Going back to school in your 30's.... - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to school in your 30's.... Going back to school in your 30's....

Unread 10-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Going back to school in your 30's....

Denise,
I am taking Psychology this semester. It is very hard as this class is all new info for me, but I think I am really enjoying it. Parts of it are boring, but there is alot of interesting stuff in the book. Than again, they get alot of stuff wrong also, like when they say...ahem...women who have a hysterectomy notice no change... and women who go thru menopause do not have a drop in their libido...

I am doing well so far; first test I got a 95, second a 96 and I received a 96 on my first homework assignment. I have already turned in my extra credit assignment, teacher said it looked good but he won't grade it until later in the semester.

After this class I am down to 2 English classes and I will be done! I am hoping, fingers and toes crossed, that by this time next year I will be preparing to walk across the stage in my cap and gown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2003, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the updates Kim and Denise. I was so excited to see that there were some posts on this thread today.

I am taking Chemistry and speech this term. Chemistry is going great so far. We have had 3 homework assignments and 1 test and my lowest score was a 90% and my highest was 99.5%. I got a 95% on the test. I have 1 more term of chemistry after this and then I will go into anatomy and physiology for 3 terms. I will then have all my pre-req's out of the way and will find out if I'm in the nursing program. I will then have a few more classes to take before my second year in the program.

Speech is going well too. It's interpersonal communication and I find it very interesting. It is already helping me with the way I communicate with people! I am surprised at how much there really is to learn about communication!

Keep the updates coming! It will be fun to be here to see everyone reach their goals!
Unread 10-21-2003, 11:16 AM

Hey, (((Kim))), congrats! : I hadn't realized that you were so close!

(((Pasdechat))): I was hoping that your recent surgery hadn't made you lose a semester. Enjoy A & P! I'd bet it improves your understanding of the mechanics of dance, too. I've got two books that I love, and refer to constantly: they're both coloring books and I have one for anatomy and the other for physiology. I found them extremely helpful...something about engaging the right brain as I colored helps to get the material through to my dense left brain. Since I'm in many ways a kinesthetic and visual learner, I got more out of those books than I ever did out of lectures. And dissection can be interesting, although I have some real animal rights concerns and haven't participated in it (but I do dissect chickens for dinner...I could tell you all about chicken cardiac anatomy ).

(((Denise))): I can't believe that you're working 80% and still making it through those two particular classes! WOW!!. I only really work 50% (if you don't count my time around here, lol) and am having trouble with one class...and it's sure not organic chem!

I'm taking an essay class this quarter -- it's a bit too much "deconstruction" and identification of metaphors, etc. for me (I'm just not big on literary analysis -- if the writing is good, there's a magic that deconstruction destroys). But it's a lot of writing. This week's assignment is to take a memory and write 5 pages about it using a "snapshot" type of construction. I'm doing the 1971 earthquake here in Los Angeles, but my life is so busy right now (and I'm feeling so crappy) that it's really hard to write...and it's due tomorrow evening.

I have a hard time keeping up the physical energy for these classes, although this one is only 10 minutes from home (although it's still the UCLA program, it's on another campus nearby). Next quarter, I'm thinking of trying the on-line option: it's more expensive, but more flexible in terms of time frame...so if I (or my DD) have a bad week, there's some leeway.

Hugs to all of us -- and awesome seeing all your scores!!!

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2003, 11:58 AM

Kim, Pasdechat, Audrey,

It's great to hear from you. And great to know you're still hanging in there, even when life throws those curveballs at you.

I felt very smug about going to school and working nearly full-time (even though I don't have kids). Then I discovered that a young woman I occasionally study with is working 30 hours a week (waitressing), taking the two classes I'm taking, PLUS Psychology and advanced-level Spanish.

Oh.

I guess I'll suck it up, then, and whip out those flash cards and plug along.

We'll all make it, ladies. I know we will!
Unread 11-14-2003, 09:39 PM

Guess what????

With only 3 weeks left of fall term, I am getting an A in chemistry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe that I am getting an A in chemistry!!!!! Now, I just have to hold onto that A......2 more tests to go, anything could happen!!!!

Just had to share!
Unread 11-15-2003, 12:01 AM

Very, very . Astonishing, considering the year you've had!!!

Congratulations!

Audrey
Unread 11-15-2003, 12:23 AM

You go, girl! It appears so far that I'm getting one, too. I have a study group meeting this weekend--you have to stay on top of chemistry, and it can get away from you so fast. I find a study group keeps me trudging along.

Did you ever think you'd enjoy chemistry? It's wild, isn't it?
Unread 11-15-2003, 07:40 AM

Wow, I'm impressed!!
My DD teaches chemistry and physics in high school (her first year ) so I know how hard it is. I'm glad that I'm not having to learn all that right now.

You've done a great job - Way to go !!!

Unread 11-15-2003, 03:58 PM

Pasdechat, that is great! Woohoo! Congrats Denise!

So far I am doing very well in Psyche. I have been pleasantly surprised at how much I have learned and how much I like this teacher. This is the first internet class I have taken where the teacher has actually taken an interest and is making sure that we are learning. I have attended all his pre test reviews and I really like his style of teaching.

I have a 96 average with one homework assignment left to grade and two tests to take. One test is just a regular test and the other is the final. The final is going to be a closed book on campus test so I am going to be sweating that one. The teacher said that he will be posting a special study guide for it but he won't post it until after the last test.

Next semester will be English 1301 Composition. Than one English 1302 and I will be walking across that stage in my cap and gown.

I am so proud of all my sisters! It really takes alot to continue your studies. Once we set our minds to it we can do it! I really think that I am getting much more out of school now than if I would've done this when I was 20.
Unread 12-09-2003, 04:16 PM

Friends,
I just took my final on Friday so as the semester draws to a close I was wondering how everyone did this semester and what you have planned for next semester. I have to take English1301 and I have already enrolled so there's no turning back now!

I should have my final grade by this Thursday and the FINAL, FINAL grade by early next week. If I did well on the Final exam though I really don't have to worry about the FINAL grade.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register