Scheduled TAH ETA 5 Weeks--Any suggestions on preparation tips for this 5wk time frame? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ETA 5 Weeks--Any suggestions on preparation tips for this 5wk time frame? ETA 5 Weeks--Any suggestions on preparation tips for this 5wk time frame?

Unread 04-12-2012, 11:23 PM
ETA 5 Weeks--Any suggestions on preparation tips for this 5wk time frame?

I scheduled my surgery today- for May 22nd. I have 5 weeks to prepare, which is not a lot of time. I have my son's high school graduation on May 18th also, which will be a time drain. Any suggestions on the most important things to do to get ready? I want to make the best use of the time I have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Re: ETA 5 Weeks--Any suggestions on preparation tips for this 5wk time frame?

1. make sure there are people available that can help you.
2. make some meals ahead of time that can be stored in the fridge/freezer for easy use, things that can just go in the microwave. Make sure it's food that you like, along with plenty of fresh fruit. My eating schedule was really off for the first little while. I did crave fresh things.
3. If you think you are being lazy THAT'S OK . BE LAZY, VERY LAZY. It took me 2.5 weeks before I even attempted to do a small sink of dishes.
4. Movies/Books/crosswords/word search (whatever entertainment you like) - I loaded up my e-reader, and made sure I had some movies that I wanted to watch at hand, believe me you will get bored once you start feeling better.
5. Heating pad and hot water bottle, I found the hot water bottle felt good on the stomach, and the heating pad was good on the back, and yes I used both at the same time.
6. Small cooler beside the couch with water/juice/pop whatever in it. Cold and easy at hand. It is difficult moving around for the first little while.
7. Tea that helps you relax. You sleeping might get a little off, I ended up more having naps, and am still having a hard time getting on a normal sleeping schedule.
8. For the ride home, plan a route that has as few bumps as possible, make sure your driver will take turns slow, and go VERY slow over bumps.
9. Fiber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It hurts to have a BM more than I ever thought it could. Have a mild laxative around just in-case. I was begging for a laxative the second night I was in the hospital.
10. Comfy lose clothes, a pair of soft pj bottoms that are a little lose on the tummy are a GOOD thing. A nice comfy sweatshirt is a good thing too.
11. Ask your doctor what pain meds you will be given and read up on the meds (I was given perceset and well my house growled at me, the floor moved a bit, and I had to take them laying down, or they made me dizzy, but I am sensitive to meds)
12. Do what you want before the surgery when it comes to cleaning/organizing my boyfriend works midnights, and there are 2 kids in this house, I had to mentally prepare myself for my house not to be as clean as it normally is, I know he would do the necessities, but I was the one that did the 20 min tidy at night lol
13. Talk to friends and make sure you have a couple of people that you can talk to about how you are feeling on a daily basis. My grandma was a huge support for me, she had a hysterectomy fairly young as well (I am 32) but she was there to talk about my pain, answer my questions, and laugh at some of the things that the doctors do not tell you)
14. Make a path in your house that you can walk a few times a day, and increase the "laps" that you do. It helps leg cramping.
15. For me it still is kinda painful to sit on my bum, I feel pulling, if you have to sit make sure you can roll on your hips.
16. PILLOWS I found a pillow in-between my legs while sleeping alleviated my pain a bit, and prevented me from rolling on my tummy (OW).

Those are a few things I can think of that I did or wished I had done before. I hope that helps. I know its a big list but the more info the better. Feel free to ask me anything. I will be open and honest.
Sincerely,
WaterStar
Unread 04-14-2012, 03:12 AM

In the weeks before my op I painted the whole house did a kitchen renovation and spent two weeks overseas, keep busy.

On the practical side if you are house proud clean everything you can think of, unles like me you realised that it would only need doing again by the time you of out of hospital! Lol

Show someone in the family how to use the washing machine, dryer and dishwasher so there are NO excuses lol

Get your hair cut and coloured just before so you at least looks good while you are recovering.

Make sure you have these things ready for your return home
Heat pack
Stool softener
Paracetamol
Some light foods that you enjoy when you are not feeling well. I shopped for the whole family and had lots of things in the freezer for them but i didnt think of what I might like eg soup and crackers custard, bananas, jelly.

I wish i had one of those things with a claw at the end of a long handle for picking things up, I used a long pair of tongs, it's amazing how many things you drop on the floor!

Comfy underwear

Plan what clothes you will be comfy in so you don't have to dig through your wardrobe to find all your elastic waisted pants and loose dresses.

Think about where you are going to spend your first days at home , bed or lounge room and see if you can make a handy spot for your water, medication, magazines etc near by, I moved our coffee table so I was all set up and tried out how and where I was gong to sit/lay.

