where are all the success stories? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

where are all the success stories? where are all the success stories?

Unread 03-02-2005, 11:32 AM
where are all the success stories?

I have only been here a short while and in searching for success stories, I find they are hard to come by. Is this forum more for people to get help for all of their post-op side effects? I know everyone is different, but when you haven't had your surgery yet you tend to look for more positive stories. Anyone have one they care to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2005, 11:39 AM

Hi,

You hit the nail on the head! Usually, the ladies who post on this board are the ones who are having some type of problem and who need help. Ladies who are having an uneventful recovery may not post at all. So, it seems a little lopsided.

Let me assure you though, there are many, many success stories. If you want to read about my experience, click the View My Journal link under my avatar to the left. And I'm sure you'll find others as well.

s,

Lisa
Unread 03-02-2005, 11:44 AM

Zim,
I'm sure there are alot of success stories out there. I think that most people tend to post asking questions when they have problems and not when everything is going good. People tend to stop coming to read and post at the boards when the surgery is over and they are dong good and have no problems. I am just two months post op and would say that so far I'm a success story, if you want to call it that. My surgery went well, with no complications, except for alot of gas afterwards. I've healed well and am now back to my normal routine except I do get the swelly belly when I do to much. But that IS normal, as we tend to take 6 months to a year to fully heal from surgery. Right now I am working on getting my HRT regulated, which is a learning and trial and error experience for most ladies.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your upcoming surgery that I can answer, feel free to send me a private message by clicking under my profile to the left.

Jackie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2005, 11:46 AM

Hi!

I am a success story!

Had a TAH on November 25, 2004 for a large fibroid, adenomyosis and severe flooding and pain. Had a horizontal incision with 13 staples.

Surgery was fine. Hospital stay was good. No problems with incision. Healed beautifully. Didn't have a drop of blood after leaving the hospital. NO PADS NEEDED! Pain was moderate but manageable. Was walking up and down the stairs the first day. Slept in my bed the first night. Bowel movements and gas pains were the worst. But those rectified themselves within the first couple of weeks. Showered on my own, with no assistance. Appetite was minimal at first, but within a couple of weeks I was eating normal again.

Had a wonderful supportive husband and kids were helpful. Rested and pampered myself the full eight weeks. Didn't lift anything heavier than a dinner dish the whole time.

I attribute my easy recovery to abiding by the rule book. Didn't do anything except my little walks, drank my water, rested, napped, and put my feet up a lot!

You will find that on the post op forum, there are more women looking for advice for problems they may be experiencing during their post op. Also, women who are looking for similar circumstances related to their stage of post-op. There are positives here too.

You can check out the Beyond the Land of Hyster forum.

Best wishes,

Sarah
Unread 03-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Successful story

Hi, Zim46!

My surgery and recovery have been totally uneventful and entirely successful. Everything has been going as expected after major surgery like this. I'm very happy to be where I am today with my health. I know my body is functioning normally again. I'm looking forward to a pain free future focused on everything but the yucky things I had to pay attention to before my SAH.

There are a lot of success stories. Most of us are here supporting and encouraging other women like you who are just getting started. I hope you will find what you need here at Hystersisters. It's a great place!

Best wishes to you!

Cinderellen
Unread 03-02-2005, 11:54 AM

I actually talked to someone about that just before my surgery. There are over 60,000 members listed, of course A LOT of them had successful surgeries. It is the ones who do have problems or concerns that you continue to see after, that's nothing bad. The lucky ones move on but you will see some of them come back on their hysterversary (sp?) to share how good they are doing and offer support to those of us who are here and now. Hostesses... is there a thread just for that that show the success?
Unread 03-02-2005, 11:56 AM

I agree with you about the Post Op section because it almost seems like one might be "throwing it in others faces" if one were to gloat about their success. I think that is what the journal area is for. I appreciate all the well wishes from those who do come to the post-op board for even the slightest of problems because at this point they are more than likely just "slight" compared to the fears and worries of the actual surgery. The fact that we are posting is a good sign but it's the reassurances that we will be even better that make this such a wonderful board.
I will be thinking of you, zim.
fritha
Unread 03-02-2005, 11:57 AM

Hi, This thread has a lot of success stories in it: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ighlight=crazy
Shortly after it was started someone started a similar thread here on the post-op board but I can't remember the name of it right now.

I consider myself a success story. There hasn't been a day go by that I haven't been amazed at how smooth my recovery has been. I was so sure it had to be worse. ;-) The only draw back has been that by recovering so well it led my family to start thinking I was completely recovered much too soon. They needed a few gentle reminders that I still expected help with some of the chores.
Unread 03-02-2005, 12:02 PM
hi

You can read my posts as well, most if not all are positive as I know 99% of how we perceive life and what happens to us is our attitude and taking action to fix what we can and learning to accept the things we can not fix and move on no matter the cards in life we are dealt. I am 4 months post-op in 2 days and I am still around and still come here and post and probably will for a long time as no one understands this and the impact on our life like another hystersister......
Unread 03-02-2005, 12:15 PM

I think you may see that there is success on the PRE-op pages, that's because the ones who have 'been there done that' offer encouragement to those who scared of the unknown. There's not a lot of detail but more of 'I had the same thing, I did fine you will too' And I don't think anyone is trying to fool them either, I think over all we're pretty truthful because we're faceless.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register