Any other horseowners? - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any other horseowners? Any other horseowners?

Unread 12-07-2013, 03:41 AM
Re: Any other horseowners?

Hi ladies,

Had a subcervical hysterectomy and sacralcolpopexy 6 weeks ago (that's uterus removed but cerivx and ovaries, tubes kept. Mesh to fix prolapse).

So what transpired for those of you who went back to riding? I sent my mare to a trainer in another State while preparing for and recovering from all this. Won't be able to get down to see her until 3 1/2 mos. post-op. Which is hard and sad, BUT I think it is good, because I have heard too many horror stories of women having to have repeat prolapse surgery because they did too much, too soon.

I was planning on taking it slow - just working on things at the walk this time around.
My Western saddle is also too heavy, so I plan on selling it and will ship my dressage saddle for her, instead. I figure that barn work will forever have to be divided up into many trips of MUCH smaller weight loads. So will take MUCH more time. And my mare is young and can be reactive - so I know that I risk something there :-(

She is not gaited and I really don't want to trade her in for one that is. However, if life goes to plan, I MAY be able to concentrate on using her as my driving horse (she is a Morgan and likes to drive) and get a second, more seasoned and brave gaited horse for trails. Have you guys gotten any more info. on continuing to ride a non-gaited horse?

Would love to hear how it has gone for you and any words of wisdom, especially if you also dealt with prolapse. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Any other horseowners?

Buy a barrel saddle with no tree. Mine weighs like 17 pounds with all cinchs n breast collar . After 3 n a half months you should be fine walking, jogging and loping . Before my hyster I broke my neck in marcg barrel racing . Riding is zero issue and you will be just fine I promise . You dont need a gaited horse and if your horse is noy a bronc you should be fine . You mentioned reactive ? I ride reiners and cutters as well so reactive is a plus . I never want to be on a hard mouth , dead sided horse . Keep your head up im like 9 weeks n i lift hay bales and grain bags . Ride on ! How do they say keep a leg on each side and your mind in the middle
  Quote:
Originally Posted by POPblues View Post
Hi ladies,

Had a subcervical hysterectomy and sacralcolpopexy 6 weeks ago (that's uterus removed but cerivx and ovaries, tubes kept. Mesh to fix prolapse).

So what transpired for those of you who went back to riding? I sent my mare to a trainer in another State while preparing for and recovering from all this. Won't be able to get down to see her until 3 1/2 mos. post-op. Which is hard and sad, BUT I think it is good, because I have heard too many horror stories of women having to have repeat prolapse surgery because they did too much, too soon.

I was planning on taking it slow - just working on things at the walk this time around.
My Western saddle is also too heavy, so I plan on selling it and will ship my dressage saddle for her, instead. I figure that barn work will forever have to be divided up into many trips of MUCH smaller weight loads. So will take MUCH more time. And my mare is young and can be reactive - so I know that I risk something there :-(

She is not gaited and I really don't want to trade her in for one that is. However, if life goes to plan, I MAY be able to concentrate on using her as my driving horse (she is a Morgan and likes to drive) and get a second, more seasoned and brave gaited horse for trails. Have you guys gotten any more info. on continuing to ride a non-gaited horse?

Would love to hear how it has gone for you and any words of wisdom, especially if you also dealt with prolapse. Thank you!
Unread 12-07-2013, 02:51 PM

Thank you - I've been looking at other Western saddle options - all the "lightweight" leather saddles are 27 lbs. Still too much. Problem is, I need an Arab tree and THAT is hard to find in the less-than-20-pound category. But I'll check out the one you mentioned.

It sounds like you had a hysterectomy but no prolapse - and perhaps are quite young, as well. I am getting the impression that those of us who had the hysterectomy for prolapse have a different situation. We are not supposed to lift anything heavier than 20 lbs. for the rest of our lives - granted sometimes we will have to, but then we have to take added precautions (like wearing a pessary, pulling in our abs., or doing a kegel if one is so talented!).

But for you guys that did NOT have prolapse - did anyone mention to you the possibility of vaginal vault prolapse after a hysterectomy? I don't know for certain, BUT you may want to ask your doc. about the possibility with all the heavy work you continue to do. It requires surgery to correct. I have a hunch it is not mentioned much - just like ALL prolapse seems to be the world's best kept secret :-(

But sounds like you are having a blast - especially after such a serious riding-related injury. Good for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Any other horseowners?

My saddle is made by Debra Sibley its awesome I wouldnt take a million bucks for it and it will fit an arabian promise

QUOTE=POPblues;4252078]Thank you - I've been looking at other Western saddle options - all the "lightweight" leather saddles are 27 lbs. Still too much. Problem is, I need an Arab tree and THAT is hard to find in the less-than-20-pound category. But I'll check out the one you mentioned.

It sounds like you had a hysterectomy but no prolapse - and perhaps are quite young, as well. I am getting the impression that those of us who had the hysterectomy for prolapse have a different situation. We are not supposed to lift anything heavier than 20 lbs. for the rest of our lives - granted sometimes we will have to, but then we have to take added precautions (like wearing a pessary, pulling in our abs., or doing a kegel if one is so talented!).

But for you guys that did NOT have prolapse - did anyone mention to you the possibility of vaginal vault prolapse after a hysterectomy? I don't know for certain, BUT you may want to ask your doc. about the possibility with all the heavy work you continue to do. It requires surgery to correct. I have a hunch it is not mentioned much - just like ALL prolapse seems to be the world's best kept secret :-(

But sounds like you are having a blast - especially after such a serious riding-related injury. Good for you![/quote]
Unread 12-08-2013, 02:21 PM

Will definitely look into the saddle. I guess you haven't found that it puts too much pressure on one spot of the horse's back, and does not distribute the rider's weight? That is the only possible negative I have heard about treeless saddles. Thanks!
Unread 01-18-2014, 07:15 PM

I have a 20 year old Quarter Horse named Sonny that I use for pleasure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register