Just found out I have a Fibroid | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just found out I have a Fibroid Just found out I have a Fibroid

Unread 10-14-2004, 12:24 PM
Just found out I have a Fibroid

hi I'm new to this board and I just found out I have a fibroid tumer inside my Uteris (sp). I found this at the end of Sept. I ended up at my primary dr with horrible stomach pains. He decided that i had an infection and gave me some medication for the infection and some pain medicine. I have a fairly high pain tolerance and ended up at the er 3 days later. The er dr. did a u/s and they found a fibroid they said was the size of a large orange. I went to my GYN and she told me that the pain was caused because the fibroid was degenerating. She wanted to follow up in 3 months with another u/s i have it scheduled for December 3rd. I ended up having a period that lasted 11 days. In the begining of the year I went for my yearly exam and told my gyn that me periods were hevier than usual and she switchem my b/c pills to a different one. I did not notice much of a difference. Iam still having period like cramps and the dr. upped my mortin to 800 milligrams. I feel like my stomach is always bloated and i have to use the restroom all of the time seems like i go every hr or so. I'm sorry this is so long but i wanted to know if anyone else had this same kind of experience. I called the dr. back and they want me to come in and give a urine sample to rule out any infection and I guess we will go from there. Thank you for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2004, 04:00 PM

You'll find many women on this site have similar experiences.

I not only had one the size of an orange, but three other large ones as well as another half a dozen smaller ones.

They pressed on my bladder, gave me an overall bulky feeling and caused heavy bleeding.

There are other options besides a hysterectomy. I hope your doctor has discussed myomectomy (the surgical removal of the fibroid either laproscopically or abdominally) or Uterine Fibroid Embolization. Sometimes doctors prescribe Lupron before either of those procedures to stop the fibroids from growing and to shrink them so they're easier to treat.

I hope you'll let us know what happens at your next appointment.

Take care.
Unread 10-14-2004, 05:53 PM

Bless your heart. I am sorry you are in so much pain. I have not had this problem. I had a TVH/BSO on 9-21-04 due to endo. I hope your doctor tells you more info and does not make you keep waiting. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck.

Lots of s

Samantha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2004, 12:58 PM

I just wanted to say thank you all for your reply..it's nice to know other people have similar problems and a place to share. I stumbled across this site searching the web for information on fibroids, my favorite place to go when in need of information. My dr is discussing a possible hyster if my fibroid continues to be troublesome. I have heard some say that they can be genetic and some say they cannot. My mom as well as her sister have both had hyster at a fairly yound age, my mom was in her eairly 40's and her sister was in her late 20's. Both had problems with fibroids. Im in my eairly 30's so i guess I'm somewhere in the middle of the two. Again thanks for listening and it's nice to know that some of the symptoms that I am having are not in my head.
Unread 10-16-2004, 08:53 PM

Ok, all...I don't mean to sound stupid, but I've been diagnosed with endometriosis and cysts in the past. The last ultra sound I had done, they didn't detect any cysts, so guess they come and go. However, the last 2 months, I've been in major pain and my stomach has been bloated like I'm ready to give birth to an alien baby at any time! Is it possible that Drs don't know you have fibroids until you actually have the surgery done??? I have my surgery on Monday, and I have nightmares that after all is done, I wake up and they say..."well, we saw some scar tissue, but that's about it!"

Also, please give me a definition of a fibroid and how does it differ from a cyst? Sorry for the dumb questions...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register