Scheduled LAVH Upcoming hysterectomy 1/25: Scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 1/25: Scared Upcoming hysterectomy 1/25: Scared

Unread 01-19-2021, 08:12 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 1/25: Scared

So my Hysterectomy is 1-25-2021. And i am scared, and got many Questions like Will i loose sexual function after procedure? How long will after bleedings happen? Will I gain unnecessary weight after procedure? Will I deal with Gas n Bowel discomforts? Any answers will help, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2021, 04:52 AM

This is major surgery, so it's perfectly normal to feel scared, as I felt before my surgery. Sorry I can't answer your question on sexual function, but we do have many sisters who can share their experiences. Regarding the bleeding, it's common to have some discharge during the first few days, then starting back up around the second or third week as your vaginal cuff starts to heal; unless you fill a pad in an hour, suddenly start gushing blood, or pass clots larger than a quarter, it's nothing to worry about. Weight gain is a common concern, but it's not inevitable; I eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly, and my weight has remained stable. As for dealing with the constipation and gas, here are a few suggestions for items to have on hand: a good pair of walking shoes; and easy-open water bottle; peppermint tea; frozen blueberries; magnesium-rich dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds; whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran; a fiber supplement like Metamucil or Benefibre; Gas-X; fennel or coriander seeds; a Squatty Potty or small footstool to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, which can help by properly aligning your rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 01-20-2021, 02:35 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 1/25: Scared

It was just over 2 years ago, that I was in your place! Let me tell you I was a bundle of nerves, It was hard not to be afraid of the unknown. Thankfully I found this website and the sisters posting on the forums put some of my fears to ease. SO, try to BREATHE! Have faith that you are in good hands with your surgeon and medical team.

There are no easy answers to the questions of length of hospital stay, bowel prep or not, recovery limitations, return to work, will sex be different after, etc. as there are different factors for each of us, our health and the reason for having surgery. I personally have a better sex life now then before mainly due to pain from my endo/adeno diagnosis. Is it different-yes, is it bad -Heck no! Best to follow orders from your medical team as they will guide you to the best outcome.

Glad you have found this website with tons of useful information to assist you for optimal healing. Take some time and read thru some of these links, full of helpful tips.
Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles
Preparing: What Will I Need?
“Must Have” List for Hysterectomy
What to Take to the Hospital

Sending good thoughts on your surgery day, imagine you are enveloped in big warm hugs full of love, support and healing energy.
YOU GOT THIS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2021, 11:20 AM

Many hysterectomies are unnecessary (obviously if there’s cancer definitely present that is different); do you mind if I ask the reason your Dr. wants you to have a full hysterectomy? I read somewhere that 1 out of 5 are unnecessary. And yes many women lose sexual feeling and function afterwards.
Unread 01-21-2021, 11:26 AM

Also check the Forum on here - Hysterectomy special needs; sexual
distinction.
Unread 01-21-2021, 07:53 PM

its normal to be nervous but you should have a pre op appointment before your surgery to discuss all of your concerns with your dr.
Unread 01-21-2021, 08:01 PM

I meant check the Forum on here that says Sexual Disfunction. Many women say they lost their sex drive or it is painful to have intercourse.
Unread 01-21-2021, 09:11 PM

hello

I can only speak from my experience. I had a total hysterectomy and wonder to this day if it was the right decision. I went with what the doctor said and not getting second opinions on the surgery but because of covid everything was rushed before the shutdown. I didn't have much time to think things through. Make sure you are 100% sure you are making the right decision. Get second and third opinions if you have to. If I did I think I wouldn't be in this awful menopause state. No fun at all! It has affected my sex life, drive, my emotions and my bladder. If you have to have surgery try at all cost to keep your ovaries. That will keep your vagina working great and help you stay healthy longer. I wish I had known all this prior to my surgery. My surgeon didn't discuss all this with me. If you keep your ovaries you will have sexual function. If you lose them you may lose function. My function keeps getting worse with time which is expected if you remove your ovaries. I didn't have much bleeding after my procedure since they took it all. Just spotting really! I did has horrendous amounts of bloating after all the way up into my chest. That went away after a week and a half. I did have diarrhea for a couple days after too. No one could tell me why! My bladder was weird after too. I think it was having spasms so it was hard to pee and then always felt like I had to pee every 20 minutes. But that went away after a day or so. I hope I answered all your questions. I am not trying to worry you just trying to be honest with you. Hang in there! You will do great! I'd do the surgery again over menopause any day. Menopause is the worst!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register