Exercise, 1 month post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Exercise, 1 month post hysterectomy Exercise, 1 month post hysterectomy

Unread 07-29-2021, 03:55 PM
Exercise, 1 month post hysterectomy

I’m really struggling with not being able to workout. I have gained quite a bit of weight/inches as I’ve been pretty depressed about not being able to move. My nights after work are very busy with running my daughter around to extra curricular activities so I used to do my workouts at 4 in the morning. I can’t go walk during that time because my daughter is 5 and can’t be left alone at home and I don’t own a treadmill. Are there any exercises I can do that will help me feel better? I’m used to doing light weight lifting and cardio. It’s becoming a negative on my confidence and I have somewhere planned to be in a swimsuit in 3 weeks that I’m considering cancelling because I don’t want to embarrass my husband with the way I look around his coworkers. I was doing a dance workout through Beachbody prior to surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2021, 05:40 PM

When i dont feel like going outside i walk around the house at a faster pace than usual. When i was recovering after i was safe to do so, i use the 3 steps in my sunken living room to do step ups for 15 min at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickiim View Post
I’m really struggling with not being able to workout. I have gained quite a bit of weight/inches as I’ve been pretty depressed about not being able to move. My nights after work are very busy with running my daughter around to extra curricular activities so I used to do my workouts at 4 in the morning. I can’t go walk during that time because my daughter is 5 and can’t be left alone at home and I don’t own a treadmill. Are there any exercises I can do that will help me feel better? I’m used to doing light weight lifting and cardio. It’s becoming a negative on my confidence and I have somewhere planned to be in a swimsuit in 3 weeks that I’m considering cancelling because I don’t want to embarrass my husband with the way I look around his coworkers. I was doing a dance workout through Beachbody prior to surgery.
Unread 07-29-2021, 06:02 PM
Re: Exercise

If the issue is the weight, it is worth noting that weight management is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise, so maybe look at the food? Cut down sodas, processed food, etc.

Have you kept your ovaries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2021, 09:59 PM
Re: Exercise

If you have the beachbody in demand workouts try the MBF workouts with Megan Davies. Really good and that may help. Also recommend Fast Metabolism diet book by Hailey Pomroy....good healthy eating, lots of water, veggies, fruit, protein and healthy fats. Changed my eating and feel so much better. Nutrition is so important to get under control and keep metabolism burning.

And do some yoga for stretching and flexibility! I have many workouts I do on BOD and I also ride horses.
Unread 07-30-2021, 03:52 AM

Because you're only one month out, I would suggest that you stick to walking for exercise until your surgeon clears you to do more. You can try looking up walking videos on YouTube, where you can find routines that can be done at home or snuck in while your daughter is doing her extra-curricular activities. As for the 80% diet part that GPMS mentioned, here are a few top tips: keep a food diary, and don't forget to include all those BLTs - bites, licks and tastes; fill half your plate with non-starchy vegetables, the remainder with a serving of carbs about the size of your cupped hand, and a palm-sized serving of protein; avoid high-glycemic carbs from white potatoes, sugary drinks, sugary spreads like jam or honey, candies, refined grain products, and most packages breakfast, snack, or dessert foods; focus on low-glycemic carbs from most fruits and vegetables, legumes, and whole grains; cook and cool high-carb foods to create resistant starch, which is more likely to be eliminated in your poop than stored as fat; have a shot glass of warm water with 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar prior to a high-carb meal to further lower the glycemic load; include regular moderate servings of MUFAs, monounsaturated fats from fatty fish, avocados, nuts and seeds, and unrefined olive oil. Best wishes for a successful weight loss, and for continued health and healing!
Unread 09-12-2021, 11:31 AM

I’m starting week 4 of post davinci total hysterectomy.
I see a post about Beach body. I love that site and prior to surgery had just finished The Work with Amoila Cesar. I’ve been doing 10 minute barre workouts, modifying for low impact, and lots of yoga (modifying).
My schedule for next week is 2 ten min barre workouts most days and T-25 stretch workout on other days.
Any other advice on programs to ease back into starting week 6?
Im feeling really great and thankful I was in good shape prior to surgery.
Thanks for any recommendations!!
Unread 09-12-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkinsfm View Post
I’m starting week 4 of post davinci total hysterectomy.
I see a post about Beach body. I love that site and prior to surgery had just finished The Work with Amoila Cesar. I’ve been doing 10 minute barre workouts, modifying for low impact, and lots of yoga (modifying).
My schedule for next week is 2 ten min barre workouts most days and T-25 stretch workout on other days.
Any other advice on programs to ease back into starting week 6?
Im feeling really great and thankful I was in good shape prior to surgery.
Thanks for any recommendations!!
Most surgeons only allow walking until clearance at 6 weeks for most.
Even if you feel good, your body will continue to heal for a while beyond 6 weeks.

I have seen many who go back to exercise too early, are in pain and have strong swelling in the pelvic area.

Too much activity will increase inflammation therefore swelling
Unread 09-12-2021, 05:59 PM
Re: Exercise, 1 month post hysterectomy

weight is controlled by calories in vs calories out. if you can't exercise, watch your calories. there are a lot of workouts online that you can do at home though.
Unread 09-12-2021, 07:29 PM
Re: Exercise, 1 month post hysterectomy

What about walking workout videos by Leslie Sansone? They are walk in place areobics and can be modified to be quite gentle. There are some on youtube.
Unread 09-13-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickiim View Post
I have somewhere planned to be in a swimsuit in 3 weeks that I’m considering cancelling because I don’t want to embarrass my husband with the way I look around his coworkers.
You are worth so more than just your weight and figure. I doubt your husband will be embarrassed by you, and if he is, that says far more about HIM than you - and nothing good.

At 7 weeks post op, whenever I did too much (like exercise!) I would swell up like a balloon. Some women are actually wearing maternity pants around that time due to the swelling! I was personally living in leggings and tunics, and a few times I commented that I knew full well I looked pregnant. My 17 year old son would confirm. It was all swelly belly, as I was not overweight.

You may want to find a coverup that would make you feel more comfy in your swimsuit. You may want to forgo the swimsuit and laugh and say “can you believe 7 weeks post op and I still have healing to do? My doctor said no swimming for me quite yet!” Whether it’s true or not.

Take heart - the swelling WILL go down. Right now, the best thing you can do is walk, but do realize more walking may well equal more swelling! Time is your friend here, and you simply need more of it to heal!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register