Hysterectomy or UFE for large fibroids - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy or UFE for large fibroids Hysterectomy or UFE for large fibroids

Unread 10-28-2020, 07:11 AM
Re: Hysterectomy or UFE for large fibroids

Update: I had an ultrasound yesterday to get the lay of the land in my uterus. The technician was not abe to get my whole uterus in one image, but can piece images together to visualize it. So the fibroids are big but I do not have measurements. At my last ultrasound in 2017 there were 4. It sounds like the largest might be the highest up in my abdomen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2020, 06:48 PM
Hysterectomy or UFE for large fibroids

Hi
How did you get on? I’m in the same position- told I can either have a laparoscopic hysterectomy or a UAE (am in the UK) which must be the same as UFE?
If I have a hysterectomy my cervix will need to be removed too.
Although I have flooding, I’m not in the levels of pain others are in but I had breast cancer this year and am on Tamoxifen for at least another 4.5 years which is making my fibroids grow (3.5cm in under 6 months- now largest one is 8.5cm).
Would love to hear from you and hear how you’re getting on

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBecks View Post
I have decided that I want to do somethng for my large fibroids this Fall.

My doc has given options including UFE or open hysterectomy. He also offered waiting until menopause, and other things. I just recently started taking transaemic (sp?) acid for bleeding and it has been very helpful, but I still have discomfort from bulk, acid reflux, some constipation, and frequent urinaton.

Logically, I shoud try the UFE first, but my fibroids are large.
I have not had them measured (last doc was in Feb) but I can feel them easily when I lie down. At least as big as a fist, probably bigger.

I like my doctor and have had multiple surgeries with him. He is not pushing hysterectomy at all.

I *dread* recovery. I hate being in the hospital. I dread 6 weeks of not feeling wel. But to get it over and done with?

I have read that UFE can be painful, not get great results and I may need a hysterectom anyway, and the thought of two procedures sounds like a waste of time and a pain in the rear.

I need to call and start making consults. I am slightly afraid of surgery this time because of some low red blood cell counts (mosty resolved after iron infusions) and being older and heavier than before.

I am concerned about things like keeping ovaries and cervix (I think I would like to keep both). I think the other risks are not that worrisome, but there are risks.

I am concerned about pain and ineffectiveness of UFE.

Indecision is not helping me, and I do need to make the consults and commit the time to working this out.

Just need to keep taking one step at a time and think this out. Thanks for any support.

Unread 11-19-2020, 06:56 PM

Hi
How did you get on? I’m in the same position- told I can either have a laparoscopic hysterectomy or a UAE (am in the UK) which must be the same as UFE?
If I have a hysterectomy my cervix will need to be removed too.
Although I have flooding, I’m not in the levels of pain others are in but I had breast cancer this year and am on Tamoxifen for at least another 4.5 years which is making my fibroids grow (3.5cm in under 6 months- now largest one is 8.5cm).
Would love to hear from you and hear how you’re getting on

Quote:
I have decided that I want to do somethng for my large fibroids this Fall.

My doc has given options including UFE or open hysterectomy. He also offered waiting until menopause, and other things. I just recently started taking transaemic (sp?) acid for bleeding and it has been very helpful, but I still have discomfort from bulk, acid reflux, some constipation, and frequent urinaton.

Logically, I shoud try the UFE first, but my fibroids are large.
I have not had them measured (last doc was in Feb) but I can feel them easily when I lie down. At least as big as a fist, probably bigger.

I like my doctor and have had multiple surgeries with him. He is not pushing hysterectomy at all.

I *dread* recovery. I hate being in the hospital. I dread 6 weeks of not feeling wel. But to get it over and done with?

I have read that UFE can be painful, not get great results and I may need a hysterectom anyway, and the thought of two procedures sounds like a waste of time and a pain in the rear.

I need to call and start making consults. I am slightly afraid of surgery this time because of some low red blood cell counts (mosty resolved after iron infusions) and being older and heavier than before.

I am concerned about things like keeping ovaries and cervix (I think I would like to keep both). I think the other risks are not that worrisome, but there are risks.

I am concerned about pain and ineffectiveness of UFE.

Indecision is not helping me, and I do need to make the consults and commit the time to working this out.

Just need to keep taking one step at a time and think this out. Thanks for any support.

Unread 01-24-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Update: I had an ultrasound yesterday to get the lay of the land in my uterus. The technician was not abe to get my whole uterus in one image, but can piece images together to visualize it. So the fibroids are big but I do not have measurements. At my last ultrasound in 2017 there were 4. It sounds like the largest might be the highest up in my abdomen.

How did things go? Your situation sounds similar to mine. I had many large fibroids and I was ready for them to be gone for good! Depending on the dr they should be able to do it laproscopic and remove through the vagina. For mine they cut it and removed vaginally. My largest was around 12cm and then a huge cluster of some other... like 11 or 12 total. So I didn’t want multiple surgeries. I wanted it gone! Tubes, uterus, cervix are gone and I saved ovaries. I wonder if you could have a consult with an oncologist. I learned that it was a blessing for me being referred to one because he is way more skilled than my regular obgyn. That’s the person I wanted doing this surgery.
Unread 02-02-2021, 06:34 AM
Re: Hysterectomy or UFE for large fibroids

I am almost 3 weeks post op and doing well. The surgery for me was a robotic surgery with small incisions, and a larger incision at my bikini line. I liked my doctor, who does a lot of robotic surgeries. He brought in another robotic doctor to help with adhesions from prior surgeries and a urologist to put little lights in the ureters so he could avoid them during the surgery. My uterus weighed 4-5 pounds, I will get the pathology report at my 6 week check up. Healing has been good, I'm getting a little better every day. I am back to work but resting all night when I get home.

I am very happy with the outcome and I'm glad I did this surgery. I am also glad that I talked with the UFE and robotic surgery doctors so I felt very well informed about my decisions. Even though it took longer to make those appointments, it helped me feel confident.

If anyone is in the Milwaukee area and would like my Dr's name I'm happy to recommend him (if that is allowed).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register