What are the chances of going to a concert 19 days post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What are the chances of going to a concert 19 days post-op? What are the chances of going to a concert 19 days post-op?

Unread 12-29-2011, 07:50 AM
What are the chances of going to a concert 19 days post-op?

So.....I have tickets to a concert that I bought WAY before the surgery was scheduled. My surgery is Jan 19th, and the concert is Feb 7th. The thing is, the concert is about a 4.5 hour drive away. Additionally, it's going to be a sit down concert, as opposed to a stand up and dance concert.

Am I kidding myself by thinking I can still go? I REALLY want to go!!! Like, BAD. I *could* drive to the area the day prior and then go to the concert, and then drive back the following day (breaking up the time a bit). Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Re: What are the chances of going to a concert 19 days post-op?

I am 10 days out and think that I could do it, butI did not have my cervix removed. I also had no complications. There are so many variables I think you can only wait and see. Sorry! I hope you are able to make it.
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:34 AM

Yeah, I guess I should clarify. I'll be getting a total laproscopic hysterectomy (cervix & uterus removed, and ovaries intact). Additionally, I'll be getting a prolapse repair (uterosacral vaginal vault suspension), which is what might be the thing that holds me up. I know he has said that the suspension is what requires me to rest for 3 months (as opposed to the typical 6-8 weeks).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2011, 09:53 AM

Three weeks post-op is chancy. I wouldn't have done it. or if I had, I would have been too exhausted after the trip to enjoy the concert. I could not sit upright for that long until about 4-1/2 weeks - my tummy would swell up and ache and I would get very tender.

FYI - my surgery went very well and my recovery was textbook perfect - no complications whatsoever. At 6 weeks post-op I've been cleared to resume all normal activity and I feel great.

Expect the unexpected and don't plan on it, but when the day comes and you feel up to it, decide then. And be sure to check with your doctor first.
Unread 12-29-2011, 05:12 PM

I couldn't have done it either, sorry to say. I had cervix and uterus removed and no other repairs. I had no complications and released for all activities at 8 weeks. If you're very intent on going, I think you should definitely make it a three day trip as you mentioned. However I wouldn't have been able to sit in the car for 4.5 hours. And if I had, there would have been no way I would have been able to get out of bed the next day. I really hope you can make it but please listen to your body. You only have one chance to heal properly.
Unread 12-29-2011, 07:34 PM

Yes, the ride there will be the toughest part of the journey. Your doctor may not think you're ready to drive mine said 4 weeks. Not so much the driving part, but stopping short. Be sure to use a pillow between you and the seatbelt. I even had a pillow behind me and to on.

Could someone drive you or public transportation? If not, be sure to take your time driving, taking frequent stops and breaks.

Ultimately, it's up to how you feel at the time. Hope all goes smoothly fir you!!
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:01 PM

Yes, if worse comes to worse, my husband can drive, though I'm not sure how enthused he'll be about taking off work so I can go to a concert. I plan to send the tix to my friend (who is going with me), just in case I cannot make it. I want to make sure that she can still go. I have a bad feeling that I'm going to miss this.
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:16 AM

Hiya! I'm doing the same! Big day out is 3 weeks post op - it's a walk around all day festival type gig and then am off to Bali for week 4! All booked before surgery!
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:57 AM

Hope you feel well enough to go! I also have no idea until after what my recovery will be like, so i have no personal experience to.share. hope it works!!
Unread 12-30-2011, 06:42 AM

Spunkyd, Please discuss this with your doctor. At 3 weeks post op you still are at risk for blood clots so riding in a car for 4.5 hours isn't a good idea. Your doctor will be able to let you know if you will be ready for such a trip. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register