What is happening | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is happening What is happening

Unread 10-13-2004, 06:07 PM
What is happening

I recently posted on the new comers board and they suggested I try here to get some idea of what is happening. It may be easier for you to read it from the new comer board but if you don't have the time this is the problem in a nut shell. I went for my yearly pap test, it resulted in a cone biopsy for a low grad dysplasia. After the cone biopsy I'm told that it's a high grade dysplasia. I was also told that these are slow growing, if they are cancer...which the doctor says is not cancer. But why should I believe what they are telling me because I went from no problems in 2003 to a high grade in 2004. I'm calling the doctor tomorrow because I want to find out why the sudden change and possible surgery. Has this happened to anyone, can you help me understand.

Thanks
Anne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2004, 06:45 AM
What is happening

I had cervical cancer myself but I didn't go thru the precurcers to finding it. (It was found after my hyst)

I do not have any real answers for you but I will try and send some one your way to help.

Did your doctor say that the margins were clear?? If so that is a good sign.

Best wishes and Good Luck

God Bless
Unread 10-14-2004, 07:04 AM
What is happening

Hi Anne

I don't have much knowledge on the subject either.

I just wanted to share that if you are not completely satisfied and informed about your diagnosis, then please get a second opinion.

I hope someone will come along and share their experience with this.
In the meantime I'm sending you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2004, 08:28 PM
What is happening

(((Anne)))

I'm sorry to hear that you are having these problems. And how frustrating for you to have communication issues! You must have been quite concerned when you returned to work to find a message there that was left in July!

Keep in mind that the PAP is just a screening tool. While it can provide some indication of the level of involvement, it's not really the PAP's job to say exactly what's going on. So, when an abnormal PAP occurs, the next step is a biopsy, and then a LEEP or cone biopsy. Each of those are progressively more technical and provides additional information. The cone biopsy is also considered to be a treatment. It removes a large area, and the goal is to remove a large enough area that all of the abnormal cells are removed and additionally some of the healthy surrounding tissue is removed. If healthy tissue is visualized all the way around the abnormal cells during the pathology, then it's assumed that all of the abnormal cells were removed during the procedure.

Cervical cancer is generally slow-growing, but not always. The fact that you went from a normal test to an abnormal test in one year's time, though, is quite common. It's concerning, but common. It's possible that you simply started developing problems shortly after your 2203 PAP. It's also possible that there were already some abnormal cells at the time of your 2003 PAP that simply weren't picked up during the sampling process. I once had a normal PAP in September, and had carcinoma-in-situ in December of that same year. Its frustrating!

The statistics show that most women are considered to be cured after a cone (approximately 90%). A certain number of those will recur somewhere down the road and can be treated again with another cone. Lots of things can cause this to develop quickly--stress is considered to be one of the contributors.

I know it doesn't sound very slow-growing when you go from normal to abnormal in one year. While treatment is essentially a necessity, it's also important to remember that not all cases of dysplasia will develop into cancer. We just don't know which cases will and which won't, so treatment is really important. Now that you've been treated, hopefully you will never have another problem!

You might like to try to work on your immune system to help you fight off this virus for the long-term. Eat well. Take a multivitamin (folic acid is believed to help keep the virus from making our cells change into an abnormal state). Get plenty of sleep. Exercise moderately. Pray/meditate/do yoga. All of these things are believed to help improve the body's immune responses.

Good luck! Remember to continue receiving regular PAP's. Most of us go every 3 months for the first 2 years, then yearly. Check with your doctor for your follow up schedule! Let us know how you are getting along!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register