My hysterectomy is next week (2/1) and I'm a little scared of what to expect. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My hysterectomy is next week (2/1) and I'm a little scared of what to expect. My hysterectomy is next week (2/1) and I'm a little scared of what to expect.

Unread 01-24-2021, 04:06 PM
My hysterectomy is next week (2/1) and I'm a little scared of what to expect.

Hello, I'm new and having a hysterectomy February 1st. The appointment came fast, but I'm not one to dilly dally so that doesn't bother me. Plus, I tried for one a few years ago, but the doctor I was seeing was more interested in kids I said I didn't want than the fact I was in severe pain every time I had a period.

I guess I'm just wondering about other's experiences and what to expect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurro07 View Post
Hello, I'm new and having a hysterectomy February 1st. The appointment came fast, but I'm not one to dilly dally so that doesn't bother me. Plus, I tried for one a few years ago, but the doctor I was seeing was more interested in kids I said I didn't want than the fact I was in severe pain every time I had a period.

I guess I'm just wondering about other's experiences and what to expect.
Hi! No advice because I haven't had mine yet, but just wanted to say that mine is booked for February 2!
Unread 01-24-2021, 04:42 PM
Re: My hysterectomy is next week and I'm a little scared of what to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinkc View Post
Hi! No advice because I haven't had mine yet, but just wanted to say that mine is booked for February 2!
Hopefully, both ours goes uneventful and we're home and recovering ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2021, 07:06 PM
Re: My hysterectomy is next week and I'm a little scared of what to expect.

It's been over 2 years, that I was in your place! Let me tell you I was excited to get it done and move on with my better life but still a bundle of nerves, It was hard not to be afraid of the unknown. Thankfully I found this website and the sisters posting on the forums put some of my fears to ease. SO, try to BREATHE! Have faith that you are in good hands with your surgeon and medical team.

There are no easy answers to the questions of length of hospital stay, bowel prep or not, recovery limitations, return to work, will sex be different after, etc. as there are different factors for each of us, our health and the reason for having surgery. Best to follow orders from your medical team as they will guide you to the best outcome.

Glad you have found this website with tons of useful information to assist you for optimal healing. Take some time and read thru some of these links, full of helpful tips while you wait for your surgery date.

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles

Preparing: What Will I Need?

Must Have List for Hysterectomy

What to Take to the Hospital

Sending good thoughts on your surgery day, imagine you are enveloped in big warm hugs full of love, support and healing energy.
YOU GOT THIS!
Unread 01-28-2021, 12:08 PM
Re: My hysterectomy is next week (2/1) and I'm a little scared of what to expect.

I had about 4 months in between the time I knew I was getting my surgery and the actual date. I spent a lot of that time reading stories and posts on this site to try to find out what it would be like and what to do ahead of time.

It went so much better than I was worried about. The first 24 hours were uncomfortable but I was moving around after 1 day and left the hospital after a day and a half. Recovery went well, just a LOT of rest and TV!

To prep, I did all my laundry right before, changed the sheets, bought some snack like foods like nuts and fruit, and saved a bunch of shows to my watchlist. I ordered a bunch of stuff I didn't use. The one thing I really needed was something to help with constipation so check with your doctor on what you can take.

I honestly enjoyed the last 4 weeks of my recovery, the first two weeks were fine, just not as good as the last 4!
Unread 01-29-2021, 04:43 AM

Here are a few suggested items to have on hand for constipation and its cohort gas: a good pair of walking shoes; an easy-open water bottle; peppermint tea; frozen blueberries; whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran; a fiber supplement like Metamucil or Benefibre; ground flaxseeds - I buy them whole and grind them in a coffee grinder; magnesium-rich dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds; Gas-X; fennel or coriander seeds; a Squatty Potty or small footstool to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, which can help by properly aligning your rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Also be sure to pick up some loose fitting clothes, a few small pillows to protect your belly when coughing or sneezing, extension cords for plugging in your electronics, and a grabber for picking up small objects off the floor. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 01-30-2021, 07:57 AM
Re: My hysterectomy is next week (2/1) and I'm a little scared of what to expect.

Hello,

I'm having my op on Feb 2 too so am feeling just as nervous and scared as you so the tips on here are really helpful. Spending the next few days preparing the house and thinking of things I may need when I come back from hospital so they are in a place I can reach without bending!

Still haven't told my kids yet - that's a job for tomorrow I think. my eldest is a real worrier (11) so I need to be calm and collected when I do it or she may freak out.

trying to get a last work-out in too as who knows when I will be able to move properly again. I am worried about that morning stretch as I have been very aware of how much I do it in bed over the past few days. As well as the obvious BM issues, I do worry about sneezing - ouch. worry worry worry - I guess we will go mad if we dwell on it all too much but it's difficult not to.

I dont think I am helping much but it's good to know we're not alone on this journey. good luck! x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register