Upcoming hysterectomy: When is too much bleeding a need to be concerned?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: When is too much bleeding a need to be concerned?? Upcoming hysterectomy: When is too much bleeding a need to be concerned??

Unread 04-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy: When is too much bleeding a need to be concerned??

I am new to the forums as I had novasure ablasion back in november and have had complications where now I am being recommended for a partial hysterectomy. My uterus lining has thickened and polyps have formed due to complications with the ablasion. i have been bleeding for last 6 weeks extensively with only two days of no bleeding. This past weekend has been the worst ever.
I had another ultrasound last week and dr said my only relief will come from removing the uterus. This past weekend I was needing to change super plus tampon and pad within 45 minutes and this has been going on since saturday morning. I have never hurt this bad or had this much bleeding in my life. I was wanting a second opinion and have one scheduled for 16th but don't feel I can wait that long with my bleeding this bad. I had a lady that was recommended to me that I want to do the second opinion and I was wondering also if anyone has gotten the 2nd opinion dr to do the surgery instead of regular doctor. I am a little concerned with current dr since problems with ablasion and I have been really upset over him not trying to give me some relief from the bleeding. I am worried that I am going to lose too much blood or become more anemic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2014, 09:46 AM
Re: Help:When is too much bleeding a need to be concerned??

Hi joness0333,

I think you should phone your Dr.'s office and advise them of the situation. As well sometimes heavy vaginal bleeding needs to be evaluated at the ER department. My Dr. had me try tranexamic acid for my heavy bleeding. Unfortunately the medication would not work the first day. I had 3 episodes of filling a overnight pad in 45 minutes over several hours. The bleeding was so bad I ended up passing out! Each of those times I went to the ER. I did not seek a second opinion but I know other sisters on the site have. Hopefully you get some relief soon. Keep us posted. Take care.
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy: When is too much bleeding a need to be concerned??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ealasaid View Post
Hi joness0333,

I think you should phone your Dr.'s office and advise them of the situation. As well sometimes heavy vaginal bleeding needs to be evaluated at the ER department. My Dr. had me try tranexamic acid for my heavy bleeding. Unfortunately the medication would not work the first day. I had 3 episodes of filling a overnight pad in 45 minutes over several hours. The bleeding was so bad I ended up passing out! Each of those times I went to the ER. I did not seek a second opinion but I know other sisters on the site have. Hopefully you get some relief soon. Keep us posted. Take care.
Thank you I have left message for both my primary care Dr and obgyn Dr this morning but haven't gotten call back. I do feel weak but haven't passed out or anything. Pain is able to be managed with 800mg ibuprofen. I am flooding for the third straight day and just worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones0333 View Post
Thank you I have left message for both my primary care Dr and obgyn Dr this morning but haven't gotten call back. I do feel weak but haven't passed out or anything. Pain is able to be managed with 800mg ibuprofen. I am flooding for the third straight day and just worried.
You're Hopefully you hear from the Dr. soon. Make sure to increase your fluid intake. I found a glass of V8/tomato juice seemed to make me feel better. The heavy bleeding can really drag down your physical and emotional well being. Hang in there
Unread 04-07-2014, 03:06 PM

I heard back from obgyn and surgery is scheduled for next tuesday.. praying things get better soon.
Unread 04-07-2014, 03:40 PM

Glad to hear your surgery date is next week. Now you can start planning your recovery area and action plan. Lots of great tips on here. Sending healing thoughts your way.
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:29 PM

Hi Jones- I just wanted to send you a hug! Your story is mine exactly- except my bleeding went on for many months more than yours, so I know exactly how you feel. I was passing plum size clots sometimes 20-30 times a day. It was awful, and it does just drain you. If I can offer a word of advice, keep drinking lots of water and stay hydrated. Eat healthy foods and a tad more nibbles if you can to keep your strength up prior to surgery. Don't take extra vitamins or anything unless your doctor tells you- you don't want them to cancel on you for any reason. I had a LAVH a little over 4 weeks ago, and except for a lot of swelling, I feel great and it was not hard at all. Feel free to message me if you would like to chat- You can do this!!! Take care of yourself and hang in there- it's almost over. Truly, you will feel so much better shortly!! Keep your chin up- my heating pad was my best friend for a long time waiting for surgery. Not taking meds before surgery was the worst, I know. Hang in there, this is the best I have felt in years!! Many hugs and thoughts sent your way. xoxo Elizabeth
Unread 04-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: When is too much bleeding a need to be concerned??

Hey there! I had a hysterectomy primarily because of heavy bleeding. I started basically hemorrhaging last November and it never stopped. It was running my life...often it would just pour out of me and I couldn't leave the bathroom.

In Feb my gym gave me progesterone which stopped the bleeding for a couple weeks but it started back up shortly before my surgery. Meanwhile I upped my spinach intake and tried to eat as healthy a possible.

Take care of yourself! And know that the anxiety leading up to the surgery is far worse then the surgery itself.
Unread 04-09-2014, 08:45 AM

Thanks Ladies! I am a little scared and feeling bad today. Went to see my primary doctor yesterday and she advised that this is the best decision. Last night I started hurting really bad in my lower abdomen and now have pressure down there as well that is very very uncomfortable. I am tired of hurting and being miserable and even though I am only having a week to get used to the idea of having to have this surgery I do know it is my best decision.
Unread 04-09-2014, 08:52 AM

You are going to be just fine!! This last week is the worst of all, as the waiting can ramp up your nerves and being off all pain meds so that your body is ready for surgery. Get out your heating pad and make a list of what you need for your surgery. If you can stand a bit, freeze some easy dinners for you and your family so that you will have meals ready to eat by just popping them in the microwave or oven. I even froze French Toast and it was perfect and easy! Up your water, eat lots of spinach, green peppers and such for iron and start taking something like Colase now so BM's won't be a problem after your surgery. The time will pass quickly and you can do this!!! Big hugs and keep your chin up, it does get better, trust me!!! Best thing of all- was giving all my extra boxes of tampons to my girls. Major score for all of us, they are out of my house and my kids were happy to save some money all the boxes of OB's that I handed them!!! 'Gotta' find the humor in it all too- plus think of the white pants and white shorts you can wear this summer, major++ score on that one. xoxoxo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register