Grocery store whoops @ 28 days post hysterectomy - anyone else had this happen and it turned out ok? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Grocery store whoops @ 28 days post hysterectomy - anyone else had this happen and it turned out ok? Grocery store whoops @ 28 days post hysterectomy - anyone else had this happen and it turned out ok?

Unread 07-29-2021, 07:59 AM
Grocery store whoops @ 28 days post hysterectomy - anyone else had this happen and it turned out ok?

Hi ladies!

I'm 28 days post op.

I was at the commissary 3 days ago to get lunch. I grabbed a basket to get some fresh sushi. I decided to take my walk for the day in the store, it's huge. I get the the back of the store and my basket is full with a the yummy fresh veggies I didn't think I needed!

The pain and pressure hot on my incision and I realized I was holding at least 30 ponds.

I grabbed someone to help me check out and at home as well to carry things. I have been resting since then and the spotting is almost gone. Anyone else do this? Did you end up being ok? I think it just was scary but nothing was seriously damaged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2021, 09:08 AM
Re: Grocery store whoops @ 28 days post hysterectomy - anyone else had this happen and it turned out ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megancarling View Post
Hi ladies!

I'm 28 days post op.

I was at the commissary 3 days ago to get lunch. I grabbed a basket to get some fresh sushi. I decided to take my walk for the day in the store, it's huge. I get the the back of the store and my basket is full with a the yummy fresh veggies I didn't think I needed!

The pain and pressure hot on my incision and I realized I was holding at least 30 ponds.

I grabbed someone to help me check out and at home as well to carry things. I have been resting since then and the spotting is almost gone. Anyone else do this? Did you end up being ok? I think it just was scary but nothing was seriously damaged.
So I'm even less further a long than you at about 2 weeks post-op. A few days ago, I did something similar. I was feeling really, really good - like almost back to normal good - and I drove myself to a doctor's appointment. There were some heavy doors to open on the way in, one of them being a handicap door where you push the button. I pushed the button, but it wasn't opening, so I ended up opening the door manually. That was a mistake! Those doors are HEAVY! I felt something pinch down below, and not long thereafter, I started cramping and had this pinkish blood when I went to the bathroom. I have to add that up until that door I've been doing what I thought was OK to do - light chores, walking a lot, picking stuff up, bending, etc. because I felt good.

I called my doctor and explained everything. His nurse said I'm doing way too much and ordered me to complete couch rest for 2 days. The cramping and bleeding stopped the next day, but I felt swollen down below - like there was something in my vagina. I continued to rest another day, and now things feel much better.

So, hope this helps! Lesson learned, when we start feeling better that's that time to be extra cautious. My nurse told me just because I feel better doesn't mean I am better. When they say 6 weeks of rest, they really do mean 6 weeks!
Unread 07-29-2021, 11:16 AM
Re: Grocery store whoops @ 28 days post hysterectomy - anyone else had this happen and it turned out ok?

I have been on this forum for 8 years and it see “oopsies” like yours all the time.

You should be ok soon, if pain get severe and you bleed like a pad an hour, contact your doctor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2021, 06:22 AM

Let's see, at various points during my recovery... I went shopping for 4 hours at 12 days into my recovery and was swelling and crampy for the rest of the day into the next. ...I pressed down on one of those heavy-duty desk top staplers (the kind that staple 50 pages), felt a pull, and got a coworker to do it for me - we laughed about it. ... Shove a 24-pack of soda over my head on a high shelf at 12 weeks, got swelling and mild cramps. ...When I kicked up my core routine at 5 months, got the same swelling and mild cramps.

Did any of those cause the adhesion which lead to my surgery 4-1/2 months ago, 5 years after my hysterectomy? Dunno, and I'm not going to speculate or place blame. Most of us probably have adhesions which form in the days following surgery, but for most of us they don't cause any issues. I could've done everything by the book and still be one of the "lucky" ones with a PS to their hysterectomy story.

At 28 days, the concern is still internal bleeding or a vaginal cuff tear. It's easy to get caught up in the moment or react instinctively - I recall a Sister breaking up a dog fight, and several picking up a crying toddler. Just rest and take it as a lesson learned.

Unread 07-30-2021, 07:17 AM

I absolutely love this website! It has given me so much information. I was given a sheet and told to come back in a month. The staff was great and very caring, but the post op discussion is definitely an important one that was glossed over.. Tha changes that happen when you are healing are intense! Thanks for this wealth of information!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register