Anyone try pet armor for fleas? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone try pet armor for fleas? Anyone try pet armor for fleas?

Unread 06-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Anyone try pet armor for fleas?

I have two dogs and a cat inside. I had been using frontline plus for fleas and tick but was thinking about trying pet armor from walmart. Anyone try this yet? If so is it any good? I need to treat mine again. Im begining to see a few fleas on them so I wanted to get something for them soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Anyone try pet armor for fleas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azyria View Post
I have two dogs and a cat inside. I had been using frontline plus for fleas and tick but was thinking about trying pet armor from walmart. Anyone try this yet? If so is it any good? I need to treat mine again. Im begining to see a few fleas on them so I wanted to get something for them soon.
I used it last year and it was great.....tried it again this year and it didnt work at all. I have two big dogs and a cat. The fleas are so incredibly horrible this year the only one that worked for us was the high-dollar Advantix.
Unread 07-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Re: Anyone try pet armor for fleas?

I work for a vet and the BEST product we recommend for existing fleas is Frontline Plus, along with CapStar and a house spray called Knockout.

Make sure you buy only from your vet - biggest reason is that if you use Frontline Plus on ALL PETS (documented proof of purchase) for at least 3 months and you still have a flea problem, Merial (Manufacturer) will pay for Terminix to come to the house - but you have to have proof of purchase from a vet.

I don't trust 'generic' preventatives - not to mention the number of chemical burns we've seen this year from 'generics' - especially Adams, Hartz, and Sargents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2012, 08:15 PM

Never tried Pet Armor. Learned my lesson years ago about flea/tick med from a store. My cat was shaking and had double vision. Scared me to death. I hurriedly gave her a bath. I held her all night feeding water with eyedropper to help metabolize. It was the worst night. She was shaking all night. Whew!! That brought back bad memories. I didn't have a flea problem for years, then a couple of years ago my house and cats became infested. I literally could see them jumping everywhere. Vet gave me Revolution. Within a day or two dead fleas all over the place. 3mths later not a flea insight anywhere. I've never had to use it again. So big believer in Revolution.
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:27 AM

Our cats have always been indoor cats, but quite a few years ago they had a flea issue. Our vet gave us something that kills the eggs. It didn't just kill the fleas, instead stopped the cycle. I think it was called PreCor or something like that. We never had an issue again.
Unread 08-04-2012, 01:41 AM

Hi . This is the first time in over 13 yrs as a parent to furry children that I have dealt with fleas. My cats are completely indoor cats. About 6 wks ago we took in a stray who showed up on our patio- she was pregnant (and being post-op from my DvH I felt like there was a reason she came to ME). Brought her to the vet & was told no fleas or worms- yay! Well, 11 days later she had her kittens. Had complications the next day, so Mama & kittens were brought in for a check. At THIS point a few fleas were found on her & the kittens. They told me to use Advantage since they had personal experience using it on a lactating kitty. That was the end of June. I was feeling pretty good- that we were done with the beasts. Nope. Tues this week Mama cat vomited- she now was diagnosed with roundworms (I guess they can come from fleas) & we found a few fleas. Now all adult cats got Revolution- takes care of fleas AND worms! Mama cat will get a pill in 2wks to ensure the worms are gone. I plan on repeating the Revolution next month to be on the safe side, as long as it's ok w the vet. Kinda wish I cud've started w it, but I guess w the kittens nursing it wasnt an option.
in your decision making & even more so for ridding your furry friends of tbe nasty fleas.
:cathugs:
Unread 08-04-2012, 06:00 AM

It can take up to three MONTHS to get rid of fleas - you have to treat home and pets for at least that long as one application will take care of live fleas on pets but not the other stage of the flea life cycle - eggs/pupae that are 'hiding' in the carpeting etc.

Minimum of three months - I usually recommend 4-6 just to be safe - of using a veterinary recommended flea product (Revolution for cats, Frontline Plus or Vectra 3D for dogs).

Revolution is safe to use in nursing and pregnant cats. For kittens under 7 weeks of age, bathe with Dawn dishwashing liquid and rinse well. This will remove any fleas from the kitten. Make sure all kittens are kept warm after bathing.
Unread 08-04-2012, 01:47 PM

resqrott1! Thank you SOOO MUCH for the info. I always seem to end up with a vet telling me incorrect info. This time I was told that a 1 month application of flea treatment would take care of things, & that Mama cat "would take care of the few fleas on her babies". I was never told ANYTHING about how to help keep it from happening again-ie measures to take in our home. I've been vaccuming & washing towels from the nest box a lot. The kittens dont hang out in the nest box any more- I guess they are "too cool to hang out at home" now that they are older. Lol. Is there something else I should be doing at home? I bet the kittens would do well with a bath. They have been amazingly adaptable to myself & my 6yo dd- even curling up near my chin to have a nap, and napping in dd's doll stroller after they were given a ride .
Thank you soooo much for taking the time to reply to this thread. I'm sure you have helped many of our Sisters with this.
to you as you go through your journey & recovery.

PS: I saw there are places online that are less expensive for Revolution. How do I go about talking our vet into letting me get those instead of getting only 3 for the price from her that I can get 6 for online? Is Frontline Plus an OTC remedy?
Unread 08-04-2012, 03:36 PM

Frontline Plus is not prescription - can buy pretty much anywhere, BUT the manufacturers will not honor their own guarantees. Frontline Plus, however, does not protect against heartworm disease, or from Talk to your vet about the online pricing and ask if they will match it - MOST will as they'd rather have your money than have you spend it elsewhere.

Revolution kills adult fleas and prevents flea eggs from hatching for one month...but there will always be 'some' adults and eggs that 'slip through' and those are the ones you need to get with month two and three applications.

Also, MOST vets offer free doses, which online sources do not - right now, the vet I work for has buy 6 get two, or buy 9 get 3 free doses for Revolution, and buy 6 get 2 free for Frontline Plus - those are both offered through the MANUFACTURERS - not our own office promotions.

Also ask about home sprays - we sell Knockout E.S. Area Spray - works GREAT and one application can prevent fleas for up to 7 months - plus one 16 ounce can treats about 2000 square feet...

Fleas are no fun...and they can be dangerous for people as well as pets.
Unread 08-06-2012, 06:49 PM

I have 6 cats and 2 dogs of my own and foster all the time. I buy the largest dog size of Frontline that you can buy and split it up between the group. Saves me lots of money and vet says it is fine, same formula just different doses. I am NOT a vet and I would recommend you talk to your vet to get the doses correct, but that would save you lots of money and still be able to use a brand name product.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register