Court right after surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Court right after surgery Court right after surgery

Unread 07-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Re: Court right after surgery

amazingly enough its not my brain that needs surgery. I cant afford an attorney and there is no pro bono over here. But thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi501 View Post
Contact a social worker at the hospital. They can put you in touch with a durable medical equipment (DME) company that deals with wheelchairs if you can't find one in your area through a web search. I would also let the bailiff or court officer know you had surgery recently and they should be able to make accommodations for you, like letting you sit the entire time. Taking a letter from your doctor about your condition and how the surgery will help your anemia and your overall health might help also. Good luck!
This i thought was great advice. thank you. i have pre op today so I'll ask then as well. Thanks so much people!!
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:20 AM

Going to court is as much about appearance and emotion as it is about the presentation of the facts. I'd suggest milking that wheelchair for all it's worth. Present yourself as someone who's strong enough and determined enough that you're willing and able to come into court a week after having major abdominal surgery in order to fight to get your son back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
Going to court is as much about appearance and emotion as it is about the presentation of the facts. I'd suggest milking that wheelchair for all it's worth. Present yourself as someone who's strong enough and determined enough that you're willing and able to come into court a week after having major abdominal surgery in order to fight to get your son back.
That was the plan......anything for son. I just cant take pain meds that day so that will suck
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriekay View Post
That was the plan......anything for son. I just cant take pain meds that day so that will suck
You can't take *narcotic* pain meds that day. You can still take OTCs like ibuprofen (Advil) and acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol).

I had a TAH/BSO and only had narcotic pain meds for the three days I was in the hospital. I lost the epidural catheter that was delivering them at 8 AM on the third day and was relased that afternoon with instructions to take ibuprofen and/or acetaminophen as needed. I took them pretty regular for the first week, occasionally during the second week.

So a week after surgery, it's entirely possible that you won't be on narcotic pain meds anymore.
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:57 AM

well actually today i just received my papers back. I didnt pay them enough. grrr. i have to resend them. I will next week. I cant take nsaids....three ulcers.....but great advice. i do thank you. I think my biggest worry know is the morphine. morphine doesnt really affect me at all.
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:07 AM

How are you on other opioids? I was on Dilaudid (hydromorphone) while I was in the hospital. A lot of people are given codeine or compounds containing codeine.
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriekay View Post
amazingly enough its not my brain that needs surgery.
No, but unfortunately it can take awhile for all the meds and anesthesia used during surgery to leave your system. Thus, you may not be able to think or present your case clearly one week after surgery, even if you avoid narcotics the day of court. Any weakness on your part could be exploited by your ex and his attorney. They could use it to prove you are incapacitated which could hamper your ability to regain custody of your toddler son.

Unread 07-16-2013, 11:10 PM

Unfortunately the effects of anesthesia can also linger after surgery ad make it harder to think and reason. After one of my surgeries I couldn't read or write for 3 days. Everything looked like it was written in Russian. I think it's the height of cruelty to make you come to court this soon Post Op. How can you reasonably defend yourself well under these circumstances? I wouldn't count on the wheelchair as a plea for pity. It could back fire with the wrong Judge and appear an obvious move. I still hope they give you an extention. This is awful for you, poor dear.
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:22 AM

I totally feel for you.... Stress is not what you should be dealing with so soon before or after major surgery. Buy the pocket binder and freezer packs too (get extras) and use it all the time. It will help you keep 'together' around your tummy so that coughing, talking and stress will be better managed as it will support the area. It will help keep your swelling down and the ice packs double up as Aircon to keep you focused too. The binder, although seems expensive is worth every penny and it will help you feel in control too. I only took paracetomal and an anti inflammatory tablet 40hrs post op for the first 10 days, now nothing at all (still aches though). So you might be ok and not have to worry about meds - but the binder though now as you'll need to allow for delivery (look for voucher/coupons too as I saved something like 20%). Wishing you the very best of luck! X

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register