Am I Not Using This site Correctly??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I Not Using This site Correctly??? Am I Not Using This site Correctly???

Unread 02-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Am I Not Using This site Correctly???

Hi, I'm new here. I found out a week and a half ago that I need a total Hysterectomy. My surgery is scheduled for Mar. 4th. I found this site and and joined. But everytime I come on, that's when I start getting anxious and nervous. When I'm busy doing other things--and maybe that's just it--I'm busy--I feel fine. This is my 1st surgery ever and I cannot wait to have it done and get back to normal.
Has anyone else come across these feelings? I want to continue with HS, but it's making me crazy. Maybe that's because this is my 1st post--any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Re: Am I Not Using This site Correctly???

and welcome to Hystersisters!

I am guessing what you mean by "using the site correctly" is that you find yourself more anxious when you are here because you are focusing more on your surgery? If that is what you mean, then you are not doing anything incorrectly. Many members find that when they run across posts that describe difficult recoveries, they become more anxious or scared. That is normal. Everyone's recovery is very unique and you will find many different descriptions of experiences here, good and bad.

I use this site to read the articles, resources, stories, etc. that interest me and relate most to what I am going through. There are also chats periodically that allow you connect with others in real-time and discuss your questions and concerns. The threads are also a wonderful way to ask questions and receive support. We share our experiences just as they happen, sometimes there are complications, pain, etc. but we can gain so much insight and support by using the threads. This is truly a place for women supporting women!

I am glad you are here and hope you find exactly what you need.

Unread 02-17-2010, 09:21 AM

Hi PBandJ!

Feeling scared is normal. I would feel the same way before mine. I guess when you come here you realize it is real and you are just focusing on surgery and surgery makes anyone nervous. Use the site to read pre-op questions and gain some insight into what to expect. If you are nervous I wouldn't read any post-op forums yet. There are tabs at the top for pre-op and questions to ask your doctor, etc. And the pre-op chats so you can get to know others who are having theirs, too, as well as gain useful information. Use this as an information source and support community. We are here for you! Sending hugs your way and hoping you find some peace. I know how anxious you can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2010, 09:27 AM

Those feeling are completely normal!! But let me just tell you I would have this surgery again in a heart beat, best thing I ever did. After a couple months of recovery, it's fabulous!!!
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:33 AM

PBandJ
I know how you feel. I have not been on HS for very long. My surgery LVAH is two weeks from today. Before I started reading all of the postings, I think was was totally freaked out. Then from reading what everyone else was feeling it made me realize everyone is scared. Everyone has a different story but we all are scared to death. The closer I get to my date I have found by reading postings everyday, I am calmer now than before. Now that is not to say when the time comes I won't be scared I am sure I will be. But keep reading. It helps. I have learned so much about things I never even thought about.
Unread 02-17-2010, 11:57 AM

PBandJ,

Yeah I know exactly what you mean and agree also with what peppermintpeggy said. I too am nervous about my TAH surgery. Its my first surgery and want to get this over with. From reading all the experiences, these feelings are normal. We just gotta hang in there. Keep this site nearby for encouragement. I find the people here are supportive and can relate to what we are feeling.
Unread 02-17-2010, 02:39 PM

It's normal to feel scared. I go from feeling scared to feeling happy that I'm going to be feeling better post op than I do now.

My surgery is March 2 so not to far away.

This site has been wonderful for all the information and encouragement that is here from the other sisters.

I've been sticking mostly to the preop side.

I've been trying to stay busy and make sure the house is organized and ready for my husband and kids to take over while I'm on the post op side.

I also bought my self a pair of new Pj's and some new books and a new hand sewing kit that I plan to use when I'm feeling better on the post op side. I plan to pamper the

Yes, I'm scared but also happy that I don't have to live with the pain much longer and I can get my smile back.

Unread 02-17-2010, 07:54 PM

Hello PBandJ! I am also having surgery on March 4th. This site has been particularly helpful in getting me prepared in a variety of ways. I have paper and a pen handy when I am on the site, and write down things I need to ask at my pre-op appointment, things I need for the hospital and stuff I will need post surgery. Knowing there are LOTS of us who are scared and worried keeps me from feeling I am all alone in this. Can you imagine what it was like 20 years ago when the thousands upon thousands of women who went before us didn't have the help of the internet and groups like this. I feel so much more "ready" for this because of the site. Good luck, and let's keep in other in our thoughts on March 4th!!
Unread 02-17-2010, 08:21 PM

I can empathize totally- I just got in too deep and didn't hear enough positive responses. I've never had any type surgery and I am 60 and terrified. Blood pressure issues, overweight, VERY physical jobs (3) that I will not be able to continue. LAVH and cystocele repair and sling 2/25 and now i have started w/ a cough and cold like symptoms I have not experienced since i was diagnosed w/ asthma/allergies 2 years ago. Don't want it to postpone surgery!
Unread 02-18-2010, 06:41 AM

Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. I think that I AM paying too much attention to the individual responses on here. I will stick with what you have all told me.

Pinkpansy, I am going shopping today for new Pj's--I think that they would make me happy--not that I'm sad--it's just my excuse LOL And good luck to you on the 2nd, I'll be thinking of you!!

WilmaLeah, Thank you and I hope that Mar. 3rd starts a new you. Good luck.

Kimmywoman, same name and same 'game' on the same date. I will be thinking of you on 'our day'.

I now can't wait to go through post-op, with ALL of you!!! I'm thinking that I'm already using this web-site correctly--making friends!!!! And I thank you!!

Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register