Calling all LAVH/BSOs! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Calling all LAVH/BSOs! Calling all LAVH/BSOs!

Unread 05-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Calling all LAVH/BSOs!

I usually spend my time on the pre-op board because I'm due for surgery on the 7th, but I've been reading this one to prepare myself and home for the recovery. I think menopause scares me the most about this whole thing.

Anyway, I've been reading the 3-week post and now I'm scared I haven't taken off enough time from work. I told them I would be out for 4 weeks, I have a desk job. Is this long enough?? I figured at 4 weeks I'd be feeling back to normal. Since I won't have an incision, isn't it quicker recovery?

I'd love to hear from all of you that had the same surgery...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Calling all LAVH/BSOs!

How long did your DR tell you that you would be out? A lot of companies require a note from the DR releasing their patient to return to work, and list any restrictions.

The average recovery time from LAVH is 4-6 weeks. It's better to plan on the longer time, it's easier to go back early than it is to need more time, or to go back to soon and then have to go back out.

It's still major surgery and the same amount of work was done internally, the only difference is with a LAVH you don't have the big incision to remind you to take it easy.
Unread 05-26-2004, 02:58 PM
Calling all LAVH/BSOs!

Oh. I thought that since it was vaginal and not abdominal that I won't hurt as bad and get better a lot quicker...

My doctor told me 4-6 weeks, but I can't imagine being at home not working for 6 weeks. That just sounds like way too long to be recovering. If I can drive in two weeks, in four weeks I figured I'd be good to go.

I thought that if you had an abdominal, that's why your stomach is so sore. But with a LAVH it goes through the vagina, no incision on the ab, looks like I need more education. :confuse:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2004, 03:07 PM
Calling all LAVH/BSOs!

My dr told me 4 weeks and that is what he put on my work time off request also. I am also having a LAVH.
Unread 05-26-2004, 05:34 PM
Calling all LAVH/BSOs!

Hi blahndy,
I am also having an LAVH and my doctor said 4-6. But to ask for the 6 from work. He said that everyone recovers at different rates and you don't want to feel like you need to go back before you are ready.

I can't imagine being out of work for that long, either. I'm lucky in that I can work remotely for a little bit during the day if I am feeling up to it.

Susan
Unread 05-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Calling all LAVH/BSOs!

Even though your surgery is being done vaginally, they are still removing parts of your body. There will be internal sticthes that need to heal.

Listen to what your doctor says.

Good luck!!!
Unread 05-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Calling all LAVH/BSOs!

Hi. You will more than likely be ready to go back in 4 weeks even though you will have to pace it out.
I had 2 surgeries back to back (hyster and 4 days later a surgery for something else ) I was in the castle for a week, and I took only 5 wks off.
You will think at first that it's forever... but the energy does come back.

Good luck.
Climb
Unread 05-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Calling all LAVH/BSOs!

Hi

I had LAVH/BSO two years ago. I thought I would be Superwoman and ready to go back to work at 4 weeks....NOT! The healing and recovery from anesthesia is just as important as if you would have had an external abdominal incision. So I would say...if you can get 6 weeks off from work, go for it. You can only heal properly and "best" in the beginning...give yourself that time. LAVH is a major surgery, even tho your abdomen is not being cut...there will be internal incisions/sutures that need time to heal.

Good luck and sending 's

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register