Even things like where you plug your phone into charge, I had to bend to plug mine in so I had to move it.

Most of all do not dwell on your upcoming surgery for the next 5 weeks you will work yourself up, keep busy.
Xx
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2012, 08:17 AM

I was very glad I had the following at the hospital:
-Gas X gel pills
-a robe
-chapstick
-Panty liners/pads
-Sleeping mask
-Notepad and pen to write down questions/responses from doctor
-phone charger for overnight stay in hospital
-lotion to massage on belly to move gas
-small pillow in car to put between belly and seat belt on ride home
-bucket in car--- just in case of nausea

I wish I had brought my own heating pad since it helped a lot with the gas pains after the laparoscopic surgery and the nurse had to have doctor's orders to provide me with one. I also wish I had asked the doctor for the pain prescriptions prior to surgery so I didn't have to stop on the way home to fill them.

When I arrived home, I was happy I had:
-asked the dr for anti-nausea suppositories (Phenergan)
-Stool softener as I was told to start taking it three times a day immediately
-bottled water so I could set a daily goal and track it easily
-frosted mini wheats to eat with medication even when I wasn't hungry as the meds required food to avoid nausea and mini-wheats have fiber
- A "TV" pillow- this is the type of pillow with a big back and two little arms. I had to sleep on it the second night to help with heartburn pain. I use it during the day when I watch TV as well.
-Comfy PJs, underwear, and sleeping bra. PJs from Kohls, Underwear from Target, and sleeping bra from JC Penneys... I'm completely comfortable, and if anyone stops by I am decent.
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:20 AM

I think you have had some awesome suggestions already. I would add the following:

1. Comfy underwear = at least one size bigger than normal and the brief type that go all the way to your belly button. You will not want anything rubbing your incision. Think that way for any lounging sweats/warm up pants/etc. They need to be able to pull up to your belly button.

2. Zofran from the doctor is great for nausea and does not cause you to be super tired like phenegren. I have used both since I have severe post-anesthesia nausea. I prefer the zofran unless the nausea is out of control. Then I ask for phenegren so I can pass out.

3. Clean the house really well in advance. You may not be able to do it for awhile.

4. Don't go burning all your maxi pads in advance to celebrate. You will need some light ones and panty liners for a little while.

Good luck!
Unread 04-15-2012, 05:54 PM

I wrote every bit of that down! Thank you so much!
I knew about the freezer foods. I am one of those moms that have absolutely spoiled my family-- they are not going to know what to do with me down, and so I am trying to prepare them. They would seriously starve if I don't have food on hand that is easy to reheat. I really don't think my husband thinks he will have to do laundry-- he is saying, oh surely you will be able to move around within 3 or 4 days-- oh man he just has no idea. He doesn't even know how to load or run the washer. 5 weeks is going to be basic training here!
Unread 04-15-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipppy View Post
In the weeks before my op I painted the whole house did a kitchen renovation and spent two weeks overseas, keep busy.

On the practical side if you are house proud clean everything you can think of, unles like me you realised that it would only need doing again by the time you of out of hospital! Lol

Show someone in the family how to use the washing machine, dryer and dishwasher so there are NO excuses lol

Get your hair cut and coloured just before so you at least looks good while you are recovering.

Make sure you have these things ready for your return home
Heat pack
Stool softener
Paracetamol
Some light foods that you enjoy when you are not feeling well. I shopped for the whole family and had lots of things in the freezer for them but i didnt think of what I might like eg soup and crackers custard, bananas, jelly.

I wish i had one of those things with a claw at the end of a long handle for picking things up, I used a long pair of tongs, it's amazing how many things you drop on the floor!

Comfy underwear

Plan what clothes you will be comfy in so you don't have to dig through your wardrobe to find all your elastic waisted pants and loose dresses.

Think about where you are going to spend your first days at home , bed or lounge room and see if you can make a handy spot for your water, medication, magazines etc near by, I moved our coffee table so I was all set up and tried out how and where I was gong to sit/lay.

Even things like where you plug your phone into charge, I had to bend to plug mine in so I had to move it.

Most of all do not dwell on your upcoming surgery for the next 5 weeks you will work yourself up, keep busy.
Xx
Karen
I ordered a 10ft long iPod cord-- silly but I wanted to make sure it would reach my couch!
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:39 PM

my surgery is also scheduled for may 22nd.I found all the information right here to be very helpful especially the anti nausea medicine. I knew about the stool softeners but not the anti nausea .
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:41 PM

My surgery is the same day also...
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:08 PM

I'm cleaning and organizing and I think hubby gets how long it will take for me to be back on my feet. he keeps telling me not to worry about food or anything because he can handle it. keep your fingers crossed for me

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register