurt when I went to the bathroom, but it didn't at all, no big deal, just kind of uncomfortable to have that tube there.
Unread 02-14-2004, 09:19 PM

Hello!
I was really afraid to have the catheter put in pre op, but I got through it. They did not do mine while I was in surgery. I do think they are necessary.
Your DR will determine what is best for you, just talk with him. (I tried to talk to mine about doing it after I was put to sleep, my DR just laughed at me, He said, that since I was a nurse, I should be able to handle it just fine).
And they usually take it out the next day.
Good luck.
Dottie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register