I have no clue if a hysterectomy is the answer! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have no clue if a hysterectomy is the answer! I have no clue if a hysterectomy is the answer!

Unread 12-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I have no clue if a hysterectomy is the answer!

I am 43 and have a fibroid on my uterine wall. Usually the first day of my period I have some terrible cramping and most of the time, Tylenol or Midol doesn't touch the pain. On the second day the heavy bleeding hits and clots come. There are times where I pass huge clots and if I am not near a restroom, I am in trouble! This will last for at least a 12-24 hour period and then I go back to a regular period. Some months it may last longer. I also have cramping (abdominal/back) to go along with it. Also a very heavy pressure feeling in the vaginal area when the clotting is going on. Almost very uncomfortable to be on my feet at the time that I am passing clots. 14 years ago I had a dermoid cyst removed from one of my ovaries during my 1st trimester of pregnancy and have had no problems with that since. My OB/GYN did a did a biopsy of the fibroid and it was not cancerous. He recommended a Hysterectomy. Don't get me wrong I would love for all of this to go away but on the other hand I don't want to do something that is not necessary if there are other options. Has anyone had any similar problems or have any ideas for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2008, 08:29 PM

i had heavy periods and had the lsh. it might be something you want to look into if you definitely need a hysterectomy. it done through lap, just tiny incisions in your belly. the cervix and ovaries are retained. i had a great experiece and would recommend it to anyone. good luck!
Unread 12-02-2008, 09:42 PM

I did not have fibroids but I had uterine prolapse and enlarged uterus. I had pain during intercourse and pains that ran down my legs everyday but always worst during men cycle. I was very worried about having surgery because I am not good with pain. My only regret with my discision is I should of had my surgery earlier. I had TVA surgery and lost right ovary because it was embedded in uterus. My doctor did A&P repair and bladder sling. I do not had leakage when I sneeze anymore. Yea! Sex is no longer painful. Yea! I no longer have periods. Yea!! I am feeling great. Lost my large belly due to enlarge uterus. I am now just eleven weeks post op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2008, 11:00 PM

Gee, your periods sound pretty normal to me -- not something I would have had a hysterectomy for. The last several years I had mine, they came every 20 days and lasted 10 days or more, so I had my period at least half of the time. The first few days I had to stay near a bathroom and was in a lot of pain. I guess I always thought everyone had a similar experience; it didn't seem cause for surgery.

I had my hysterectomy for a sudden severe prolapse where one day I was fine and the next, I looked down and saw my cervix hanging out of my body. Now that was something worth fixing -- dangerous enough that the risks of surgery were less than the risks of not doing it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do -- do your homework and take your time deciding. Once removed, those body parts can't be put back.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-03-2008, 06:31 AM

Have you had an ultrasound? What is the estimated size of the fibroid? If it is not too large than there are other much less invasive methods of dealing with it!
Unread 12-03-2008, 06:47 PM

Thanks for all you answers to my question. You girls have got me thinking and I will definitely do some investigating into this and not just rush right into it. I am most likely going to have a 2nd opinion. For some reason something in the back of my mind is telling me to investigate it further. This sight is a wonderful place and I will definitely be sharing it with my girlfriends!
Unread 12-03-2008, 09:52 PM

Hi there,

I am also in a similar situation of having to consider a hyster.. but for different reasons.

BUT.... I did, like you, have HORRIBLE periods.. terrible cramping like labor pains and total flooding. It was an awful time each month. I did not have any fibroids. Birth control pills helped me, but I could not continue with them due to migraines.

I had a Novasure ablation in dec 2007. It stopped my periods cold. I do have other issues tho... I have spotted everyday for a year, but I think that may be related to a totally different problem (I had a permanent cerclage in place that was causing problems).

I am currently having pain and pressure, but I don't know if it has any relation to the Novasure or my cerclage problem. I kinda think it is the cerclage/scar tissue causing my troubles. Other than not knowing for sure, I would highly recommend trying the ablation first. I know a lot of women who are very happy with it. But I don't know if they can do it with a fibroid in there. Glad you are getting a second opinion!!!

Good luck!

CC
Unread 12-05-2008, 09:33 PM

CC:

Thanks so much for your response to my post. I will definitely check into the Novasure. We sound like we have similar cases and maybe that would be another route I could take.
Unread 12-05-2008, 10:45 PM

Hi AuntTiTi

I wasn't a good candidate for an endometrial ablation, but I'd seen it work beautifully for others so I wanted to give it a try myself. (Mine was a rollerball ablation.) Although it didn't work for me, it was very worth a morning of my time. I was asleep for the procedure, but (for me) the whole experience/recovery was much, MUCH easier than having one of my horrific periods.

One other option I would have liked to have tried that I didn't get a chance to, is the Mirena system. It often thins the uterine lining. Less lining = less to shed each month & periods are often much lighter. (Some women don't bleed at all after several months.) One of my sisters has this and barely needs a pantiliner now.

Whatever you decide, I hope it's something that suites your comfort level. I knew I had significant problems, but if I had gone right to hysterectomy I would not have known if any of the other options *might* have worked. Alternatives to hysterectomy do work for many women. I hope you are one of them.

Best wishes and as you find something that works for you . Please keep us posted, okay?

Options & Alternatives Articles

Hysterectomy Alternatives & Fibroids from our resource section.

Mirena (click on Mirena & your menstrual cycle)

Beth
Unread 12-06-2008, 11:46 PM
ablation

Hi. I can't remember exactly, but I thought that fibroids made an ablation less likely to work. Check out that Novasure site and it should have some info. on it. And you will want to check out this other site http://endometrialablationboard.yuku.com/ They are sort of affiliated somehow, someway with this site. Great board. I used to go there a lot. Tons of info. on ablations.

Take care of yourself,

Kara

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register