Upcoming hysterectomy 6/8: Decision to keep cervix and tubes - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 6/8: Decision to keep cervix and tubes Upcoming hysterectomy 6/8: Decision to keep cervix and tubes

Unread 06-07-2018, 02:13 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 6/8: Decision to keep cervix and tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJJ View Post
Hi... making this decision was excruciating for me and I got 6 opinions. I dealt with 5 years of heavy periods and fibroids ... kept waiting for menopause to calm everything down and had a bear of perimenopause. I held onto my uterus as long as I could. But it became painful and was absolutely draining me. I was anemic, large fibroids, enlarged uterus and repeated blood tests showed me to be in menopause, however uterus was still bleeding off and on at age 55... then my prolapse worsened and was very painful and beyond help. So I finally elected to remove my uterus and cervix, tubes ( they were tied and that’s were a lot of ovarian cancer starts) but I kept my healthy ovaries, for my family is not high risks for o cancer and your ovaries still work in wonderful ways up to around age 70 and prevent far riskier health problems, as well.
I am 6 weeks post-op.... had a robotic lavh and I am feeling better than I expected. No more heaviness, bleeding or pain and a flatter tummy too. In hindsight, I wish that I had done this sooner, however I found a better surgeon by waiting when I moved to a new state.
I am looking forward to a better life... I am still nervous about sex, which I should be released for in 2 weeks, however my libido is great and feelings of arousal are great too! Before, I was either in pain or bleeding. Best part right now is I am wearing my new white pants, shorts etc... for the first time in years!

All the best,

Miss JJ
Thanks for your story, I had two ultrasounds a year apart and there was minimal change to fibroid size so I was happy to wait, hoping menopause would save the day. A few months later incontinence became a problem and then I could feel the lump in my abdomen and decided the time had come. An ultrasound 8 months after the last one showed it had basically doubled in size so it's beyond a choice really. Surgery is tomorrow, feeling relaxed as best I can be. Have to do the enema in 2 hours! Looking forward to positive outcomes once through the recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 6/8: Decision to keep cervix and tubes

Having done research, listening to your stories and speaking with my surgeon I chose to remove the tubes.
The incision is shorter than it could have been, not needing to go around the naval. Again I listened to a story on this website reading having positive intention. I am happy with this outcome.
I was a bit sad during the week thinking I was having a more difficult path with abdominal surgery not laparascopy. I would have liked this option. On the morning of the surgery I discussed with my doctor she considers this option if uterus size is like 12 week pregnancy but mine was 20 weeks. Post surgery I was told it was 2.5 kg which is 5.5 pounds. Maybe in the U.S. with surgeons very experienced with many patients to source from a large population this is more a possibility. Otherwise I am happy with this. My lump and pregnant belly is gone. I'm yet to pass urine, but already don't have intense bladder pressure. I'll see how I go with that. Thanks again for your stories and thanks for listening. Xx
Unread 06-09-2018, 09:34 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 6/8: Decision to keep cervix and tubes

rest - walk - rest. wishes for an easy recovery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register