Author recommendations? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Author recommendations? Author recommendations?

Unread 01-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Author recommendations?

elizabeth george...best to read in order for character development (several of her books made into t.v. movies on bbc or pbs "the inspector lynley mysteries"; tess gerritson; jane urquhart, carol shields, alistair macleod, rohinton mistry (last 4 canadian authors).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Author recommendations?

Philippa Gregory is great for historical fiction. The Other Bolyn Girl has been made into a move starring Scarlet Johansen and Natalie Portman. If your into Tudor- / Stuart-era history, you'll enjoy her work.
Unread 01-31-2008, 03:53 AM
Author recommendations?

Speaking of historicals, I'm currently into Joseph O'Connor's Redemption Falls. It's set some 18 years after the end of Star of the Sea and I think those who enjoyed that will like it. It's powerfully written and harrowing in places, especially the descriptions of the American Civil War and its aftermath, so you really need to be in the mood. Also, it's not out in paperback till May - at least in the UK. When I had a big vertical incision to look after, I avoided heavy books because I didn't want anything I might be tempted to perch on my belly. However, if that's not a problem, this book will reward the effort you put into it. It's beautifully written, the characters are sympathetic and I like the way it's put together - the narrative is in the form of statements, letters, transcribed oral accounts, diary entries and newspaper cuttings, so you get many different points of view. Up to now at least, it's a real-page turner and hard to put down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Author recommendations?

Some of my favorites....Patricia Cornwell - Alice Hoffman - Anne Tyler - Robert Parker - Dean Koontz - Rohinton Mistry - Elinor Lipman - Susan Isaacs - Anna Maxted - I know I am forgetting plenty....I really like to read!!
Unread 02-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Author recommendations?

I just finished reading 'Oceans Apart' By Karen Kingsbury.
It was really Good! "A Forgotten secret,
a shocking discovery.
A sacrifice of love that will bring Conner Evans to his knee's."
I got "Like Dandelion Dust" by Karen KIngsbury today
and also "12 Sharp "by Janet Evanovich
I'll let yall know they are when I read them!
Have a great night ladies!
Unread 02-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Author recommendations?

I re-read Ian McEwan's wonderful novella, On Chesil Beach this week and can't recommend it enough. If you are interested in England, just before the Lady Chatterley trial, you'll love it. If you remember the period, my guess is you'll love it even more.

I'm now three-quarters of the way through Jonathan Kellerman's latest Alex Delaware novel Obsession. I'm not sure how this one would go down with those who don't already love Alex and Milo, but if you do, and you also enjoy Kellerman's descriptions of LA, it'll be your cup of tea.

I also have Vikram Seth's mighty tome, A Suitable Boy on the go (what a fabulous book - I'll be sorry to finish it) and I've started Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible. So far, I'm impressed - big stories about people who are displaced from their usual environment really work for me and her powers of description take some beating.
Unread 03-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Thumbs up - Author recommendations? Author recommendations?

Ok did not see anyone put my fave on here has anyone else read Jodi Picoult?? start out with The Pact and you will be hooked!!
Unread 03-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Author recommendations?

Definately Janet Evanovich and her Stephanie Plum series. Make sure you read the numbered ones in order. There are currently 13 of them. They are by far the best books out there. I've been known to read 2 or 3 of her books in one weekend! Your local library should have the entire series.
Unread 03-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Author recommendations?

yes, the stephanie plum series is fun reading. i loved "the poisonwood bible" and my next book will be "my sister's keeper" by jodi picoult. currently reading "the historian" by elizabeth kostova. darlington: my goal is to read "a suitable boy"...have been wanting to for years but never got around to it. is it anything like "a fine balance" by rohinton mistry (loved it)? 2 beautifully written books by canadian authors are "no great mischief" by alistair macleod and "mercy among the children" by david adams richards.
Unread 03-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Author recommendations?

Anything by James Patterson (check his website for Alex Cross, Women's Murder Club and Maximum Ride and he's developing a new one - Michael Bennett - read them in order because he develops the characters across several books.)

Jonathan Kellerman (check the web for Alex Delaware and Petra Conner - characters develop across several books)

David Baldacci

John Sandford (the Prey Series)

Michael Connelly (the Harry Bosch series)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register