Currently reading | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Currently reading Currently reading

Unread 12-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Currently reading

Consuming Passions by Judith Flanders. This is by a social historian with an interest in Victorian Britain. She wrote a very popular book on the Victorian house a couple of years ago and in this book, she turns her attention to the Victorians' shopping and leisure habits. It's full of fascinating stuff, much of which we already know, but from a different angle, so that we get a fresh perspective. For example, newspapers were very expensive, because they were taxed, but far more people read them than bought their own. They were available through coffee houses and gentlemen's clubs, and a single copy sent to a district could make its way through dozens of hands before it was cut up into squares and hung up in the 'convenience.'

The book itself was only published this year, so it's in hardback and is solid and heavy. Those who have scars and stitches on their mid-sections might find it a bit heavy; I'm pre-op and having quite a lot of nausea, so I don't read it unless I'm in my armchair, with a good, strong chair arm to balance it on. It's out in a more manageable paperback in June.

My other book is Carnevale, by Michelle Lovric. It's set in Venice in the 18th century and is about a young artist and her passionate encounters with Casanova and Lord Byron. Michelle Lovric is a writer who is in love with language and imagery - she piles it on till it's almost too rich to digest. Those who like their prose economical and pared-down probably won't enjoy it, but if you want to be taken right out of your own head with loads of colour, drama and emotion, it's ideal. Her other novels, The Remedy and The Floating Book (probably my favourite to date) are also available and make gorgeous reading and they are all in paperback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Currently reading

I love reading too and always have a book going ( or 2 ).
Right now I'm reading "A Salty Piece of Land " by Jimmy Buffet. Very entertaining
After that I'm diving into the 7 Alexander McCall Smith books that Santa brought to me. They're from his "#1 Ladies' Detective Agency " series.
Unread 12-27-2006, 08:10 AM
Currently reading

I always have at least two books on the go at any one time; reading is almost like breathing or eating for me, something I just have to do. When I'm ill, I tend to scale my literary ambitions back a bit and concentrate on crime fiction rather than George Eliot, but I don't stop reading. Give me a good book, a cup of tea and a couple of ginger biscuits and I'm exactly where I want to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Currently reading

ah, I've found my niche! I too am a "2 at a time or more" reader, right now, in my work bag is AnnMargret's autobiography, and at home, the DaVinci Code, also looking forward to the 13th Lemony Snicket and Hannibal Rising, which "Santa" brought me! Am I the only one who's looking forward to time off work to read? I know I'm strange! Although with 3 kids (16, 11 and 22 mo.), a husband and big house, and a 5 unit college class, it won't really be that much time off! What books did everyone get for xmas?
Unread 12-31-2006, 03:12 PM
Currently reading

I did... well, I got a gift card to Books-A-Million which I used to buy the new John Grisham book 'The Innocent Man', and two Mitch Albom books 'for one more day' and 'the five people you meet in heaven'. My brother got me one of those sweet, inspirational books called '50 things that really matter'.
I've already finished 'for one more day'. It was a quick, fun read.
DM picked up 'Marley and Me' and is sending back down to me read when shes finished. It's supposed to be really funny.
Unread 12-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Currently reading

I just put "the 5 people you meet in heaven" on my Netflix queue! I'm a movie buff too. I'm in the middle of reading the last Lemony Snicket, can barely put it down! Those books are so cute, if any of you got them for your kids, look 'em over, they're hilarious!
Unread 12-31-2006, 07:13 PM
Currently reading

Have any of you ladies read The Book of Lost Things By John Connolly? I just started it and cannot put it down. It's a little eerie, but it's looking to be a great read so far! By the way, I'm a two (or more) at a time reader also!
Unread 12-31-2006, 07:52 PM
Currently reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisurf
Have any of you ladies read The Book of Lost Things By John Connolly? I just started it and cannot put it down. It's a little eerie, but it's looking to be a great read so far! By the way, I'm a two (or more) at a time reader also!
I read this and loved it and passed it onto my DH, who also enjoyed it. It's very similar to some of Angela Carter's output; creepy, fantastical, derivative in all the right ways, with some original things going on in it as well. It also put me in mind of Neil Gaiman's book, Coraline - another one to be avoided if you are nervous, but also loads of fun.
Unread 01-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Currently reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlington
I read this and loved it and passed it onto my DH, who also enjoyed it. It's very similar to some of Angela Carter's output; creepy, fantastical, derivative in all the right ways, with some original things going on in it as well. It also put me in mind of Neil Gaiman's book, Coraline - another one to be avoided if you are nervous, but also loads of fun.

I love Angela Carter!! 'Specially _Circus Nights_ and _Wise Children_ -- that one cracks me up every time!
Unread 01-02-2007, 01:00 AM
Currently reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian Paroo
I love Angela Carter!! 'Specially _Circus Nights_ and _Wise Children_ -- that one cracks me up every time!
I think those are her best two as well, although The Magic Toyshop is also very good and I love her short story about Puss in Boots. I love cats and he's a particularly naughty Puss.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register