Hysterectomy This Week 4/17 - Undecided about Cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy This Week 4/17 - Undecided about Cervix Hysterectomy This Week 4/17 - Undecided about Cervix

Unread 04-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Hysterectomy This Week 4/17 - Undecided about Cervix

Hello Sisters,
Im 2 days away from my surgery. My doctor says its my choice as to whether or not to remove my cervix. I already have incontinence issues and take medication for it ( plus a mesh sling), so I very worried that those issues will become worse if I remove my cervix. My doctor reassures me that it will be fine and I do trust her, but Im just not sure. Anyone with my situation? I would love some advise. I have done lots of research and understand the findings. UGH!! So conflicted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2015, 02:19 PM
Re: Hysterectomy this week. Undecided about Cervix

My cervix was removed because it hurt contained fibroids and adenomyosis and cysts. Have you asked if you have adenomyosis ? I didn't want any pain after hyst. Plus , I didn't want a second surgery , later if leaving it still meant pain. My Dr said the best way to prevent prolapse ( I didn't have those issues) was to keep a healthy weight, don't take up smoking and don't be lifting heavy stuff. I had 3 vaginal births. I asked how to keep everything healthy down there. I'm fine with all of that. I exercise and eat right and am sexually active. She told me all was good pelvic wise.

I don't have a shorter vagina, sex is fine. Orgasms are good.

Ask a lot of questions. Each patient is a different case.
Unread 04-15-2015, 05:37 PM
Re: Surgery This Week - Undecided about Cervix

Heres a good article
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_597127.htm
And another good article
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_533713.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Re: Surgery This Week - Undecided about Cervix

I would definitely have it removed. I had your same concerns only I had cervical polyps and a prolapsed fibroid extending through my cervix so I didn't have a choice. I'm completely happy with my surgery and the sexual concerns I had were never an issue- everything is much better now.
Unread 04-16-2015, 08:50 AM
Re: Hysterectomy This Week - Undecided about Cervix

Have you ever had abnormal paps and/or a family history of cervical cancer? If so, those are compelling reasons for removing the cervix. Unfortunately, I've seen no consensus as to whether or not the cervix actually helps with pelvic floor support -- my doctor says it does, but others say it doesn't.

It was my doctor's idea to preserve my cervix, as long as it was healthy -- so I didn't know going into surgery if I would keep it or not. She really wanted to keep anything healthy. Luckily for me, my cervix was healthy and I still have it. Now that I'm well past surgery, I'm glad to still have it.

On one hand, I had a less complicated surgery and didn't have to worry about any issues related to a vaginal cuff (however, I wasn't cleared to resume intercourse any sooner than 6 weeks).

On the other hand, keeping your cervix and at least one ovary carries a small risk of having mini periods after a hysterectomy, usually 7-20% of women may have this. Also, you'll still have to get pap smears so if you hate those, that's something to consider. I have both ovaries, but haven't had any mini periods so I'm in the majority of women who never have one.

Based on my experience, I'm now an advocate for preserving healthy body parts when possible.

I know it's a lot to consider and you constantly wonder if you're making the "right" decision. There's no one right for everyone, though, so carefully consider what's right for YOU. Best of luck with your decision!
Unread 04-16-2015, 10:59 AM

I second everything that HappyDee said. I am an advocate for keeping all healthy body parts, and not having something removed unless there is a serious medical reason, specific to you, to have it removed.

I was very happy with the results and quick recovery time of my surgery - keeping my cervix.

Here's a good journal article summarizing the present status of the cervical issue:

http://ijcci.info/editorials/444-vol4a1

Best of luck in your decision-making.
Unread 04-16-2015, 11:23 AM

Many times it boils down to the health of the cervix and PT preference, Drs opinion and expertise. I'm 1 yr post op and doing fine. So whatever choice that's made, it will be okay everyone here is very supportive.
Unread 04-16-2015, 02:00 PM

I decided to have a total hysterectomy (uterus and cervix removed) b/c I had previous problems w/ cervical cancer, and b/c one of my main concerns was not having to deal w/ bleeding ever again. I didn't even want to worry about the possibility of 'mini periods'.

Pre op I did have a problem w/ Stress Incontinence and according to my doctor, a TH has no affect on incontinence at all, it's a completely unrelated/different issue.

While I do agree w/ some of the other ladies when it comes to not removing healthy organs, it is possible to put the final decision in your doctor's hands. Often there is no way of knowing what your exact diagnosis is until your doctor is actually performing your surgery. Pre-op I was diagnosed w/ menorrhagia, and one little fibroid showed up on my ultrasound...during surgery, my doctor discovered that I had Adenomyosis, an inflamed cervix, and vaginal polyps that had to be removed. I do not have a bladder sling.

I haven't noticed any issues w/ my stress incontinence, but I also haven't been cleared to exercise yet and I haven't been able to jump or run, but I also haven't had any urine leakage when I sneeze or cough which is an improvement from pre op.

If you do have your cervix removed it shouldn't cause any issue w/ vaginal prolapse...from what I've read, it is common practice for doctors to suspend the vaginal cuff w/ the ligaments that had been attached to the uterus (this is what my doctor did for me too).

I'm not sure how my sex life will be affected yet, but I did have my first post op exam at 2 1/2 wks and it was the first exam ever that was not painful for me. In the past, pelvic exams were painful for me b/c my cervix would always get bumped or pushed or pressed against...now there's no cervix in the way, and no more pain ; )

And like GeorgiaRose mentioned, my vagina isn't any shorter...in fact my doctor told me that after surgery it would be slightly longer than it was before : )
Unread 04-16-2015, 02:21 PM

Many thanks to all the sisters out there that have taken time to respond to my post. All your information has been very helpful. Im still undecided and I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there. I will post again after my surgery.
Unread 04-16-2015, 06:34 PM

Like Jupiter my cervix was inflamed as well and full of cysts. Sometimes they can be cranky, lol. Keep us posted, we are all in this together.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register