surgery planned for monday (i'm a little nervous) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery planned for monday (i'm a little nervous) surgery planned for monday (i'm a little nervous)

Unread 12-10-2011, 04:27 PM
surgery planned for monday (i'm a little nervous)

not sure what yo expect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Re: surgery planned for monday (i'm a little nervous)

The days before surgery are the hardest. Try to keep busy. I kept very close to my family so they could help distract me. DH rubbed my back the night before until I fell asleep. You are having the same surgery as me so your experience should be similar to mine You will arrive at the hospital and register. They will have you change into a gown and lie down on a bed. An IV will be started and the anesthetist will come and meet with you. Make sure you tell him any health issues you may have. What may be a small detail for us could be important to him. Your family member is usually able to stay with you until they wheel you into the OR. Some people walk into the OR but I was wheeled in. There My gynecologist came and held my hand and asked me how I was and answered any last minute concerns. I scooted my bum onto the OR table, blankets were put in me and then I was asked to breathe into the mask. I thought it was just oxygen so I took a breath and that was my last memory before I woke up in the recovery room. Then I was in my hospital room and my DH was with me (where he gave me diamond earrings!). The nurse will ask you your pain level on a scale of 1-10. Be honest and don't be a hero. You will most likely have a catheter in when you wake. Mine was left in overnight. I was told I would stay overnight but I ended up staying two nights. The pain is managed well in the hospital throuh your IV. I found the pain increased when I got home. A heating pad was very helpful. I hope this helps. Try not to worry (easier said than done) you will be fine. We will be waiting for you on the other side.
Unread 12-10-2011, 07:39 PM

Hey. I'm right there with you. I go Monday at 5:00 am. I'm trying not to think about it too much but I woke up a lot last night with it on my mind. Good luck to you and we will share our experiences after.(:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2011, 08:05 PM

I'm 2 days post op from a TAH. I had severe endometriosis on my bowels, which required a bowel surgeon, bladder, and stomach. So far, so good! Pain is manageable and I'm taking it easy...that, for me, is the hard part. I was very anxious before mine and I wish I hadn't stressed so much. The nausea patch caused vision issues, which scared me but vision was restored within 12 hours of patch removal. No one told me that was a side effect, so I freaked thinking it was from anesthesia! You'll do great!
Unread 12-10-2011, 08:54 PM

The docs and nurses will take good care of you. You will get lots of pampering from hospital staff and family after you go home. Take advantage of it. You need time to heal properly. It is normal to be a little nervous. We all were before surgery. You will have the catheter as stated above, but that will be placed AFTER you go to sleep. You will have it in over night and they will take it out the next day. You will get up and walk the day after surgery. You will be a little sore, but walking is good for you. Make sure someone is with you when getting up especially the first time. Pain will be well controlled through you IV. After you pee on your own and have a BM they will send you home. You will be fine. I always pray for my hystersisters and now you are one of them, so I am praying for you too. God is so good. He will take care of us all. See you on the other side. Please let us know how you are. Looking forward to your posts. Take care!
Unread 12-10-2011, 11:41 PM

My surgery (LAVH) is Monday as well. Not nervous - just want to be on the other side and back at home! Good luck to you!
Unread 12-11-2011, 12:03 AM

I'll be heading in on Tuesday. I'm mostly anxious. I'm not afraid but I can't help thinking that I have forgotten something. I haven't. I'm a list maker. Everything has been on my lists for weeks now. When I think of something new, it goes on the list too. Trouble is, everything is on the list now but I can't stop my brain from going over everything again and again. Night time is worse. I'll sleep for a few hours, roll over, and then be awake enough to remember that I will be going in soon. Count sleep out at that point. I'm trying to get a nap in during the day because I would prefer not to head into a major surgery with a tired body. Tired bodies don't heal as well.

Anyway, I've tried all sorts of things to get my mind off of all of this. Hot tea, good book, bubble bath, scented candles. And yet, lurking at the back of my mind is TUESDAY! Agghhhh!

I just wish that it would hurry up and get here so I can get my mind back!!!
Unread 12-11-2011, 01:31 AM

Thanks for all the helpful advice*** this website is a true blessing **I am still nervous and unable to sleep***its after 3 am and my mind is racing** tomorow I will takethe advice of one of my hystersisters and spend time with my family**I also wanted to thank sistershell for her prayers**I I know that God has this situation covered and I trust that he will see me through this!!!
Unread 12-11-2011, 08:45 AM

My surgery is tomorrow @ 2pm, I was not given a list of things to bring to the hospital or things to have at home post surgery. I am very nervous because I have fibromyalgia and chronic low back pain from a military injury. I am having a TVH. Any suggestions on what to take to the hospital and what to have on hand when I get home? Thanks! Good luck to all the other sisters with upcoming surgeries!

This site has been beyond helpful!
Unread 12-11-2011, 09:25 AM

This is just a list off the top of my head. Good luck to you!
robe
slippers
chap stick
shampoo/conditioner/body wash-I hate the hospitals brand.
book to read in bed
tooth brush/ tooth paste
throat lozengers your throat may be sore after surgery
pads
larger size panties than you would normally wear, because you will will be swollen and really sore.
socks to keep your feet warm.
hair brush/hair ties

For at home
Make casseroles you or you dh can pop in the oven.
Get prune juice it will help with constipation when it's warmed.
extra pillow so when you get up or down, place it over your stomach and it will help ease the pain.
candles are relaxing for you.
food that is not spicy or will make you more gassy.
just anything you can do now to make things easier for you.

I may have forgotten some things, but this site will have a full list of things that you'll need. Good luck to you!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register