What odd or quirky names do your pets have? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What odd or quirky names do your pets have? What odd or quirky names do your pets have?

Unread 09-10-2007, 12:35 PM
What odd or quirky names do your pets have?

My cats are all named after gemstones--because they're silicates.

Think about it.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2007, 02:02 PM
my feline babies over the years --

Just found this thread - loved reading all the names and loving thoughts on the fur, the feathered, and the scaled babies!

Growing up we had dogs thanks to my sister (who kept begging our dad!):
Cindy - a beagle, later we got Rusty - german shepherd mix
(she has had cats and some other dogs - since I got married and moved out).

However, thanks to my sister who volunteered at the humane shelter and later got paid to work there -- my house has become a cat family (I started to say ". . .has become a cat house!" Oops! )

She brought home a 3 week old kitten who had to be bottle fed around the clock - he was so tiny, grey tiger stripe with blue eyes (which changed colors when he got older), fit in the palm of your hand. Anyway, I fell in love with him, "JJ" and adopted him. He lived to be 19.
Then a month after we got JJ, we got 8 week old pure white "Muffin" (aka "Muffy") who was a farm kitten and covered with more fleas than I'd ever seen. Needless to say she got a lot of baths in the beginning. She lived to be 12, died post-op for tumor removal on her jaw.
A few months after JJ died, my DD brought home (from a baby shower she'd been to) another 7 week old kitten who looked just like JJ. She called him "Zaion" but I changed it to Zeb (cause he looked like a Zebra w/ grey and black stripes. That was in 1995, he is now 12.)
A week later we brought home his litter mate, Zoey, a pretty litte girl who we had for about 18 months. We think she got into some poison or something because she was fine one day and the next was gone.
We had another female after her, a beautiful solid silky gray one from a rescue group, named "Polly" which we changed to "Molly." She was wonderful and with us about 2 years, before developing a tumor in her stomach. I used to feed her baby food meats as that was all she could handle.

We seem to have better"luck" with the boys than the girls.

Zeb is a Momma's boy, and is laying beside my keyboard right now. He is an indoor-outdoor guy and loves to bring me "presents" (gross), but he is proud of his offerings! He'll follow me around, to be in my lap, or on my bed, and he is very chatty. If he thinks I am on the computer too much - he will flop his arm or his head on my left arm or hand and leave it there! He'll head-butt my arm, hand or neck if he wants to attention. He doesn't like it if I am gone for more than a few days - even if I have someone feedng him. Heck, my DD and DgD can be here with him and that doesn't matter! Last year, after we got back from vacation - he bit me just hard enough to keep ahold but not break skin to let me know he was upset with me!

In the late 90s, a one eyed, 6 toed, asthmatic scraggly male about 7-8 yrs old, followed my DD home (supposedly). He was mal-nurioushed and had horrible breath! He was pitiful, but we had him checked out and kept him. DD named him "Issaac" and he got along well with Zeb and all of the daycare kids. I think he was just so happy to have a home again, and of course, we fattened him up! We had him for about 7- 8 years.

DH says no to getting anymore fur-babies right now - as he wants to be able to travel when he/we retire. Of course, Zeb won't be happy with that - so any really long trips will have to wait until he meets his friends again. Which I sure hope isn't for a long, long time.

Thanks for listening to me ramble and remember!!

lovers for 32 years now,
Unread 09-10-2007, 03:39 PM

I have a total of 4 cats now. I had two Jasmin and Penny. When I remarried my DH renamed Penny = QUARTER...said she was to big to be a Penny. Then we inherited Ernie and Fluffy. Fluffy was rename by the DH =SQUIRREL cuz' she likes and acts like one. We also have 3 steers...NORM, CLIFF, and *****...like the Cheer's bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2007, 12:12 AM

WE have a house full of pets. We first got Bo and Otis...they are twin long hair cats. We had a stray sneak in our house one night and gave us a beautiful litter of kittens. We kept the twins. I was working for a local vet and a customer brought in a litter of 3 jack russell/pug mix puppies that needed to be bottle fed......I got them at 24 hours old and fed the whole litter...we kept one....Paige..she looks like a pug on stilits...she is so ugly she is cute! We rescued Kitty `~ she is a cataholua leopard dog mix. She is a big scarde cat....kitty fits her perfect. We got Button our Maltese in May right after y surgery and he is the baby of the house. He is laying on my checks as I type. He is so spoiled and rotten. We just love him!!!!
Unread 09-28-2007, 10:34 PM

Two cats rule my house now. Annie (short for Annabel) and Dante.

