Upcoming hysterectomy 7/28 - aortic Stenosis and LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 7/28 - aortic Stenosis and LAVH Upcoming hysterectomy 7/28 - aortic Stenosis and LAVH

Unread 07-13-2020, 12:15 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 7/28 - aortic Stenosis and LAVH

I am 56 years old and scheduled to have a total LAVH on July 28, 2020. I have moderate aortic Stenosis and I am scared to be put to sleep any body else have this condition. I did get a cardiac clearance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2020, 08:10 PM
Re: aortic Stenosis and LAVH

Hi cajunleeann to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

I do not have any heart issues, but your concerns are understandable. Your cardiac doctor gave you clearance so that is good. You may want to talk to him or her to get some verbal reassurance in addition. Hopefully your surgeon and your heart doctor have conversed as well. They may use different anesthetic for you, and I know from my own surgery, that my anesthesiologist said that anesthetics have come a long way, even in the past decade or two.

Talk to your surgeon and anesthesiologist about your concerns as well. Here are articles:
Anesthesia | Which Anesthesia Is Best for Hysterectomy?
Anesthesia | Does Hysterectomy Type Affect Anesthesia Options?

Just know that you are not alone in this. We are here for you.

Unread 07-16-2020, 05:35 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 7/28 - aortic Stenosis and LAVH

I've been hesitant to respond for I don't have stenosis. I do, however, have arrhythmia and a slightly leaky heart valve, and prior to surgery that concerned me. What if my heart went nuts while under general anesthesia? What if I went into cardiac arrest? After checking in and while I was getting prepped, various members of the surgical team came to talk to me and find out where my head was. I shared my arrhythmia concern with the assistant to the anesthesiologist who assured she'd be monitoring my vitals the whole time. Hearing that was a relief.

After surgery, I learned more about the role of anesthesiologists (and assistants) in surgery: They are doctors, not technicians. In addition to putting you under, they manage the anesthesia during surgery, are monitoring your vital signs the whole time, and giving the surgeon and the rest of OR team status updates. If something about your health or vital signs needs addressing at any point, the anesthesiologist is the one to call it out - and they will treat it without delay. They're the front line of your defense, and your biggest advocate. A good overview of what an anesthesiologist and just how important he or she is in surgery can be found at this link on the Johns Hopkins site.

You'll likely be able to talk to your anesthesiologist and assistant (if any) prior to surgery. Chances are they'll already know about your aortic stenosis, any meds you are on or any other condition. Tell 'em again, and let them know of your concerns. A good team will provide assurance as my team did. You really are in the best place possible while in your doctors' hands in the hospital.

I'd not been under general anesthesia in my adult life, and I'll say it was rather amazing. Within 2-3 minutes of getting the "juice" I was out. It was way deeper than any sleep, no dreams, no sensations, and when I finally came around a few hours later, it felt like I'd only been out 5-10 minutes. Plus there was the relief of "I made it, they took care of me!" - my arrhythmia wasn't a factor - and that peace let me go back to sleep.

I hope that helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register