Scheduled TAH Upcoming hysterectomy 11/16: What did you REALLY need in the hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 11/16: What did you REALLY need in the hospital? Upcoming hysterectomy 11/16: What did you REALLY need in the hospital?

Unread 11-13-2018, 11:20 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/16: What did you REALLY need in the hospital?

So I've been reading around, about what to take for the 3-4 days I'm gonna be in the hospital, and I read about lip balm, comfy clothes, a pillow for the ride home, phone charger among other things.

Even after my childbirths I haven't stayed much in the hospital, nor I remember what I wore or what I needed. I just remember "diapers, wet wipes, baby's clothes".

The pants I normally wear are jeans without buttons nor zippers, and they're a size bigger lately. Would those suffice, along with my long t-shirts and sweaters? Or will the incision be that bad and just take my extremely comfortable pyjamas instead?

I am even willing to get into the car for the ride home on my pyjamas, as I am one of those rare women who just hates going for shopping.

Will I be able to use my toiletries (hair brush and a bun, tooth brush, or even a shower?) during my 3 day stay at the hospital?

Is there anything else I might need, other than comfy clothes, toiletries and my phone to keep busy? Was the pillow for the ride home helpful?

I also have a binder (which is normally for after birth) which I used when going out, as to look (walk and sit) normal when I was in great uterine pain. Will that help or is that a no-no for abdominal hysterectomies?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2018, 12:17 PM
Re: What did you REALLY need in the hospital?

I had a 2 night stay and I just took my toiletries, slippers and comfortable pyjamas. I wore home what I wore to the hospital, loose sweatpants and sweatshirt. Every hospital is different. I was allowed to change into my pyjamas the first morning after surgery but others report the hospital requiring them to stay in the provided gown. As for the binder, I never wanted or needed one but if you do want to use it check with your doctor as some do not recommend them.
Unread 11-13-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel66 View Post
I had a 2 night stay and I just took my toiletries, slippers and comfortable pyjamas. I wore home what I wore to the hospital, loose sweatpants and sweatshirt. Every hospital is different. I was allowed to change into my pyjamas the first morning after surgery but others report the hospital requiring them to stay in the provided gown. As for the binder, I never wanted or needed one but if you do want to use it check with your doctor as some do not recommend them.
This was very helpful. Thank you. Yes I think I will try not to use the binder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2018, 12:38 PM

Two things that I found helpful during a previous hospital stay and which are often overlooked are an extension cord (those phone charger cords are short and the nearest outlet is usually behind the bed) and a string (the string to control the light over your bed is almost never long enough for you to reach while in the bed.)

If you don't mind wearing the PJ bottoms home, I would definitely go with them over the jeans. You will likely be swollen and tender. Even though the jeans are a size larger, jeans tend to be unforgiving when you sit down in the car.
Unread 11-13-2018, 06:13 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/16: What did you REALLY need in the hospital?

I only stayed overnight so I didn't need much. I wore yoga pants & a tee shirt. I brought my brush, my Nook (which I never used), my phone charger, & a change of underwear. I wore the hospital gown. It was much easier with someone always taking vitals & with the iv & the catheter. For a couple extra days, I would definitely bring some reading material either books or magazines. I don't know about toiletries cuz I wasn't there long enough.
Unread 11-13-2018, 07:40 PM

What the hospital gives you by way of supplies is going to vary depending on which country you're in. I've noticed that sisters in the States seem to get a lot more freebies than I did in Canada! What they give you in Portugal, I have no idea.

Be aware that you're *not* going to be asleep the whole time, especially after the first day. I'd've gone bonkers if I hadn't brought books, a notebook and some pens for scribbling. I see a lot of sisters post about bringing phones and chargers. There were *no* free electrical outlets in my half of the semi-private room I was in, and I don't think that's because my roommate was hogging them all either. The two pumps on my IV stand took up two, my bed took up another one, etc.

I wore a loose T-shirt and pants that were too big around the waist to the hospital. I clipped the waist of the pants in with a safety pin. To go home, I took the safety pin out. They fit perfectly. :-) But I couldn't fit my feet into my sneakers because my feet were too swollen.

While in the hospital, I wore the gowns and underwear the hospital provided. Heck, let *them* do the laundry! And they also gave me compression stockings, which I wasn't allowed to take off and wore for almost four days straight. :-(

I was glad I brought a light-weight, long-sleeved bathrobe because my long, skinny arms were chilled in the hospital AC. The bathrobe also provided more coverage down below for walks around the ward - I wasn't flashing my bony knees at everyone. Croc wannabes were great for providing secure footing when walking. That's what I wore home on my feet.

My hospital provided a basin of warm water, a bar of soap, a couple of facecloths and a nurse to help wash my back every morning. I used my hairbrush, toothbrush and toothpaste from home. Giving my hair a good brushing helped me feel more comfortable about not being able to wash it. I wore deodorant for the two-hour ride home on my third day because a friend was giving me a ride and I felt it was polite.

A small flat pillow for the ride home is a great thing to have. My friend brought one with her from her place when she came to pick me up.
Unread 11-13-2018, 07:51 PM

Oh - something I brought that I never used: a French-English dictionary. New Brunswick is a bilingual province. Some hospitals are predominantly English, some are predominantly French. My surgery was at a French hospital because that's where my gyn onc is based. He's francophone himself, and the medical students he works with come from a university in Quebec. Some of them are learning to communicate with patients in English for the first time.

I speak a bit of French, but when I'm on narcotics or in pain, not so much! Hence the dictionary.

As it turned out, I never used it. The hospital staff were absolutely lovely. If I had a question that the person I was speaking to couldn't handle in English, they'd go get someone else who could. I never felt unable to communicate at all.

I hope your experience is similar! :-)
Unread 11-13-2018, 08:17 PM

Hi CPtechie -

I had a 3 1/2 day stay in the hospital in the US. They wanted me to wear their gown the whole time, except for my last day when I was getting ready to go home. I wore to the hospital what I wore home - loose fitting t-shirt and sweats. All toiletries were provided, including pads (yes there was some bleeding, and yes there was discharge.)

You may want to bring a rob, as they will have you up and walking the halls of the hospital.

I brought reading material, but it was one of my scientific journals and was too intense for my brain at the time. Bring very light reading as you may not be able to concentrate.

A cell phone charge is a must.

You may need to ask what you should and should not bring. I would also leave all valuables at home - that was recommended for my stay.
Unread 11-13-2018, 10:32 PM

This is a great thread. I did not know what to take with me to the hospital so I packed a bag with some toiletries, slippers, and comfortable clothes (although I had to be in a gown for my overnight stay). I would recommend sweat pants or pajama bottoms for sure. I’m 5 weeks post op and still have a hard time in jeans. Bring whatever makes you feel comfortable. The incisions get rubbed easily by clothes so you may want to bring some options (depending on where the incisions sit on your belly). I wish you comfort and healing in your surgery and post op! Remember to take things slow and let your body rest. You won’t regret it!
Unread 11-14-2018, 04:03 AM

For wearing to the hospital, I chose drawstring pants, which could be loosened for the trip home. If you will be bringing your phone, check your app store for the following apps: an English/Portuguese dictionary; a notepad or voice recorder to keep track of any important information; a medication organizer to keep track of your pain medications; and a few games or puzzles to pass the time. With your surgeon's approval, here are a few more suggestions: powederd or crystallized ginger for nausea from the anaesthesia; Gas-X or fennel seeds for gas relief; throat lozenges for soreness from the breathing tube; and magmesium-rich dark chocolate to get your bowels moving. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register