I lost my sweet baby "V" to cancer a few months ago. He was only 3 1/2 and Annie's litter mate. His name is actually "Varyon", but we called him just "V" or "V-Baby". He was a gentle, wise old soul despite his youth. My son named him after a computer term (my son's a computer geek) and it just stuck. I mourn him still...

I found Dante on my stoop in November 2006. He was a beautiful white-whiskered tuxedo cat about 9 months old. He was literally curled up in front of my door. Obviously, this was a sign so I took him to the vet for a checkup and shots. When I went to pay, the vet tech put him in my arms. Here I was jostling purse, checkbook, pen and cat... of course something startled the cat and he sank teeth and claws into my arm. It took two techs to unhook me. Blood everywhere and I had to take Augmentin for the resulting infection.

When I got him home and opened his crate in my extra bedroom, he just hissed and growled. This went on for days... After a week, when no one came forward in response to the posters and animal shelter notification, I took him in to be "fixed". When the receptionist asked me his name, I said it was either Dante (from Dante's Inferno ) or Cujo - I wasn't sure yet.

Well - Dante stuck, and he earned his name that first month (I have the scars to prove it), but with lots of love and kindness he has turned into a veritable lap-cat. His new nick-name is 'love-bug'.

Though I didn't know it at the time, V-Baby already had cancer when Dante came to live with us. I think that Dante chose us for a reason - so that Annie and I wouldn't be alone...

-Elaine
Unread 09-29-2007, 12:39 AM

My DH and I are on staff for 2 cats. They go by the names Molly (short for the Unsinkable Molly Brown) & Mr. Wilson (Dennis the Menace). They do not answer to anything but, nummy nums time to eat or where is the mousy?

Molly joined our family in Nov 98 after our chinchilla Oscar J Chillawack Jr. was called home to the big wheel in the sky.

Mr. Wilson came to live with us in May 05. Our eldest cat Caboodles was put down in Nov 04. He was 13. I still miss his kitty kisses.

Molly is quite the cat, more watchdog than cat. She will growl when someone is at the door she thinks should go away.
Mr. Wilson is such a big boy at 18 lbs. Drools when you pet him just right. lol

Thanks for letting me write about my pets. I get such joy out of them. I'm gonna go give 'em kisses right now.
Unread 09-29-2007, 06:35 AM

Our seven yr old cat is named "puppy"....our ds at 5 yrs old named him.....said if we ever got a puppy we would name it kitty. Kids are priceless!
Unread 09-29-2007, 07:35 AM

I have 2 dogs now which are both rescue pets. Meg is a lurcher and gets megz and a terrier called paddy who gets 'nik nak' as in nik nak paddy wak giv a dog a bone'. We had a beautiful black lab named Jake who passed away 2 years ago aged 13. I used to call him mummies special soldier (from a tv advert) when he was getting a treat or a big cuddle. Much to my hubbies annoyance Jake used to come to me from another room no matter what he was doing when i said 'where's mummies special soldier'. We all loved him dearly as we do all our pet's but he was our 1st family pet and will always have a very special place in our hearts.
Unread 09-29-2007, 07:42 AM

I have 5 cats, one of which is pregnant up to her eyeballs. Their names are Ice, Spooky, Garfeild, Greya, and Angel. Ice answers to Mami, spooky answers also to daddy, garfield will only answer to his given name as he is Ice's son, and I have always had him (he is orange like garfield) and Angel also answers to foo foo. Greya is the one who stays pregnant, and she is a blue russian, so we named her greya cause of her color.
Unread 09-29-2007, 01:57 PM

I have enjoyed hearing the babies names and sharing in the stories both happy and sad. Three years ago we had to put our 14yo sheltie, Cassie (AKC name Countess Cassandra of Colchester) down. She was failing rapidly, no sight or hearing. It was one of the hardest things DH & I had ever done. Watching our 24yo DS crying as he said goodbye... I start to cry thinking about it. A year ago our 17yr old snowshoe (a cross between a siamese & american shorthair),Kinita, crossed after lapsing into a coma on my lap. She had been losing ground and old age caught up with her. She left this world in her spot on her blanket. After Kinita left us DH & I decided to not get any fur babies and see how it went. Well..... last Thanksgiving we saw an ad for the humane society with pictures. Needless to say a beautiful bonded pair of 8yr siamese adopted us. Our little girl is Sake and she is the alpha cat. She will allow you to let her sit in your lap but on her terms. Our boy is Thai, or as I call him My Thai. He is my shadow, flops on my tummy or chest as soon as I sit down and pets me if I don't pet him. They have brought so much joy into our lives. We miss Cassie & Kinita so much but feel we honor them by giving Sake & Thai a good home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register