What are you reading now, and what's your next book gonna be? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What are you reading now, and what's your next book gonna be? What are you reading now, and what's your next book gonna be?

Unread 05-09-2006, 06:34 PM
What are you reading now, and what's your next book gonna be?

I just finished "The Mermaid's Chair" by Sue Monk Kidd & hope to get "The Hunt Club" by Rita Mae Brown from the library.

Also read a book called "The Reading Group"; it was good but I don't remember the author's name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2006, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian Paroo
I have _Easy Over_, by Japser Fforde (of Thursday Next) on order at the local bookstore.
Correction on the title: It's _The Big Easy Over_ and I'm still waiting. Grrrrrr!
Unread 05-10-2006, 08:00 AM

Right now I'm reading Serpico by Frank Maas, which is an outstanding biography of one lone policeman in New York who exposes illegal activities in the police department and almost dies for it--before this, I re-read all of James Herriot's famous tales of life as a country vet (All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, All Things Wise and Wonderful, The Lord God Made Them All). Be sure to read the Herriot books with a pillow, he is so funny and you will need to laugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2006, 11:07 AM

James Herriot is wonderful - I'll never forget the anecdote of the farting boxer dog taken in by the old man with no sense of smell. If you like Herriot, have you tried Derek Tangye?
Unread 05-10-2006, 11:40 AM

For me, the most wonderful story had to be Herriot's first effort to gain semen from a bull for artificial insemination...and then, of course, to be Uncle to the dog (Pumphrey?)who had "flop-bott" and other mysterious ailments. I'll look up Derek Tangye immediately at the library! Thanks!
Unread 05-10-2006, 11:57 AM

Heehee - the dog was Tricky-Woo, and the owner was Mrs. Pumfrey, I think, who served wonderful food for those prepared to indulge her darling.

Derek and Jeannie Tangye were members of the luvvie theatre set in London in the 1950s (after he was a serving officer), and he was never keen on animals until Jeannie brought home a bedraggled little kitten who stole his heart. Eventually they sold up and bought a property down in Cornwall called Minack, where they raised generations of beasties. It's now a nature reserve.
Unread 05-14-2006, 01:15 PM

I am reading Margrave of the Marshes, John Peel's autobiography which was finished by his family when he died so suddenly. It is wonderful. I can just imagine his voice telling me the anedotes as I read. Would thoroughly recommend it.

For those who enjoy James Herriot, have you tried Gervaise Phinn who writes about things that happened to him as an English schools' inspector? Very witty. Also based in Yorkshire and although fact reads like fiction.

Next book? Not sure, I am enjoying Susan Hill at the moment so may try to find an unread one of hers.
Unread 05-14-2006, 03:33 PM

I just finished Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, the book was great, I hated to finish, definitely a book I will reread. I have been trying to read House by Frank Peretti, it is kind of strange, don't know if I will be able to finish it. I have read the Da Vinci Code, and enjoyed it. I will have to check out the Labyrinth. Carol
Unread 05-14-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianni

Next book? Not sure, I am enjoying Susan Hill at the moment so may try to find an unread one of hers.
Susan Hill is great, and her continuation of _Rebecca_ was soooo creepy!

I also so _Woman in Black_ the last time I was in London, talk about things that go bump in the night!
Unread 05-15-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian Paroo

I also so _Woman in Black_ the last time I was in London, talk about things that go bump in the night!
That must be one of the only ghost stories that i have every really enjoyed because it was so convincing.

I will try her Rebecca continuation , sounds good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register