new to the site and a little nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new to the site and a little nervous new to the site and a little nervous

Unread 07-24-2005, 03:02 PM
new to the site and a little nervous

I'm having my hyster on August 1st. I'm scared about losing my sex drive more than anything. I've had endo for awhile and I only have one ovary now. After next week I'll have no natural hormones left and that scares me the most. I'm only 35 and with estrogen feeding endo I'm worried about alternative hormone options being available for me. Is anyone else feeling similarly? Or is there anyone in post-op with endo who is having a fantastic sex drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2005, 04:47 PM

Hi There!

I had my surgery for different reasons than yours, but until some members come along to answer your question based on their shared experience, here is an article that I think may prove helpful to you. It is written based on a compilation of comments shared through the years by members of the Hystersisters community:

Is Sex Really The Same?

Many s and Best Wishes to You on your Journey to Good Health!
Unread 07-24-2005, 05:33 PM

I'm only about 12 days post op but I can tell you that so far I have not been experiencing any symptoms of menapause. I'm 37 by the way and can't take HRT either but mostly due to a tumor I had removed 3 years ago from my brain. Also the drive is still there just not able to do anything about it! Dh is sure looking good though...
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2005, 07:24 PM

I am 5 1/2 weeks post-op TAH/BSO. I had my hyst for endo also. I am not allowed to take any type of estrogen for 6 months. Right now I am only taking progesterone for night sweats.

I was cleared for sex at 4 weeks. We have had sex twice and the second time was much better than the first, but I have noticed that my sex drive seems to be lacking. My doctor told me that if I have a problem with "no desire" that he could give me something for it. I am still waiting to see if this improves before I call him. I keep hoping that it will get better. I am 36 years old and never had this problem before.

I hope there is someone that will come along and tell you that their sex drive is great. Everyone is different. I'm still trying to be optimistic. When we do have sex it is good, the problem is I feel like I never really "want" it now.

Good luck to you. I wish you the best.
Cheryl
Unread 07-24-2005, 08:19 PM

Thank you Gemini27.. keep me posted on your progress and I'll keep hoping your desire returns in full force. Hopefully, without help from your doctor. I didn't know there was any medication to help women with low libido....I hope I won't need to ask about it down the road.
Unread 07-25-2005, 01:25 AM

I'm only about 3 1/2 wks post op and can't have any kind of hormones at all for at least 6 months because the endo might give me more problems. So I truly feel your pain. That was my biggest fear going into this and luckily I had a DR that took the time to explain every tiny detail. Although Endo is more likely to "flare up" with the use of "HRT", it's definately something bases on each patient. I, myfelf, chose to go the No-Hormone route. And because of that I've having to deal with surgical menopause. But that's me. Talk to your doctor and see what he/she has to say about it. They would be best one to address these fears and concerns. I do hope all goes well and wish you the best of luck!!
Unread 07-25-2005, 01:30 AM

Also, as far as the sex drive, I couldn't tell you... I haven't been cleared just yet. My DR says I have to wait the full 6 weeks before I can resume "full sexual relations." I can tell you that at 1 week the DR said "outer-course" would be fine. I would check with your DR before trying anything at all.
Unread 07-25-2005, 05:26 AM

I had my LAVH for a cyst on my right ovary..and endo. which wasn't too bad, I guess I just got it? I've only been experiencing pain for 4-5 months, so I think I caught it early. I'm on HRT and believe me..my sexdrive hasn't lacked at all, I can't do anything about it, but man o man..DH looks good as a nicely done porterhouse w/ a baked potato...yummy!
3 more weeks to go!!!! I"m marking it off on the calendar!
Hugz
Bernadette
Unread 07-25-2005, 11:47 AM
very helpful info

I'm curious cncwillborn... from your information it appears that you're about 10 years younger than me.. I'm inclined to go the no hormone route, but I was worried about osteoporosis and just not having hormones at such a young age.. it sounds like you've suffered a lot from endo. And I can really relate to that. This hysterectomy is surgery # 6 on my reproductive organs.. it was not a choice that was easy to make. But, as you know there comes a point where there are no more alternatives Has it been suggested that you try hormones down the road or are you committed to "no add back therapy"? I'm afraid to ever voluntarily put estrogen in my body.
Unread 07-25-2005, 12:00 PM

yep I to feel like you, I have endo/fibroids, loosing everything on Monday but hopefully we wont loose that sex drive of our !! keep going

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register