TERRIFIED TAH Spinal!!!!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TERRIFIED   TAH  Spinal!!!!! TERRIFIED TAH Spinal!!!!!

Unread 06-01-2005, 07:05 PM
TERRIFIED TAH Spinal!!!!!

Kathleen-If it is really bothering you insist on what type of anesthesia you feel comfortable with. This is YOUR surgery. I know there is no way I would have been awake for it. I thought I was just going to get morphine drip as I was told in pre-op. The a-man gave me a choice minutes before surgery! Talk about a snap decision! I had an epidural with only a bit of novacaine before and it was ok. It controlled pain ok too. Just be comfortable with your decision. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2005, 09:16 AM

I talked it over with my mom and she says when I talk about surgery with a general she can tell that I am calm about it, but she can hear the fear in my voice with the spinal and she doesn't think it is the right choice for me. I don't think so either. If everything goes right, it sounds wonderful, but I am too stressed out and just need to know I will be asleep and wake up. I won't have to wonder if I will be fading in and out and wondering when it will be over. Thank you for helping me make my decision firmer.

I've increased my anxiety medication and after hearing the spinal suggestion, I am shaking. This isn't the frame of mind that I should be going under surgery. I've come to terms with the general, and even though I am afraid of that, I am able to calm myself. To the ladies who have had a spinal, I applaud you, the recovery sounds great. I've been under a lot of stress with my dad needing to be put on a respirator and in and out of the hospital, and my mom has breast cancer, had surgery and is now undergoing radiation. I think the added stress over the spinal would put me over the edge. I feel like I will disappoint the doctor's advise, but at this time, I can't see me being the perfect patient when the procedure starts! Panic attack for sure. Thank you for listening to me, I treaure all of you.

Kathleen
Unread 06-02-2005, 09:44 AM

Kathleen - I had a spinal with my TVH on May 3rd. I'm not thrilled with needles either .. but beleive me this is the way to go. They put something into my IV to relax me and I don't even remember having my spinal done. When I came out of surgery there was no pain. I went back to my room feeling great. They said the spinal has pain meds that last for 24 hours so the next morning I was anticipating the pain to begin ... it never did. I never took a pain pill. I went home that morning. So many people have that groggy feeling from "general" for days after, I didn't want that, and I was afraid the general would make me sick - with a spinal you don't feel that way. You do not have to be awake during the surgery either - they put something in your IV. I had a great experience with a spinal - Hope you do to!
Beams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Terrified TAH Spinal

Hiya,

I am having my surgery on June 13th, and personally I have asked for a spinal, due to my major panic attacks. My worst fear in the world is being put under general anthesia. So my doctor has agreed to keep me awake. The only part I am scared about, is someone told me you feel like I can't breath after the spinal, because you are numb so far up. I would love any feedback anyone has on this. You will be fine with a spinal there are no where near the side effects and after effects

Thank you
Cheryl
Unread 06-02-2005, 10:29 AM

Irish Kathleen,
I am the opposite of you I am scared to death to have general anesthesia. I don't know how I will react - don't want to feel groggy or throw up afterwards. I am headed to my pre-op with the hope that I can have a spinal or epidural. I had an epidural for my spincter surgery and it was great - I don't remember a thing. I also had somekind of a local anesthesia for having my deviated septum fixed several years ago - I would have freeked out if I was aware of them working in my head - don't remember a thing about that surgery either - so I figure I would rather go with what has worked for me in the past. Good Luck. Sometimes the Anestheologist*sp has the last word.
Unread 06-02-2005, 12:43 PM

Cheryl -
With a spinal you can't feel anything from your waist down - it's kinda freaky ... but I never had any breathing problems and about an hour after my surgery I regained the feeling in my legs and feet - but no pain in my pelvic area.
Hope this helps ease your mind!
Beams
Unread 06-02-2005, 06:14 PM

Hi Beams,

thank you so much, that makes me feel alot better reallly. Everybody here has been great I am getting calmer by the day. About the spinal, still kind of freaked out about the surgery though..LOL But I am tough Iwill survive....and live to tell about it.... Hugs to everyone, Cheryl
Unread 06-02-2005, 07:06 PM
I have requested an epidural with IV sedaton

I am deathly afraid of general, and have requested an epidural with IV sedation so I won't really know what is going on. The hospital has seemed to agree and my surgeon is supportive. I have heard from many nurses that this is the way to go
I have read when you have general anesthesia, your bowels are "put to sleep" along with the rest of you and getting them started back up is sometimes difficult. They also indicated with an epiduaral that your bowels are fine and you can have a BM faster? Also you can have pain control for 24 hours through the epidural.
I have had an epidural for a minor procedure in the past with IV and it was fine- - never knew I had the procedure! Was wondering if anyone felt anything with that type of anesthesia with a SAH. I am hoping that everyone says no!! Going to the castle on June 10th and scared!!! My surgeon does not really dwell on the gas pains; says some ladies have them and some don't- - oh my!!!!! Does anyone have a recommendation on how to prevent or ease gas pains????

Sandy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register