pre-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-26-2004, 06:39 PM
pre-op

Hi! So glad to have the support from everyone. My question is: how should I prepare for when I come home from the castle? Are there foods/drinks/preparations etc that help post-op? Thanks, as I'm trying to get everything ready before my surgery date of June 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2004, 09:11 PM
pre-op

Welcome Chelsea Night,

I went to the grocery and stocked up on what we usually eat. It is good to get healthy foods, vegetables, fruits, juice, et. If you want to do some casseroles and freeze, that is a good idea. My husband was at home for a few days and he fixed lunch for me, but after that I helped myself with frozen dinners at lunch or sandwich and fruit or leftovers from supper. I had cereal for breakfast or a bagel. Dh cooked at night for us so I made a list of what to cook for the week and he would go get groceries when we got low.

I needed pantiliners mostly after the first week and did not have enough of those at home.

I bought books and magazines to read. I wish I had gotten meds(stool softeners and Ducolax, Metamucil) for constipation because I had a problem with that and I ended up getting off(dr permission) the perscription meds and took Motrin(had to send dh to store for all these things) because of constipation and they made me too tired.

I had TVH and rectocele repair and I wish I had a donut pillow to sit on. A small pillow is good if you have an abdominal surgery to protect or hold on incision if you cough or laugh. It may help when you drive.

After the first few days when I started to feel better I lounged in the den mostly and watched tv or got on the computer when I could for short periods. It hurt to sit at computer very long.
If there is some kind of sit down project you can work on , it will help to keep you from getting bored. It is a good time to organize photo albums. I read a couple of novels that friends loaned me.

Well , I hope this helped some.

Take care, you are almost there.

s
Unread 05-26-2004, 10:31 PM
pre-op

Things I'm glad I'd had here for when I came home:
A full larder of groceries, tylenol, stool softeners, Gas-X (altho I haven't used it yet,) ground flax seed, aspirin, clean sheets on the bed, a spare set of clean sheets, a clean home, daily facial cleansing cloths so I didn't have to bend over to wash my face, two pair of panties many sizes larger than usual, a light compression body slimmer (girdle type thing) that I haven't used yet but thought might be handy on my first time driving or such, a backscratcher, a shoehorn with a long handle, books to read, videos to watch, an embroidery kit, my computer, a blow dryer to dry my incision site after a shower, someone to be in the bathroom ready to hand the first time I took a shower (altho I didn't need help as it turned out.)
My partner was only able to be here for the first two days after getting home, so I'd arranged for different friends to check in with me - one in the morning, one in the early evening, to see if I needed them to come help or bring me something. That way I could cancel their visit if I didn't need anything, but didn't have to spend time on the phone trying to find help when not feeling well. This has been working great and spreads out the support needed.
Things I wish I'd thought of to have:
a "grabber" device with a long handle that would have let me pick up items I'd dropped on the floor without stooping (that I would have found handy the first 4-5 days after getting home), and some vitamin E oil for my incision.
Hope this helps. Wish I'd thought to ask your question before mine!! Good thinking! and Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2004, 10:34 PM
pre-op

ps - just remembered - my bladder had had years of punishment from those darn fibroids and was oversensitive anyway - but I still loved my cup of coffee in the morning, nevermind that it made me run back and forth to the bathroom often! Anyway - I quit caffeine a week prior to the surgery and stocked up on decaff stuff for after the surgery and am very glad for that.
Might not be an issue for everyone, butmade a difference for me.
Unread 05-27-2004, 04:56 AM
June 1st too!

Hey girl! My castle date is June 1st too! I started on my room last night! I'm using the guest room because the bed is taller, has a great TV with remlote. and has an easy access to the bathroom. My wonderful daughter-in-law said she wanted to help fix my room. She washed all the bedding- including the comforter. I moved in a lower lamp and a TV tray. I bought an inexpensive kid's tray to keep on the bed to stash things. I've checked out lots of books from the library (I teach language arts and am an avid reader). I've bought puzzle books and a deck of cards. I have a couple of gifts that my students gave me and have them in sight. I'm going shopping tonight for easy to fix, nutricious foods. I'm moving a comfortable chair in there for sitting if I don't feel like going into the living room. I'm a "nest builder". I also bought a notebook for a journal and thank you cards. I'm sure other items will come to mind as Tuesday approaches. I'll be thinking of you that morning and praying for you.

JuneE

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register