dVH/RALH 8 days post hysterectomy: Itchy stomach near incision! Tips? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 days post hysterectomy: Itchy stomach near incision!  Tips? 8 days post hysterectomy: Itchy stomach near incision! Tips?

Unread 07-28-2021, 09:12 AM
8 days post hysterectomy: Itchy stomach near incision! Tips?

One of my lovely incisions was in my belly button. Surrounding that area has started to itch. Ive lightly massaged the area with my finger tips but it is drivjng me mad. I added lotion hoping it would help. Nope. It didnt. Anyone else? Tips? I am the WORSR at NOT itching. When i was a kid. My mom actually taped socks that were on my hands so i wouldnt scratch at my mosquito bites hahaha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2021, 10:37 AM
Re: Itchy stomach

Oooo, I remember that from my lap incisions and have experienced more recently with a vertical incision! Don't put lotion on it unless your doctor has specifically okayed it. The ingredients may not be best suited to surgical wounds, and it may introduce bacteria to the wound.

All I did was rub around the itchy spot with my fingertips. It helped, but for the most part it was simply putting up with it. Some women have a bit of luck numbing the incision with an ice pack wrapped in a clean towel.

Unread 07-28-2021, 11:51 AM

An ice pack wrapped in a towel! I had a lap hysterectomy on the 19th, and all of my incisions have been incredibly itchy. An ice pack has been my go to for itch relief. It numbs it a bit and feels really soothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2021, 06:07 PM

Good to know. Ill try that. Thank you!!
Unread 07-28-2021, 06:08 PM

An ice pack it is. Thank you again!!
Unread 07-31-2021, 12:09 AM
Re: 8 days post hysterectomy: Itchy stomach near incision! Tips?

Yes, mine were itchy too for a couple weeks. I have a gel called ASAP. It's silver biotics gel. There may be other things to use but I knew this one would be safe. I put it on all my incisions. You can google it if you'd like.
Unread 08-01-2021, 01:59 PM

Awesome, Ill look that up! Thank you!
Unread 08-01-2021, 04:20 PM
Re: 8 days post hysterectomy: Itchy stomach near incision! Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MESLib81 View Post
Awesome, Ill look that up! Thank you!
Just adding, mine was laproscopic. I didn't touch the incisions for 5 days when I was to gently wash them by letting water run over them in the shower and at that time take the upper bandage off. They only became itchy after they were well on their way to healing. I thought it maybe was the bandage cover that had to be left to "fall off" that made me itchy. They fell off but I don't know where lol. Nevertheless I know the feeling.
Unread 08-02-2021, 02:49 PM

Ugh! A bittersweet memory:

Itchy cause if healing (sweet), but not being able to get it to calm down (bitter)

I would just gently massage/rub the surrounding areas.

Never thought of ice pack, though. Great idea!
Unread 08-02-2021, 03:17 PM

My top incision itched like crazy last night. I put cortisone around my incision. Im glad it's not just me. the hardest part is bot going about my bidness like everything is normal. Ive tried and man...it really tires me out. However...sleeping normally doesnt really happen and hasnt for the last week.

Last night tho....i got up to old lady pee a few times and thankfully, I was able to fall back asleep! Yay!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register