Help - Advice please.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help - Advice please.... Help - Advice please....

Unread 10-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Help - Advice please....

I am scheduled for a Da Vinci Hysterectomy on Nov 10th (I just found out yesterday). The doc is going to leave my ovaries and take EVERYTHING else out (I have Endo - 13 years, and recently diagnosed with dysplasia).

What is the pain like post-op (I've had 2 c-sections)? Will I be able to hold my baby (13lbs)? How long before I can return to work? What is the bowel function like (this was HORRID after my c-sections....more pain going to the bathroom then anything).

I'm nervous and have no idea what to expect....I'm only 29.

Will i go through menopause? Sex life? **Sigh**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Re: Help - Advice please....

Hello,
Welcome to hystersisters this in the most wonderful site that you could ever imagines. You will find all the answers you are looking for.
I can't really tell you about the pain after post op because I haven't had my surgery yet. From what my dr. says you shouldn't go through menopause because they are leaving your ovaries. Your sex life should be the same. Some women said that it's better since they have had surgery. I have also read that you should take a stool softener and something for gas. Depending on the type of procedure you are having is when you would return to work. Anywhere from 4-8 weeks. I have also read that the procedure you are having is less invasive and downtime shouldn't be too long just follow your dr.'s instruction
Unread 10-02-2009, 09:55 AM

Hello.....You must be scared to death and I just want to reach out and give you a hug....since you will be keeping your ovaries...you wont go through menopause...but there is a chance that your ovaries might shut down for awhile after surgery. Mine did and that lasted for about 3 months. I was given a 10 lb. limit on lifting...so I think you will be able to take care of your baby....talk with your doctor. Depending on how you heal and type of surgery you have is how long you will be off work. Some women go back to work in a few weeks and others take a lot longer......Sex...with you keeping your ovaries, should not be a problem. You will most likely have more relief getting rid of the endo pain. Write down all of your question and take the list to your doctor so he/she can answer them all for you. I know you are only 29....we have a lot of women that young and younger here. I hope maybe they can give you some good advice. Good luck to you....sending cyber-hugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulrich22 View Post
I'm nervous and have no idea what to expect....I'm only 29.

Will i go through menopause? Sex life? **Sigh**
I'm having mine done (daVinci also...leaving the ovaries and tubes only) this coming Wednesday so I can't speak to all of your questions.

Hopefully your operation will go supremely well and your recovery will be really quick and smooth. I had 2 c-sections, too.

From everything I've heard (from nurses, my doc and others who've gone through it) as long as you follow your doc's advice about bowel prep and ease back into foods only when and how it's recommended you should do fine. My doc told me that I can use a stool softener if I have any difficulties after the surgery.

With the doc leaving your ovaries you shouldn't be thrown immediately into menopause, which will be good.

I've heard varying reports on the sex life question. I've heard from people who say there's no desire or actual problems (dryness or whatever) and I've heard from people who say that it's better than ever because they can finally have intercourse without pain. You should definitely talk to you doc about this. Also, if you do find that you have any sexual difficulties, you should work with your doc to see about resolving them.

I hope this helps! Bless you!
Stacie
Unread 10-02-2009, 12:41 PM

I didn't have a daVinci, but I had a TVH 2 days ago and I also had 2 c-sections. The recovery for this so far is much better. No incision pain and I can walk and do stairs pretty well. I am still on pain meds and take 2 percocets about every 8 hours. I find that the 3 hours after I take the pain meds are the times I can get up and take a shower and walk a little around my bedroom. I go up and down the stairs a few times a day. As far as I'm concerned, the TVH was much better recovery than the 2 c-sections.

Paula

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register