Sydney Blue - Aussie Update | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sydney Blue - Aussie Update Sydney Blue - Aussie Update

Unread 12-31-2004, 12:26 AM
Sydney Blue - Aussie Update

We got the aussie registration papers. Apparently, Sydney's mom is "Ranger Danger" and dad is "Mick D" like the crocodile hunter!

I've wanted to include something blue in his long name...like Sydney Blue Bayou... That blue eye is the most beautiful color. Actually, the brown one is kinder. I think the blue one stands out of the black side of his face in a bold and daring way.

He is entering the "terrible two's" according to one book...age 12 weeks - 18 weeks. He is still biting and nipping terribly, but does listen to our requests now. He doesn't always follow them This dog wants very much to be in the ALPHA position. He is very smart, stubborn and mischevious. It's probably good he didn't end up with a totally unexperienced owner...he'd be at the pound right now. We are home more than most folks...and very committed to raising him right!

DOES ANYONE RECOMMEND A CERTAIN KIND OF LEASH FOR TEACHING HIM NOT TO PULL WHEN WALKING? The dog whisperer uses one that sits high on the neck to keep their attention. I oppose choke and prong collars. Is a harness a good idea?

He is VERY enthusiastic and outgoing at the moment. Need to get him heeling a bit better. He's more than doubled in size in six weeks...probably over 20 lbs at 12 weeks. It's getting tougher to hang on!!

s Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2004, 12:42 AM

Hi Kim,
We have a samoyed and she's always wanted to pull on the leash, we do find the harness works well with pulling , it seems to hold her better across the chest. I think your "Sydney" is a very handsome dog, hope he gets over the terrible twos soon it took Scamp about 2 years UGH!
She is a sweetie it's her saving grace, I put a picture in my photo gallery, despite being a bit naughty wouldn't swap her for the World
Goodluck
Unread 12-31-2004, 09:31 AM

There's a harness called a Gentle Leader http://www.gentleleader.com/pages.cfm?ID=29
that a coworker of mine swears by. It's not expensive either, and she picked hers up at one of those mega-pet stores so you don't have to order it over the internet if you don't want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2005, 11:08 AM

Wendy, Jane...

Thanks for the info. We had a somewhat successful walk yesterday (it quit raining for a while!). He behaved about 3/4 of the walk. And did so for my DD as well. My former dog would be a bit excited and go really fast at the beginning of the walk. This one starts pulling hard when we are nearing home. Guess they all have their thing!

He still wants to bite in a big way, and draws blood daily on all of us. We are being very firm at this point. Oooohh it's trying.

Told my mom yesterday how he has even jumped up and bit my arse as I was walking away
Unread 01-01-2005, 11:19 AM

Wendy...your dog is gorgeous by the way!!

Everyone thinks Sydney resembles the dog on the "Bounty" paper towel commercial. They are built much the same. Syd just has the blue merle pattern and one blue eye.

Hugs,

Kim
Unread 01-13-2005, 04:30 PM

Kim

I have a rottie who just loves to pull when walking. I hate choker chains too. I did use one on her for quite a while and still hate them. Then I got a chest harness. Until the clasp gave way on it, I loved it. She still pulled, but we had much better control over her. I have to buy another one yet. I'm back to using a normal lead on her and she pulls way too much again.

I looked at the pics of your dog. He is beautiful and his eyes are so unusual. I also love the pic of your dog Wendy.

I have 2 girls - the rottie and a rottie/ridgeback cross. I have pics on this site, but my photo gallery doesn't come up under my avatar. If you want to see my girls, just go to the photo gallery and search on buckkie. It will bring up my gallery of 10 pics.

Our rottie also liked to give "love bites" when we first got her (boy aren't puppy teeth sharp!). She used to nip my elbows and the backs of knees. Being consistent with a very firm "no" every time broke her of the habit (after around 3 months). And we won't even go into how many pairs of thongs (footwear - you call them flip flops I believe) got chewed up. She use to chew the little rubber lugs off first - rendering them totally useless.

Now if I can just convince her that around 85lbs is just too big to be a lap dog

Give your boy a big hug from me.

Hugs and regards
Unread 01-13-2005, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dylli
Wendy...your dog is gorgeous by the way!!

Everyone thinks Sydney resembles the dog on the "Bounty" paper towel commercial. They are built much the same. Syd just has the blue merle pattern and one blue eye.

Hugs,

Kim
Hi Kim, Our Sophie Blue looks a lot like that dog in the Bounty commercial also. I was looking at your recent pictures of Sydney, and he really looks a lot like our Bernese Mountain dog. She has the one blue eye and the one brown one like yours does.

Sydney is lucky to have found such wonderful masters as your family. I hope you get the correct leash you need for his walks. S~Marilyn
Unread 01-13-2005, 09:51 PM

Moonchime,

Too bad we're getting Sydney snorfleed...they'd probably make interesting puppies!! I've never bred dogs before. This one definitely doesn't need the extra "job".

I'm going leash shopping tomorrow (and treats, too). He is STILL biting...some days worse than others. He is so STRONG-WILLED.

Buckkie...sounds like you have a "loving handful" too. Here we are, all these girls with BIG DOGS!!

I was reading about Sydney's rapid growth. It said some Aussies will get up to 70 lbs. Ouch.

He already has this habit of fetching the toy, then running and "LANDING" on our lap. He will have to stop this for sure!! He's already getting soooo strong. We have had record breaking rainfall here the last two weeks. We have to take him potty on leash because he will play and run through the muddy flower beds. We have been SINKING into the mud and he bites us to pieces when we try to wipe him. We are in for a long haul!

s Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register