Huge fibroid, feel the difference? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Huge fibroid, feel the difference? Huge fibroid, feel the difference?

Unread 08-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Huge fibroid, feel the difference?

I don't intend to threadjack here and I'm sorry if I do.

This is a great question! With some great answers! I also have a HUGE fibroid - in fact when the Ultrasound tech did the ultrasound he wasn't able to measure any but the big one because it is large and in charge!

I'm overweight but even so,,, I don't think my belly should be sticking out this far. My shorts, capris and pants all fit around the waist but are baggy in the seat and legs. I'm hoping once the aliens are gone I can go down a pant size (or more ) I have heartburn after everything I consume lately, have to pee every 5 minutes, and get uncomfortable in my pants several times a week. I am so looking forward to them being gone, along with their house and supplier.

Thanks to the ladies who have answered this and to you for posting the question!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Yes!!!

I instantly felt the difference with my hand right after I came out of surgery that it was gone. No lump! Then when I was up and walking around, the bowling ball heavy weighted feeling was gone as well. I don't have problems urinating or having bowel movements either. It's fantastic!!! The best part? No more bleeding!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by designergal
I've got an enormous fibroid (actually 3 of them) that are roughly the size of a big honeydew melon. My doctor says 26+ week pregnancy size. I will have TAH to remove it. Has anyone had a similarly giant fibroid removed, and if so did you notice it felt different right after? What was your experience?

Did having such a big thing removed make your recovery longer or was your body so glad to be rid of it that you zipped back quickly?

I wonder about the swelly belly too- with that big mass gone will I notice the swelling or will it be so much smaller it won't seem so bad? I am a small person & thin so I am sticking out weirdly, like I have a bowling ball in my belly. I wonder what size pants to plan on? Just wondering if anyone here has advice???
Unread 08-05-2007, 07:33 PM

Since you got rid of a huge lump did you get swelly belly so you were the same size? Or did you still feel like you were flatter?

Did having it out of the way mean you didn't struggle too badly with the bowel & gas issues?

How about recovery? I'm wondering if having such a radical change makes the recovery harder or is your body so glad to be rid of it that you bounce back well?

Also did you feel that horrible dread beforehand? I know it's not rational but I am scared they will find it's cancer after all or it will be an enormous blood loss... anything awful. I know it doesn't make sense but I still wake up terrified almost every night. Any tips?
Unread 08-05-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Since you got rid of a huge lump did you get swelly belly so you were the same size? Or did you still feel like you were flatter?
I'm 4 weeks post-ops right now. I tried on my work pants at 2 weeks post-op and they were tighter than before surgery. I'm haven't had the guts to try them on again. I do FEEL flatter but whether I am or not remains to be seen.

Quote:
Did having it out of the way mean you didn't struggle too badly with the bowel & gas issues?
Before surgery, my fibroids were pressing on my colon causing all kinds of pain and problems. NOT anymore baby!! The only issues I've had are directly related to having surgery. I don't have any gas at all post-surgery which is weird because my BM's are perfectly fine.

Quote:
How about recovery? I'm wondering if having such a radical change makes the recovery harder or is your body so glad to be rid of it that you bounce back well?
Well, an abdominal hyster is MAJOR surgery - but the body is an amazing thing. I had a nasty infection that threw me for a loop for 2 weeks but even then - I'm healing very quickly. I still have to take it very easy - but I marvel at how quickly the body recovers. Most times I have to remind myself to slow down cause I feel good and forget sometimes until my innards yell at me and I cease and desist. I have to say that having all that mess out of me is life changing for many reasons. Freedom from physical agony being at the top of the list.

You are in charge of your recovery. Laying around in bed with a TV remote and a laptop computer is priority number one for at least the first 2 weeks.

Quote:
Also did you feel that horrible dread beforehand? I know it's not rational but I am scared they will find it's cancer after all or it will be an enormous blood loss... anything awful. I know it doesn't make sense but I still wake up terrified almost every night. Any tips?
Yes. Horrible. Consuming. I thought extensibly about every possible thing that could go wrong. I interviewed my husband about what he was going to do when I didn't make it through surgery. My first concern was whether he would keep the cats. (Yes, of course). I made sure he knew where all our paperwork was and gave him advice about the house. I asked him to not get the next trixie off the internet and on and on.

I got our blood tested to see if we matched - we did - so I asked him if would donate a unit for me (I couldn't donate because of anemia). No problem - he donated - but I didn't need it.

I made sure everyone in my family knew to pull the plug if I was a vegetable and brought my Medical Directive and Power of Attorney to the hospital with me. I could go and on - but, in other words your feelings are normal!!!
Unread 08-05-2007, 11:41 PM

Not sure if you are repsonding to me or not... but I will reply anyway. See below, my answers are in red.

[quote=designergal]Since you got rid of a huge lump did you get swelly belly so you were the same size? Or did you still feel like you were flatter?
Yes, even though the lump of the fibroid is gone, I still get swollen because of the trauma of surgery, and if I over do it. But I was (and still am) flatter than before surgery.

Well, if I am understanding you correctly, the bowel and gas issues most deal with is because of the actual surgery and the anesthesia. It is not related to having or not having the fibroid anymore. For me, I had bladder and bowel issues before surgery because the fibroid was so large it was taking over and causing pressure and problems on those organs. Hope this makes sense.

Not sure what you mean about recovery being harder. I know that my body feels differently now that it is gone. I think my insides are trying to figure out what is going on with the fibroid and my larger uterus being gone. I think my recovery has gone pretty well considering what my body has been thru.

Honestly? I had sooooo much time to think about this surgery because I took Lupron beforehand that by the time surgery came around I was SO ready! I actually jumped up and down before going in!!! the only fear I had going in was that he would have to take my ovary and I didn't want that. I was totally at peace and ready to move forward with it. I think you need to ask yourself why you are having this surgery, and try to work through it that way. Also, coming here and talking with other ladies going through the same thing and having the same emotions will help!!!

I hope I helped you and answered your questions. Let me know if I didn't, or if you have more!

Unread 08-06-2007, 05:27 AM

designergal, You DO feel better right away! and the hardest part of ths entire thing was the waiting and not knowing!
I have staples which come out this morning and I get to go home.
I have really renjoyed this down time, and have NOT pused myself to get up too much, mostly slept those two days.

My stomach felt so flat the first day, the second day it swelled some and still is, but still it is not like it was with my rather large fibroids.
I have some pain, but it is really minimal. They took off the IV last night, I had one percocett and just a tylenol this morning thus far.

Now, I know that the hardest part will be taking it easy ,,,,really easy NOT clean and grocery shop and all those things we know we are not supposed to do.... I feel so good, it wiill be hard to remember I have 100's of inside stitches that are healing.
Unread 08-06-2007, 05:59 PM

Yes, it will make a huge difference to your quality of life. Even having smaller ones makes a difference... You will be pleasantly surprised, I am willing to bet. I had a very large fibroid some years ago that was removed, and the difference even the day after was astounding...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register