Not as stressed about the actual hysterecomy as about recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not as stressed about the actual hysterecomy as about recovery Not as stressed about the actual hysterecomy as about recovery

Unread 04-07-2014, 05:37 AM
Not as stressed about the actual hysterecomy as about recovery

As this won't be the first abdominal procedure I have experienced, I'm not really stressing about the actual surgery. The recovery is what is stressing me out to no end. I am a pole dance teacher. I actually own a studio, and I am the only teacher. I run a horse boarding stable, I am a mother of 2 girls who are in many after school activities. My husband travels a lot (he will be home for 2 weeks when I have my surgery) and we have a very active sex life. He is wonderful but can't take several months off from his job to help, and of course he can't teach pole dance lol.

I have to have my surgery because I'm suffering from Post Ablation syndrome, and have been for over a year. Its getting to the point that I have pain more days then not, although I have learned out to control it somewhat with pain meds and heat packs, so at least I don't end up in the ER anymore. We are hoping to leave my cervix and ovaries. They are removing my tubes because of the post ablation syndrome. We are hoping to do minimally invasive, but have to be prepared to do open because of scar tissue from my 2 c-sections and the chance of endo from the post ablation syndrome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Re: Not as stressed about the actual hysterecomy as about recovery

You need to discuss recovery restrictions with your doctor. When will he or she release you to go back to your job and to work with horses. You may need to hire someone for a short time to help out with them. You will also be restricted from driving for some time - so you may need to get family friends to help drive your children to their activities.

You also need to listen carefully to your body. It needs time to heal and you only get one chance to heal right. In general for recovery, think weeks and not days. And then you ease back into life SLOWLY.

Unread 04-07-2014, 09:26 PM

My recovery was smooth, I didn't even use the pain meds, I walked the day after the hysterectomy and went home the day after surgery. As far as things now 1.5 years later- it is still a road to recovery for me; but the actual recovery from the procedure was practically pain free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare View Post
As this won't be the first abdominal procedure I have experienced, I'm not really stressing about the actual surgery. The recovery is what is stressing me out to no end. I am a pole dance teacher. I actually own a studio, and I am the only teacher. I run a horse boarding stable, I am a mother of 2 girls who are in many after school activities. My husband travels a lot (he will be home for 2 weeks when I have my surgery) and we have a very active sex life. He is wonderful but can't take several months off from his job to help, and of course he can't teach pole dance lol.

I have to have my surgery because I'm suffering from Post Ablation syndrome, and have been for over a year. Its getting to the point that I have pain more days then not, although I have learned out to control it somewhat with pain meds and heat packs, so at least I don't end up in the ER anymore. We are hoping to leave my cervix and ovaries. They are removing my tubes because of the post ablation syndrome. We are hoping to do minimally invasive, but have to be prepared to do open because of scar tissue from my 2 c-sections and the chance of endo from the post ablation syndrome.
Hi,
I had LAVH and was instructed not to drive or even ride in a car until my 2wk post op! So yes, prepare for someone else to take your kids to activities... I had to put my business on complete hold, as I am the only one that runs it, from home but still didn't want the stress during recovery.

I have heard others that have adenomyosis have failed ablations... I wonder if adeno has been considered for you? The reason I mention is because if adeno is suspected the experts agree that the cervix should also be removed as it is technically part of the uterus and if left adeno can remain and cause you pain and possibly even a mini period monthly.

I had adeno and the pain prior was so, so bad... When I awoke from surgery that pain was gone... I honestly felt great even though Ihad 3 belly incisions etc. I only took pain pills 3 days and then was fine with nothing... Nobody could get that my pain was NOTHING compared to the pain I felt this past year prior!

If you can prepare some freezer meals, have groceries stocked prior to surgery this will help you. My hubby only took off work 5 days and then I was on my own. Worst part was just that.. Being alone during the day... I got very lonely... Couldn't drive... Had no visitors, etc. It kind of took an emotional toll on me. I am 37 and most of my friends really have no clue about this surgery... I think they are scared its contagious or something lol!
Unread 04-08-2014, 07:31 AM

My LAVH has been my only surgery (other than a c-section 7 years ago), and my recovery is going very well. My surgery was last Friday--3.5 hours--and I feel great. Pain has been minimal. I'm having no trouble reaching, bending, getting up and down, etc. I'm normally quite fit and active, and yesterday I took a 2.5-mile walk and it felt great. Sounds like you are quite active, so hopefully your recovery will be smooth as well.
Unread 04-09-2014, 06:43 AM

My Dr has told me to be prepared to do pretty much next to nothing for 2 weeks. She doesn't want me to even attempt to pole for about 8 weeks. My husband will be home for almost the first full 2 weeks so he will be taking care of kids and horses. My niece and her boyfriend will help a bit after he is on the road, emptying muck tubs and filling the grain bins. I hate being dependent on others. At least when I had my c-sections my husband didn't travel with his jobs.

Wonder if one of the binders would help?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register