Jan 2020: Cervical "mini" period bleeding - what to do? (retained cervix) UPDATED July 2021 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Jan 2020: Cervical "mini" period bleeding - what to do? (retained cervix) UPDATED July 2021 Jan 2020: Cervical "mini" period bleeding - what to do? (retained cervix) UPDATED July 2021

Unread 01-31-2020, 02:52 PM
Jan 2020: Cervical "mini" period bleeding - what to do? (retained cervix) UPDATED July 2021

Are any ladies out there who kept their cervix getting "mini" periods? I'm 2 months post-op partial hyst and my OB says this is normal and should taper off as I continue to heal. Very disappointed as this is a lot of blood for someone without a uterus.

Did your bleeding ever stop or did you need to go back in and have them remove your cervix? Any advice? I've had to stop using bioidentical progesterone cream as it makes the bleeding even worse. So, I'm suffering through hot flashes when I'd have a period. Black cohosh seems to only work sometimes.

Thanks for reading and sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2020, 04:20 PM
Re: Cervical "mini" period bleeding - what to do?

i had mini periods for years after my LSH. they were so light that i didn't even need a pad or tampon. i could see blood when i wiped. my periods were so heavy before surgery that this didn't bother me at all. did your dr. tell you before that if you kept your cervix and ovaries that this could happen? hopefully yours will lighten up.
Unread 01-31-2020, 05:54 PM

There was a thread about this, maybe last month or so, you may be able to find it using search functionality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedupinblue View Post
i had mini periods for years after my LSH. they were so light that i didn't even need a pad or tampon. i could see blood when i wiped. my periods were so heavy before surgery that this didn't bother me at all. did your dr. tell you before that if you kept your cervix and ovaries that this could happen? hopefully yours will lighten up.
I definitely need a pad and am still bleeding small clots! I have to replace liners all day and wake up to fully saturated liners, needing a regular pad! I specifically asked my Dr. about what I'd heard about this and he told me this would not happen! Now he says it's completely normal and should taper off. My entire experience with this male OBGYN has been terrible. I can't even fathom another surgery!

GPMS
  Quote:
There was a thread about this, maybe last month or so, you may be able to find it using search functionality
Thank you, I will look for it.
Unread 02-03-2020, 02:26 PM
2 months post hysterectomy: Silver nitrate for mini-periods? (retained cervix)

What's involved with the silver nitrate treatment? I'm wondering because I kept my cervix and now have mini periods that are getting heavier and heavier. I'm 2 months and passing kidney bean sized clots and require a regular pad because I spill out of a panty liner!

I have a phone call in to my OBGYN to see what he says but I've heard of this treatment and was wondering what it involves.
Unread 02-03-2020, 03:01 PM
Jan 2020: Cervical "mini" period bleeding - what to do? (retained cervix) UPDATED July 2021

I believe silver nitrate is used only for when the cervix is removed, it is used on the cuff. Don't quote me on that though, I'm not 100% sure. Hopefully someone else will chime in. However, I was told that when you keep your cervix, you can still get a period every month. I would definitely follow up with your surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyScreenName View Post
What's involved with the silver nitrate treatment? I'm wondering because I kept my cervix and now have mini periods that are getting heavier and heavier. I'm 2 months and passing kidney bean sized clots and require a regular pad because I spill out of a panty liner!

I have a phone call in to my OBGYN to see what he says but I've heard of this treatment and was wondering what it involves.
Unread 02-04-2020, 05:49 AM
Re: Silver nitrate for mini-periods? (retained cervix)

I've separated your reply for your mini-period concerns with a cervix since the original post was granulation of the vaginal cuff. I think you'll get more support in your own thread.

Silver nitrate is indeed used for cauterization of any bleeding areas, including the cervix for mini-periods from any remaining uterine tissue. Since the cervix is the lower part of the uterus, a surgeon has to make a best-guess as to where to cut away - there is no "Cut along dotted line" . While the remaining tissue gets cauterized at the time of surgery, some might have been missed. That's likely what you're experiencing. This happens to about 11% of women who retain their cervix. For some, it's a minor annoyance and they put up with it, and it may only last for a few months, but for others like you it's more of an issue with being heavier, going on longer than they wish, or they just don't want it so they opt for an in-office treatment.

There have been past threads where Sisters have had their cervix cauterized for mini-periods. Unfortunately, the discussions tend to turn to vaginal cuff cauterization, leaving the original poster with few responses which are valid in her situation. Two which might help you:As you see, experience runs from uncomfortable to initial pain - that really depends on the member herself - and the first thread reported success. Some info on the treatment itself and the after effects is in our Granulation Treatment of the Vaginal Cuff article.

Unread 02-04-2020, 03:40 PM
Re: 2 months post hysterectomy: Silver nitrate for mini-periods? (retained cervix)

Thank you for the info Cussette. I asked my Dr. if this would be a possibility and he said no. Now he says I'm in the 10% this happens to. UGH! After everything now this.
Unread 02-04-2020, 04:47 PM

At six weeks visit I was told everything looks good. I asked if I could begin working out again and told yes lightly. However, it was too much movement and I had vaginal bleeding. I went back and was told I had a tear on the vaginal cuff and she put silver nitrate or some medical stuff that sounds like that..on the tear and it healed. But I was back under doctor's care for another 4 weeks
Unread 02-04-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsgree View Post
At six weeks visit I was told everything looks good. I asked if I could begin working out again and told yes lightly. However, it was too much movement and I had vaginal bleeding. I went back and was told I had a tear on the vaginal cuff and she put silver nitrate or some medical stuff that sounds like that..on the tear and it healed. But I was back under doctor's care for another 4 weeks
Thanks for sharing. Mine is definitely a period when I was supposed to get it. Just wondering a time frame as to when women deal with these mini periods with silver nitrate?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register