Kept uterus, no ovaries, no HRT | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Kept Uterus - No Ovaries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Kept uterus, no ovaries, no HRT Kept uterus, no ovaries, no HRT

Unread 12-22-2020, 05:21 PM
Kept uterus, no ovaries, no HRT

I had a bilateral oopherectomy 7/2011 for increasing cysts and benign tumors. My doctor wanted to take my uterus also because of bleeding but I declined. I have one sister with stage 1 metastatic breast cancer, doing well and another sister that has LCIS of her breast with a radial scar that did not show cancer. I assumed I wasn’t a candidate for HRT because of my family history but I was still having regular periods at 53 when I had the surgery. I never brought up HRT, nor did my doctor but now I find myself with vaginal dryness and no sex drive. My doctor put me on Estradiol 0.01% vaginally 1gram per week. She wants me to cut it down to only every other week. The dryness and pain with sec us better but I have NO sex drive. My husband is trying to be patient but I can only ask so much of him. Could I take HRT and what about bio identical HRT. I’m scared and confused because I haven’t asked before this. I don’t think she will order anything since she didn’t after the surgery. I would like to feel normal again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2020, 02:33 PM
Re: Kept uterus, no ovaries, no HRT

and to HysterSisters!

While you wait for input from someone who can share from the same circumstances, I'll answer what I can from my experience after having a hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo oophorectomy.

The estradiol your doctor prescribed is bio-identical. For the mixing sex drive, you could ask your doctor about using testosterone. That's what worked for me when I had that problem. It was a bio-identical cream that I got (with a prescription) at a compounding pharmacy. Eventually I got to the point where I didn't need testosterone anymore so I'm using just estradiol in a patch form for my hormone therapy. It's one of the many systemic estrogen options. What you're using vaginally is a low dose which would pretty much just stay local rather than going systemic, if that makes sense.

Whether or not you are a candidate to use hormone therapy is something only you and your doctor can decide together. There would be nothing wrong with seeking an additional medical opinion or two to ask. Have you had any genetic testing to show if you are at a higher risk?

Unread 12-23-2020, 03:38 PM

Thank you for responding. You bring up a good point. I haven’t been tested for the breast cancer gene but my sister who has breast cancer did and was negative, so I assume I would be negative, I hope. From reading I figured I would need estrogen and progesterone. My internist said there would be no reason I couldn’t go on HRT but my gynecologist and I haven’t discussed it yet. I will see her in February of 2021 and definitely will bring up the subject. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2020, 09:15 PM
Re: Kept uterus, no ovaries, no HRT

Yes, with an intact uterus you would need both estrogen and progesterone. Using a systemic estrogen without also taking some form of progesterone would increase your risk of uterine cancer. Let us know what your doctor says and what decide to do.

Unread 12-24-2020, 07:25 AM

I will definitely let you know. Maybe it can help some one else. I’m no great at advocating for myself, so this helps a lot. I am going to do my research before my appointment.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register