Author recommendations? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Author recommendations? Author recommendations?

Unread 03-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Author recommendations?

On the fantasy side, Terry Pratchett (I don't recommend starting with the first ones, try Wyrd sisters or Guards Guards)---hysterically funny... I love em, my DH likes them, my 16 yo likes them, my 10 yo won't stop reading them...
Or Diana Wynne Jones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Thumbs up - Author recommendations? Author recommendations?

I love, love, love J.D. Robb's (aka: Nora Roberts) In Death Series. You'll want to read the books in order, as it is the same characters throughout the series. I believe the series consists of over 20 books now. Check the J.D. Robb website to get the order in which the books were written.

I also enjoy Jonathan Kellerman (psychological thrillers) and his wife, Faye Kellerman.

I'm currently listening to (iPod audiobooks) "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet, and reading "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle.

Happy reading,
Unread 03-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Recommend a book for your fellow post op ladies

Recommend a book! Help us stay relaxed and use our time well!!

I recommend anything by Harlan Conen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Author recommendations?

Any books by John Lescroat and Sue Grafton
Unread 03-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Author recommendations?

Nora Roberts
Lindsay Sands
Ken Follet
I could just go on and on! I love to read!
Unread 03-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Author recommendations?

I like Lindsey Davis's Falco series. For those who don't know her, Lindsey Davis sets her murder mysteries in ancient Rome. Her PI, Marcus Didius Falco is a bit of a lad about town, always in some sort of scrape. In One Virgin Too Many which I finished tonight, he has a very amusing encounter with a naughty Vestal. However, the series isn't just one long romp. There's a strong emotional and ethical content as well. Falco has a complex family and personal life and his desire to do the right thing causes him a certain amount of pain - physical and otherwise.

I've now moved onto a historical novel by Helen Dunmore. It's called Zennor in Darkness and it's set on the Cornish coast during the First World War. I've read some of her others and enjoyed them; The Siege is excellent and I also liked House of Orphans and Counting the Stars.
Unread 03-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Author recommendations?

I have found that I tend to like authors who don't write fluff, but something with a greater message. I think that so far in my life the book that has affected me and I have felt the most profound about is the Poisonwood Bible.

I have many authors that I enjoy and tend to gravitate towards. Elizabeth Berg has some very thought-provoking books with a deep message in each book. I prefer to have something to carry with me afterwards than the romance novels and fluff mysteries with zero content.

Once in a while I find a book that humors me and content doesn't matter as much, but I would love to hear of authors that would fit my reading style.

Do share! I have one last night to shop for books!
Unread 03-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Author recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezinerDiva
I have found that I tend to like authors who don't write fluff, but something with a greater message. I think that so far in my life the book that has affected me and I have felt the most profound about is the Poisonwood Bible.

I have many authors that I enjoy and tend to gravitate towards. Elizabeth Berg has some very thought-provoking books with a deep message in each book. I prefer to have something to carry with me afterwards than the romance novels and fluff mysteries with zero content.

Once in a while I find a book that humors me and content doesn't matter as much, but I would love to hear of authors that would fit my reading style.

Do share! I have one last night to shop for books!
dear lisa...i loved the poisonwood bible also and i agree with you about reading books with deeper messages. i can recommend 3 books to you, which are my favourites from the last decade: "no great mischief" by allistair macleod", "a fine balance", by rohinton mistry and "mercy among the children" by david adams richards. i loved all 3.

happy reading! :balanc:
colleen.

p.s. i just noticed you're having a hysterectomy on tuesday. best wishes to you for a successfull surgery and a complete recovery. take care and don't overdo it.
Unread 04-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Author recommendations?

If you are looking for a quick escape....

Light Mystery series -

Donna Andrews - each book has a 'bird' theme

Laura Childs - the Tea Shop series

Susan Witig- Albert - the 'herb' books

Happy reading and recovering.

Kayakdreamer
TAH - Dec. 10 2007
Unread 04-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Author recommendations?

The best book I read recently was Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. It was a well written book, not fluff, but easy to read in small bits when you are still a bit foggy brained.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register