Any runners out there? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any runners out there? Any runners out there?

Unread 10-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Any runners out there?

Hi,

I am 46 yrs old and scheduled for a TVH on Nov 6th. I am a runner and I admit to being addicted! Better running though than drugs & alcohol - lol.

I'm so concerned about running after my surgery? Does anyone have expereince with this? When did you get back at it? How did you go about it? Now that I'm older it is SO hard to recover from any breaks I take. Especially endurance.

Thanks,

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Any runners out there?

I'm not much of a runner...but I was doing some running alternating with walking on the treadmill...I was building up. It was more interval training I guess...1 minute run 2 minute walk about 12-15 cycles.

I have walked since the H, but probably started back on the treadmill (vs just normal walking) about week 3. I have lightly jogged about week 5 but not much as I do feel a bit of the drag after sya 30 second or so. I have recovered quite quickly so I dont know if this is more or less the last to heal. I have done some abdominals in week 4 and they were not a problem.

It is now just after 6 weeks and I will try to run/walk more. I was up to 6.2mph/4.0 and I may have to start at 5.0/3.8 or so and build back up.

Hope this helps
Unread 10-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Any runners out there?

i didnt have a tvh, i had an lsh and was given the okay to start running again at 2 weeks. i would think with a tvh you'd have to wait at least 4 weeks but probably closer to 6-8. everyone recovers so differently, its something you just cant predict.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Any runners out there?

Hi Starbgirl-

I am a runner and a bit older than you (52 yo). Prior to my surgery I ran 4 miles 3-4x/week. I had a TLH on 8/21 and just ran 2 miles today!

I was given the OK to run at 4 weeks, but didn't because I still had some vaginal discharge and wanted to wait until it had stopped. I began running at 6 weeks very slowly. At first I worked up to walking 4 miles- the full distance I ran. Then I ran 1/4 mile and walked the rest of the 4 miles. Each time I ran, I increased the distance of the run by 1/4 mile as long as I felt OK with the previous run. It sounds slow, but "slow and steady wins the race!" You really do not want to push this too fast. You want to give yourself time to heal inside (even if you feel OK).

The initial runs were difficult, but I am finding that the endurance is no longer a problem.

I hope this helps you!
Unread 10-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Any runners out there?

Thank you so much!!! That is my exact milegae also!! I run 3-5 5X a week! I so agree with taking it slow. I have had some injuries and it's always worse if you start back too quickly. My Dr said I could probably run at 4 weeks depending on how I was doing, but he's a MAN and he didn't just get his guts removed - lol. I wanted to talk to someone who has been there done that!!

Cheers, Starbgirl
Unread 10-22-2007, 06:34 AM
Any runners out there?

Starbgirl,

After your hyster, I would suggest walking (not on a treadmill). Increase the time a little each day. You may want to go out twice a day if you feel up to it. I would suggest not going on a treadmill until about 4 weeks. At that point, just walk on the treadmill (no running or jogging). You will be tempted to run, but don't! You will notice that walking a treadmill is not the same as walking the streets!. About 2 weeks later start running 1/4 mile increasing 1/4 mile each time. I would also suggest taking a day off inbetween each run. I think your body needs the rest even though you may feel otherwise. Do not push this! You really want things to heal properly. We are now prone to pelvic organ prolapse - and the repair for that is worse that a hyster. So....and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Let me know if I can answer any other quesions for you!
Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register