What to do with dogs during recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to do with dogs during recovery What to do with dogs during recovery

Unread 06-19-2013, 01:31 PM
What to do with dogs during recovery

I've been reading about having little rambunctious fur babies jumping on recovering mommies, and seems like it's a good idea to send them off to my parents' houses for a couple of weeks so they don't accidentally hurt me. I have two little pugs, and they are super affectionate, especially my little girl who can't stand not being on my lap at all times.

I feel a little sad about sending them away because they make me so happy, and my little girl dog has been a part of my journey since last year. I actually found her on a pet rescue site while I was lying in the hospital, getting a blood transfusion for my excessive hemorrhaging. When I came home from the hospital, she was a great source of comfort for me as I was depressed about how awful I'd been feeling for years. I even call her my "Tiny Hyster Sister," since she also has no uterus.

Anyway, has anyone else had to send their little furballs elsewhere while they were recovering? Just curious.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2013, 11:00 PM
Re: What to do with dogs during recovery

I've been wondering the same thing. My surgery is in the morning and my little guy is a mamas boy all the way and has to be by my side at all times. Then there's my cat who has to lay on me. This is gunna be ruff, haha, cuz I know they dont understand.
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:13 PM

I have 2 small chihuahuas...who sleep with me, lay with me, play with me...even sit next to the tub while i shower waiting lol. I didnt send them off but we did have to lock them out of my room & keep them outside more often than usual. Even the lil 6 pound loveable babies they are...jumping on you will not be comforting AT ALL! As the weeks went by in my recovery I started letting them SIT next to. I gently held my hand or arm up when they got too close or too excited. They understood. I didnt act playful or excited around them so they laid low for a bit while i healed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2013, 12:53 PM

Our pups sleep with us, so they would not be okay with being kicked out of the room. We spoiled them! They'd whine I'm sure, which would be okay if we lived in a single family home, but we live in a duplex above a woman who gets mad when we get up and get a drink of water at night. It just stinks! I wish my little pups could be with me during this time, but it's for the best I know. I'm going to miss their little faces! And when I am sick or injured, they always seem to "know," so they get extra snuggly and close and I just can't allow that right now as I will be in too much pain.
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:45 PM

I recommend having a pillow over your stomach when there on the bed or around you this way they can give you kisses and not hurt you. Most animals especially dogs know when there owner is hurt and you'll notice they treat you more gentle then normal. I have two dogs and couldn't imagine shooing them away, they helped me through each recovery,
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:04 PM

I have a couple mini doxies who slept with me every night. I was really worried they would hurt me after surgery, but when I got home, it was like they knew I was not well. They laid beside me and worried over me. I had no problems until nearly 3 weeks out one fell off the back of the sofa onto my abdomen. Fortunately, it didn't cause any problems, but it surely didn't feel good. Sometimes animals have a good sense about when their humans aren't well. Hope you find a solution.
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:29 AM

I understand completely! My dog Oso is my only baby. I didnt want him to have to stay in a kennel w strangers. I considered hiring a dog walker, or a "pet mommie" while i was recovering. I live in an apt, so i have to walk him several times a day so he can go to the bathroom. Fortunately, my mom was able ti stay w me for a couple of days to help me and take care of him (bless her). Oddly enough, he never once jumped on me. He is a very cuddly lap dog. I simply showed him my belly when i got home from hospital. He sniffed it, knew i was hurt, and he has been very good during my recovery. I wish u the very best, and hope your friends or family can help u with your doggies! U will heal so much faster with them keeping u company.
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed&loved View Post
I have 2 small chihuahuas...who sleep with me, lay with me, play with me...even sit next to the tub while i shower waiting lol. I didnt send them off but we did have to lock them out of my room & keep them outside more often than usual. Even the lil 6 pound loveable babies they are...jumping on you will not be comforting AT ALL! As the weeks went by in my recovery I started letting them SIT next to. I gently held my hand or arm up when they got too close or too excited. They understood. I didnt act playful or excited around them so they laid low for a bit while i healed.
My furry baby has been so well behaved throughput my recovery. A helpful hint--i came home from the hospital w a surgical binder. Basically, it is a wrap that wraps around my belly and velcros shut. It stabilizes the stomach muscles. It's been a life saver for me. The one time my dog did jump on my belly, it hurt a little, but my binder really saved me. He kinda bounced right off :-)
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:27 PM

My chihuahua slept right on my belly since the day I came home from the hospital. He seemed to know that he had to be gentle and there was only once that he was "stomping on me"...I fussed at him and he didn't do it again. There is NO WAY I would have sent him away.
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:30 AM

I'm so glad this has been posted as not sure yet when my husband will have to go back to work after my op or if he'll make it home in time as he works away, so at the moment my furry baby will stay with her minder while I'm in hospital but then can she come home straight away?
When can I walk her? (she pulls quite a bit, especially after cars & bikes).
Can't bear to be without her even though she's very good & loves staying at the minders. X

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register