Rimadyl (Medication for Arthritic Dogs) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rimadyl (Medication for Arthritic Dogs) Rimadyl (Medication for Arthritic Dogs)

Unread 12-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Rimadyl (Medication for Arthritic Dogs)

Has anyone used Rimadyl for their arthritic dog?

I have been using for my dog for about 2 weeks now.....I see very very little results. I don't like the side effects of this drug, which is liver and/or kidney trouble. My vet will not administer any more Rimadyl, unless my dog has a blood test to check the liver. Blood test is costly. My dog can hardly walk and it is difficult for him to get to the Vet's office. I am disabled myself.

I'm thinking of not continuing the Rimadyl and getting natural supplements: Glucosamine and other remedies to help my dog.
Has anyone worked with the natural remedies and if so, which ones. I would appreciate any info.

I have been reading about Rimadyl online and pet owners have had bad results with this medication.

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have to help.

Thank you so very much.

Happy Holidays to all and God Bless your pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2004, 06:52 AM

Hi aires;
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. How old is it?
Do you feed it a "good food"? There are many types of food that contain Glucosamine and chondroitin. There are also many items you can buy at your local pet store. Most foods that contain Glucosamine and chondroitin can only be purchased in pet stores. There is also a powder formula that you sprinkle on the dog's food.
Your pet store employee's should be able to assist you if you go in and ask about suplements. If not, please PM me and I will send you a list of products to try. I used to manage a pet store and do not work for ANY pet company. The items I mention are only my suggestions.

Hope this helps you!

Sybie
Unread 12-20-2004, 07:00 AM

Believe it or not Cod Liver Oil is still one of the most used Arthritis remedies for both humans and pets.
I have used it on cats (capsuls squeezed onto food) with great sucsess.
A vet I worked for recomended it for dogs on a regular basis.
He said it wouldn't do any harm and it was more likely to do good.
So it might be worth a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2004, 08:34 AM

I know we used a drug for a dog we used to have but I can't remember if that was it. I do remember having to go in for frequent lab work, yes it is expensive, but worth it. Our dog also had Cushings which is a disease of the adrenal gland so some thing she could take and some she couldn't. I never knew dogs got Cushings, I have only heard of it in humans.
Unread 12-20-2004, 01:01 PM

Thank you all so very much for the suggestions and support.

My Tiger is 10 years old....he is a large dog and always had bad leg problems but the past 6 months it has gotten bad. He doesn't go up and down stairs any longer. It breaks my heart to see him like this. He never complains...he is my big angel. I have many dogs who have gotten ill and gone to heaven. I miss each and every one of them.

He will only eat Moist and Meaty dog food and people food, of course. He is very spoiled. I am now looking into supplements for him and will try to cod liver oil also.

Again, thank you all....God bless you and your pets.

Happy Holidays
Unread 12-20-2004, 08:37 PM

If you haven't noticed any improvement with the Rimadyl, I'd call the vet back. We tried Dermaxx with our labrador (I think they said that Rimadyl wasn't suited for labs, but I could be wrong about that), and she had trouble with retaining water. Now she's taking Metacam which is working very well, and she tolerates it well too. It's a little expensive, but not horribly so.
Unread 12-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Unhappy - Rimadyl (Medication for Arthritic Dogs) Rimadyl

I'm sorry about your dog. I have Newfy's and know about the joint pain. Rimadyl works with some but not all. There are some newer meds you can ask the vet about. I also tried accupuncture and had great results. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself! Lying on a heating pad like a lectro kennel pad seemed to help also.
Good luck!
Pat
Unread 12-21-2004, 11:38 AM

I've used Rimadyl in the past on both my Sheltie and Husky-mix. I too don't like the fact that it can cause liver and kidney damage, also caused severe stomach upset in my husky !! My female Sheltie has arthritis in both her front legs in the elbow joint, she is currently on glucosamine, but I plan on trying the accupuncture !! Read an article my mom sent me on it -- everyone ranted and raved about it, so I figure it's worth a try!! My neighbor has it done everyother month or so after having had hip surgery, and she swears by it !
Unread 01-03-2005, 09:03 PM

The word Rimadlymakes me nervous. My little beloved lacey dog was 12 and just not jumping up and down like she usually could so I took her to the vet and he said rimydal will make her better and dont worry about the bad side effects. Well she did jump better but got sick and I took her back thought she had a could and he said she had a liver problem and that it wasnt anything that could be cured. I would have carried her around more and put her up and down on the sofa if I would have known what that med would have done to her she was a very healthy dog even at 12 only thing she would have is allergies in summer but I had to have her put to sleep on Feb 14th. I started her on the med in November I cant say that it really cause this but just seems funny,
Julie
Unread 01-04-2005, 03:41 PM

Sparkey,
I am sorry that you had to put your Lacey to sleep.

I have taken my Tiger off the Rimadyl after reading so many bad things about it and it wasn't helping him at all.

He is now on Glucosamine and Clonidin. Tiger has severe arthritis in both his back legs and when he walks they get twisted on him. He has always had leg problems from about 2 years old...he is now 10. My heart breaks when I see him fall but he really fights it and knows what to do. My fear is when I take him in the car to the Vet or to have his grooming. It's very stressful for both of us. He is a very large dog and it's difficult for him. He doesn't go up or down stairs any longer. They know their limits.
I'm praying he will improve.

God Bless your Lacey in heaven.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register