Scheduled TAH pain relief | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-28-2012, 01:42 PM
pain relief

Sorry another question, keep thinking of everything I should have asked! I am scheduled on Mon 1st october for a TAH what pain killers do you get when you go home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Re: pain relier

Also I had oral morphine with my last op 5 weeks ago and it made me very sick, I will this time have one that I control with a button will it make me sick? I am phobic about being sick! Sorry to sound like a complete wimp!
Unread 09-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Re: pain relief

My TAH was 5 days ago. The gave me morphine immediately post op and it made me extremely ill...dizziness, nauseau, vomiting, and blurred vision. They switched me to Torodol which is not a narcotic but less effective. I came home with Percocet, which is okay as long as I eat before taking it.

I don't blame you about being nervous about the morphine. Just be sure to let the doc know about your previous experience in advance. I wish you all the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2012, 02:19 PM

Thanks for your advice, will speak to them before the op. Trouble is I went through all the sickness and it still did not help the pain!
Unread 09-28-2012, 02:37 PM

Ask for a epidural, it is amazing for some people as for going home I had morphine tablets, though I hear that makes you sick good luck to you.
Unread 09-28-2012, 03:14 PM

have a good chat beforehand and tell them you are intolerant to morphine. There are other options.
For example, I was given a Pain Buster (google it if you're interested) that dripped local anaesthetic in to my incision for 72 hours. It meant I didn't need more than just over the counter drugs. (I can't take morphine, makes me feel ill)
I was sent home with a bottle of liquid morphine and anti sickness drugs just in case I needed something strong, (never took any of it) plus 5 days supply of paracetomol and ibuprofen. (this was a UK hospital) I then went and bought more of these drugs and continued on them for a couple more weeks.

Hope that helps!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register