What was your experience starting HRT if you waited until you had meno symptoms before starting? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What was your experience starting HRT if you waited until you had meno symptoms before starting? What was your experience starting HRT if you waited until you had meno symptoms before starting?

Unread 02-20-2021, 01:22 PM
What was your experience starting HRT if you waited until you had meno symptoms before starting?

My surgery was in mid Sept and I didn’t feel like I needed HRT til the end of the year. I had sleep issues, mood issues, and brain fog which led me to ask for the HRT I initially declined.
I just started twice weekly .5 patch. The first week I thought I already felt a positive effect, although that might have just been relief to be doing something. It’s been about a month now. The past week or so I’ve begun to have occasional warm flashes- not sweating but just torso briefly warming for no reason and I’m feeling angry and weepy (altho life like IS stressful for all of us and everyone we know, right?). I know I need to give it a couple months for my body to adjust but I never had warm or hot flashes before- even tho I was menopausal prior to surgery.
I’m wondering how it was for others that waited to start HRT until they already had a lot of meno symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2021, 01:52 PM
Re: What was your experience starting HRT if you waited until you had meno symptoms before starting?

I had gone through natural menopause with many hotflashes but no other symptoms, and no HRT. But after my ovaries were removed, I had terrible hotflashes, sleep issues, and terrible brain fog. I started HRT for the first time and was better the first month on the Climara patch. I do alternate side to side, and after reading not to alternate front to back, I don’t do that. I do still sometimes have hotflashes but milder and infrequent. I use the lowest dose but I notice many here report using higher. I know it can take time to see the results, and dose requirements can vary. If I forget to change the patch on time I can feel it. I know changes can be premature so maybe a symptom diary would help better track your progress so you and your Dr can assess how things are going. I hope you see more improvements soon, I know how difficult menopause symptoms can be for some of us.
Unread 02-20-2021, 02:15 PM
Re: What was your experience starting HRT if you waited until you had meno symptoms before starting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyown View Post
I had gone through natural menopause with many hotflashes but no other symptoms, and no HRT. But after my ovaries were removed, I had terrible hotflashes, sleep issues, and terrible brain fog. I started HRT for the first time and was better the first month on the Climara patch. I do alternate side to side, and after reading not to alternate front to back, I don’t do that. I do still sometimes have hotflashes but milder and infrequent. I use the lowest dose but I notice many here report using higher. I know it can take time to see the results, and dose requirements can vary. If I forget to change the patch on time I can feel it. I know changes can be premature so maybe a symptom diary would help better track your progress so you and your Dr can assess how things are going. I hope you see more improvements soon, I know how difficult menopause symptoms can be for some of us.

Thanks for sharing your experience! It’s interesting to hear you also had more pronounced menopause symptoms after your surgery.
I have been noting my warm flashes and really messed up emotional days in a calendar but will think about doing a more detailed symptom diary. Thanks again greyown!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2021, 02:52 PM

My surgery was also an LSH, keeping both ovaries too. I was already 54 and had been experiencing some night sweats, but nothing too severe. I was late to the menopause party as my mother was, although I'm not sure if my periods were due to the fibroids, adeno (they certainly made bleeding worse), or just not yet in menopause.

A year after surgery I had a base line bone density scan and was diagnosed with osteopenia. I went on Fosamax for that, after doing research and also learning that my mother had the same and did the same. Genetics... I'm definitely my mother's daughter...! After two years I came off of that as expected, but then started having vaginal dryness and more noticeable night sweats. Not wanting the dryness to turn to atrophy, I talked to my doctor about HRT. Initially I was on a gel (top tier pharmaceutical), but insurance didn't adequately cover it so I went on a generic estradiol patch which I change once a week. Vaginal dryness gone, still get overheated occasionally... I work out rather intensely with weights so I'm not too concerned about bone density during the year - I'll see what the scan is this year.

I'm not surprised I started noticing more symptoms after my hysterectomy, but I also think it's the age rather than the surgery.

Like Greyown, if I slack off on replacing the patch... I start getting more uncomfortable!

Unread 02-22-2021, 03:10 PM

i didn't have menopause symptoms but did get my hormone levels checked every so often. once it showed i was past menopause, i started bioidentical hormones for bone and heart health.
Unread 02-23-2021, 05:48 PM

I had my hysterectomy a few years after going through natural menopause and was already experiencing hot flashes and night sweats before my surgery. My doctor had put me on clonidine which helped control them. A couple of months after my hysterectomy I started having more aggressive symptoms (which I was not expecting!) but tried to alleviate them by eating more estrogen rich foods, etc. That lasted for a few months but in January I couldn't cope with the symptoms anymore and am now on a .5 estradiol patch which is changed twice a week. My symptoms disappeared within a few days, but a couple of weeks ago I noticed that I now have breast tenderness and I've gone up nearly a cup size. But happy to put up with that rather than not sleeping properly and waking up drenched!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register